Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:26 PM

672 posts, read 2,125,374 times

Advertisements

This may have been discussed on here before, but I went back thru all the pages and didnt see it, so here goes: When someone (anyone) calls me on the phone, engages me in conversation- then starts putting me on hold to answer incoming call waiting calls that are beeping in- most of the time, I will just hang up the first time the person does that. My reasoning is that my time is as important as the time of the person who is beeping in. This has become somewhat of a conflict between my fiancee and I, because she is one of those who just cannot resist blabbing a minute or two with whoever it is, and I have hung up on her a few times over this. Now, I dont actually get mad over it, I just feel that it is incredibly rude and unnecessary to put whoever youre speaking with on hold over a non-emergency call. I mean, back in the day, whover got a busy signal, and knew they would need to try back later. She thinks call waiting is useful, and wonderful technology, and she doesnt see it as being rude to the person shes speaking with. I see it as something I will never embrace- Ive never put anyone on hold because of someone else trying to reach me. If the person beeping in shows up on caller ID,and I really need to speak to that person, and it HAS to be right then, and right there, I would at least have the decency to end my call with whoever, and not leave them just hanging there until I decide to return to the call. Anyone else have thoughts or experiences about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 04:32 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
I agree with you. It's rude, unless it's a very important call that cannot wait. I feel the same way about a conversation face-to-face. When I'm engaged in a conversation, that person has my complete attention and I don't interrupt other's conversations unless it's very important. I feel that I'm the exception rather than the rule though.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:39 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
It is rude. i call patients from work, important stuff now...I am calling a drs office.....hold on and they put me on hold....!

Crazy stuff! After one courtesy minute, I hang up. If that long. My time is important, and i can't hold like that....now, when on w ins, another story.

Now, if someone beeps through, and it is someone i have been expecting, I will let the person I am speaking with know that I was expecting a call, and I will call them back, or would you mind if I grab that, and let them know I will call them right back.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
What did we do before technology? We got a busy signal...and life didn't end because of it.

Unless I am expecting an important call, I try not to put anyone on hold because of call waiting. Of course, with kids and elderly relatives, you never know, so I probably inflict it more than necessary on the other party - but you're right - it takes 10 seconds to say "is it important? No? Sorry, on the other line, I'll call you back". My kids fall apart if I don't answer the house phone or the cell phone - oh, give me a break, I'm at Wal Mart! It's bad when you have to go to Wal Mart to get peace and quiet!

I think it's probably more prevalent in the next generation down...those of us that grew up with an eternal busy signal on Sunday afternoon because our friend's parents took the phone off the hook while they napped - well, we understand people don't answer the phone all the time. Sometimes I choose not to answer the phone - I have something else going on - and people act like you spit in their eye. I figure it's my phone and I'll answer if I can...or if I feel like it. That's why God made voice mail.....

Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
I don't mind a quick call waiting interruption. In fact, I'd welcome ten of those if the person who calls me would STOP talking to the people in the room with them. The caller called ME and keeps engaging in conversations with people in the room with them when there is no emergency situation requiring the callers attention. That's what makes me angry.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:08 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
This may have been discussed on here before, but I went back thru all the pages and didnt see it, so here goes: When someone (anyone) calls me on the phone, engages me in conversation- then starts putting me on hold to answer incoming call waiting calls that are beeping in- most of the time, I will just hang up the first time the person does that. My reasoning is that my time is as important as the time of the person who is beeping in. This has become somewhat of a conflict between my fiancee and I, because she is one of those who just cannot resist blabbing a minute or two with whoever it is, and I have hung up on her a few times over this. Now, I dont actually get mad over it, I just feel that it is incredibly rude and unnecessary to put whoever youre speaking with on hold over a non-emergency call. I mean, back in the day, whover got a busy signal, and knew they would need to try back later. She thinks call waiting is useful, and wonderful technology, and she doesnt see it as being rude to the person shes speaking with. I see it as something I will never embrace- Ive never put anyone on hold because of someone else trying to reach me. If the person beeping in shows up on caller ID,and I really need to speak to that person, and it HAS to be right then, and right there, I would at least have the decency to end my call with whoever, and not leave them just hanging there until I decide to return to the call. Anyone else have thoughts or experiences about this?
Hmmm - I think it's rude if someone doesn't click back right away. I will click over - say "sorry I'm on the other line... can I call you back?" Then go back to my original phone call. Though, I have friends who just yack forever on the other line while I sit there waiting. I used to wait but now I'll give them 30 seconds and hang up - they usually call me back.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
I hang up on them and I really don't like talking on the phone at all.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:31 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
It is rude. That's why I have voicemail.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:37 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,426 times
It's rude if it happens all the time. I have a friend who will let her kids interupt our conversations all the time. Instead of hanging up with me and dealing with what they need she will talk back and forth to me and then the kids and so on....every 2 minutes I hear "Hold on a sec..."No Jamie you can't go ...it's dinner time"..."what did I say young lady?" "ok Shannon sorry.....hold on a second "Don't eat that we are having dinner soon" "Ok Shannon sorry" and so on and so on......I usually end up forgetting why I called her in the first place!! lol

Old 08-28-2007, 07:01 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,593 times
It's rude - period. The only time I have ever used call waiting is when my teenagers were new drivers and they'd call.... a worried mother of a 16 year old has to take that call! If there's some kind of emergency or a call you're expecting when a person is ill, etc., that is one thing.... otherwise, it should never happen. Immature and rude IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships