Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times

Advertisements

I am in a happy relationship now, and have been for the last five years. So, I am going to answer this as if I were single. If I was single there are a few girls in the past that I ended things badly with because of ego/many other things. When I look back, I can't help but wonder if I had met those women at different times of my life if things would have worked out. One girl in particular (possibly the one that got away..In my case-the one I drove away) I often wonder if I weren't so immature at the time, maybe, possibly, could we have lasted. I can't help but have a nagging suspicion that we would have lasted. Sometimes in life we are too immature for certain people in a relationship at that time. The reason I say this is that I handle myself much differently today (especially in my current relationship) than I would have ten or twenty years ago..I guess that's hindsight, maturity as well as a process of elimination. That's eliminating the things that you once did, but realized were very unhealthy in order to maintain a "healthy relationship.

I got a little off topic, as to the op'-yes. There are many ways I could have handled dumping someone in my past. The younger I was, the more apt to being cruel and having a quick tongue..The older I got, the more I learned to be more mature about it. To understand that it might feel good for a minute to give someone a tongue lashing, but someday I will regret that quick decision.

I do think things happen for a reason. After all, it took many many bad relationships to realize how to behave accordingly in a "healthy relationship"..Thank god most of us get wiser as we age..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 12:28 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
I have no regrets breaking it off with any of the guys I was with and I always tried to be diplomatic about it.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times
No regrets here, I'm friends on facebook with some past flames and I see that they are happier and so am I. I wish them well!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 PM

143 posts, read 192,881 times
Most of my exes I don't regret having left...there was a reason I left them, and I the only real regret I have looking back is that I stayed as long as I did.

But there was one man, who I had a crush on for years. Very, very long convoluted story, and I won't even begin to get into it all. But after a few years he somehow came around and confessed to having developed feelings for me, even going as far as saying he thought he was falling in love with me. It was like living a fantasy - everything I could have ever dreamed he would say to me, he said. He was crazy about me. We had this whirlwind, passionate affair for a few months and then, I started losing interest in him. I don't know what was wrong with me. I'd been pining for him for years. All I thought about for years was him.

I guess it was a case of "you get what you want, and then you don't want it anymore."

He was such a sensitive man, and it took a lot for him to open up to me and bare his soul. I was the first woman he ever got close to, the first woman to give him an orgasm. I let him feel safe and secure with me. And then I just got bored with him, and pulled away. He came out to see me one night when he knew I was hanging out at a certain bar, but there was another guy there I was trying to hook up with. I actually ended up leaving with the other guy, leaving the first guy just sitting there by himself.

There is more to the story, and I was much younger, but I don't want to hide behind that excuse. Part of me has always missed him, part of me will always think he is beautiful and special. I recently found out that he was engaged and the engagement was broken (I'm not sure by who, or if it was mutual). I think if I were single I would probably try to get back in touch with him. I would not choose him over my husband, though.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:17 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I do not regret breaking up with anyone, nor the way in which it was done. I do think back and every once in a while think that I made a bad decision. Then I think of my here and now and relize that everything must happen for a reason.

I am happy in the relationship I am in right now, and if not for all of the other things happening how they did, this would not have come about, I do not think.....

Old 11-17-2011, 02:19 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,420,847 times
Broke up with a girl +30 years ago and she wrote me the letter of all letters telling me what a jerk I was. I have the letter to this day in the bottom of my underwear drawer and when ever I start feeling to good about myself I pull it out. Can't get through the first page. Brings me back to earth.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:20 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,462 times
Yeah, well she wasn't a girlfriend but not far from either, I broke it off on facebook as she was kinda far away at the time, but I should have waited and done it face to face anyway.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:00 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
I kind of wish I had had a better break-up with my ex. I sometimes miss her, but mostly (90%) the physical aspect.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM

56 posts, read 79,753 times
No regrets. Actually, i'm really happy i got rid of them

Old 11-17-2011, 05:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I've never dumped anyone. However, there have been a couple of girls who found me attractive but I didn't want to date them. I don't regret this at all, because they weren't attractive to me so dating would have been pretty pointless. Also, if I could go back in time I'd dump my first girlfriend pretty early on. Oh well, live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships