Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,768,208 times

Advertisements

Do you think that if certain concrete economic and financial incentives were theoretically in place today that would allow ppl to get married at younger ages (say, 18-20), that any young ppl would actually *want* or desire to get married younger? The reality today is that even if say an 18-year old couple hypothetically wanted to get married, the sheer financial requirements of such a life-changing transaction would simply not be favorable to the couple, and they would be highly likely to be unable to make ends meet economically.

For example: if getting married at 18 or so was as easy financially as it was say 60-80+ years ago, would ppl conceivably be open to the idea of younger marriages again?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,194,453 times
I would hope not!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,937,966 times
I would think so and I don't think it is a bad idea . . .

Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,234,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Do you think that if certain concrete economic and financial incentives were theoretically in place today that would allow ppl to get married at younger ages (say, 18-20), that any young ppl would actually *want* or desire to get married younger? The reality today is that even if say an 18-year old couple hypothetically wanted to get married, the sheer financial requirements of such a life-changing transaction would simply not be favorable to the couple, and they would be highly likely to be unable to make ends meet economically.

?
What do you mean by "sheer financial requirements"? A marriage license and blood test is all that's needed. Or are you talking about a bridezilla extravaganza that puts people in debt?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:20 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:

For example: if getting married at 18 or so was as easy financially as it was say 60-80+ years ago, would ppl conceivably be open to the idea of younger marriages again?
There ain't no amount of money that would push me into a marriage at age 23. That would actually be a terrible idea. I personally think people should wait until their 30s to marry.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,768,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
What do you mean by "sheer financial requirements"? A marriage license and blood test is all that's needed. Or are you talking about a bridezilla extravaganza that puts people in debt?
Additional marriage-related tax incentives and tax deductions perhaps? Also even maybe a federal / state-based marriage subsidy?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,937,966 times
A female's peak fertility is from some point in teen years, through twenties (don't know exact data, but it would be easy to find out).

People in Western society are mostly serial monogamously oriented, so starting early might just result in more relationships over time, or it could improve marriage viability through bonding at a young age and growing together . . .

I don't think there is a thing wrong with it.

On the other hand, we have infanticized adults so that now it is considered acceptable to live at home until practically your thirties "because of the economy," and childbirth is being delayed until late thirties, forties and even fifties, with disastrous effects to fertility - plus new studies have recently come out indicating females who go through fertility treatment (which is what many older females HAVE TO DO TO GET PREGNANT), result in higher rates of ovarian and other cancers . . .it is not natural to delay child-bearing years and achieve child bearing through artificial means.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,491,148 times
Quote:

Why the hell would you want to get married this young? What year is this? 1620? While you're at it,why not pop out a baby at 16. Most people are not ready for this at such a young age. I thought conservatives wanted to stay out of people's lives and don't influence their decisions...

Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 PM

944 posts, read 2,042,723 times
Quote:
Do you think that if certain concrete economic and financial incentives were theoretically in place today that would allow ppl to get married at younger ages (say, 18-20), that any young ppl would actually *want* or desire to get married younger?
Sure there would. You're using the word any, and in a big enough group there's going to be some people that want to do something even if there's a disincentive to do it.

Quote:
The reality today is that even if say an 18-year old couple hypothetically wanted to get married, the sheer financial requirements of such a life-changing transaction would simply not be favorable to the couple, and they would be highly likely to be unable to make ends meet economically.
Uh...if go to the JP and just get it done it's not expensive. I don't know what "sheer financial requirements" you're talking about. In fact, the less money you make the more beneficial it is to have two earners splitting the bills. I've split rent/bills before, it's noticeably cheaper to do this than to live on your own.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,194,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
There ain't no amount of money that would push me into a marriage at age 23. That would actually be a terrible idea. I personally think people should wait until their 30s to marry.
I don't know about their 30's but I would say definitely mid to late 20's. I married just before my 29th birthday and most of my friends got married in their early 30's - just a few years ago. I didn't even know who I really was yet when I was in my late teens/early 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.