Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:01 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,679,562 times

Advertisements

If you're on a dating site looking for friends, you're at the wrong place. That is why they're called DATING sites. Go to a friend website to look for a friend. Dating sites are for people who are looking for dates. And there must be some degree of interest there if you've agreed to meet up. It's pretty much understood that nothing is guaranteed until you meet. And even then nothing is guaranteed. But please understand, everyone is there to ultimately find a date. If you don't like someone enough to go out on another date with them, then you simply don't go out with them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 12:11 PM

34,119 posts, read 83,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
It's pretty much understood that...
Nope. That's the problem.

There is very little in life that you can count on being "pretty much understood"
on pretty much any topic until you've had quite a while to sort through a fair bit of stuff.
This is especially so as it relates to men and women getting along.

And *that* is the real point here.
How much of that "sorting through" anyone should do before they have even met someone.

Which is why you (ta dah!) meet them.
And as early as possible.

Just don't think of it as a date... 'cause it ain't.
The date (if there is to be one) comes after.

hth

ps: If otoh you're using the word "date" to describe a SWNS hook-up off craigslist or such...
then maybe you should just stop using the word "date" altogether.

Last edited by MrRational; 10-24-2011 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: added ps

Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,639,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I was just curious if you consider meeting up for the first time to be a "date" when done from an online dating site. I don't because I think dates insinuate some mutual interest is already established whereas simply meeting up for the first time is to see if there is any interest in the first place. Thoughts?
I know guys do. Its not easy meeting a girl from online. Why wouldn't it be? It's the first times ur laying eyes on eachother. If ur saying more than hello, then I think its a first date.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:25 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,198,299 times
Quote:
I was just curious if you consider meeting up for the first time to be a "date" when done from an online dating site. I don't because I think dates insinuate some mutual interest is already established whereas simply meeting up for the first time is to see if there is any interest in the first place. Thoughts?
Sure, just like some Virginians go to their family reunions to look for a date. Same thing

Old 10-24-2011, 12:27 PM

31,089 posts, read 22,143,475 times
Quote:
Cool. That's what I'm doing tonight. Going out for a drink.
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
Sure, just like some Virginians go to their family reunions to look for a date. Same thing
Oh come on, you don't have to be a Virginian to make friendly with your cousin. CWB dude! Cousin with benifits

Old 10-24-2011, 12:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,920,002 times
It's a date. You dress up and go out to eat. Go to a movie or play, or whatever. Ladies shave their legs get nice clothes to wear. Look all pretty. Men get a hair cut, shave or trim their beard. Wear decent clothes. Stop at the bank for cash flow. Usually they talk more and enjoy the activities planned out. Many ladies have a plan if the date goes sour. They have a friend call them or lie to bail them out. Fake a really bad headache(I have done this). I heard of men having friends call them as well. Or double date let the friends help out. Some just endure the date and hope it is done and over. Some love the date and have to wait three days or more for a phone call. Then this makes the lady think if it went well or not.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:42 PM

22,382 posts, read 29,502,255 times
No, drinks is drinks. Dinner/movie/etc is a date. You have to see if there's chemistry or if they even look like thier pictures!!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:43 PM

31,089 posts, read 22,143,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
It's a date. You dress up and go out to eat. Go to a movie or play, or whatever. Ladies shave their legs get nice clothes to wear. Look all pretty. Men get a hair cut, shave or trim their beard. Wear decent clothes. Stop at the bank for cash flow. Usually they talk more and enjoy the activities planned out. Many ladies have a plan if the date goes sour. They have a friend call them or lie to bail them out. Fake a really bad headache(I have done this). I heard of men having friends call them as well. Or double date let the friends help out. Some just endure the date and hope it is done and over. Some love the date and have to wait three days or more for a phone call. Then this makes the lady think if it went well or not.
Yep! Thats what its all about I don't think Ive had a bad date in years.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:53 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,413,269 times
It's a "Meet" in my book. Some of those "meets" lasted a lot longer than I intended. God, when I think back to the first guy I met online.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 PM

34,119 posts, read 83,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You dress up and go out to eat.
Go to a movie or play, or whatever.
Ladies shave their legs get nice clothes to wear. Look all pretty.
Men get a hair cut, shave or trim their beard.
Wear decent clothes.
Stop at the bank for cash flow.
Usually they talk more and enjoy the activities planned out.
Many ladies have a plan if the date goes sour.
You're describing a date. Well done.
You're still NOT describing what the OP is asking about: The Meet.
The meet where you decide if you'll want to shave your legs.

hth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships