Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,327,022 times

Advertisements

I admit to being in one of those.

MrsCPG has 25 boxes of Christmas decorations. And, every year, she brings home new stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm the one who grumbles when I retrieve them from the party barn, stand up on ladders with my trusty stapler gun, and generally risk my neck to put out decorations. And there's not a horizontal surface in our house that doesn't have some colorful decoration on it.

MrsCPG begins playing Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving. I get in the mood sometime around the 22nd.

MrsCPG has her list made out weeks, nay months, ahead of time. I'm the guy who is wandering through purgatory, otherwise known as the shopping mall, on the 24th with a bewildered expression.

MrsCPG is already making preparations for a cast of hundreds on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the days following behind. I'm looking forward to a family dinner Christmas Eve, followed by a nice long vacation through the new year.

MrsCPG comes from a family whose style of holiday decorating got them thank-you notes from the electric company. I come from a family whose idea of decorating was a tree, a wreath on the door, and a red ribbon on the mailbox.

MrsCPG decorates so much, that we still have ornaments up until mid February. Personally, I'd be happy to have it all packed away by New Years Eve.

In a rare dustup, MrsCPG mentioned how it bothers her that I'm not in the Christmas spirit the way she is. To that, my reply is that I just don't believe in over-the-top holiday celebrating. I'm not a Scrooge. I'm not a Grinch. I just like celebrating Christmas for a handful of days, not an entire month.

So which is it? A festive few days in late December or a holiday tailor-made for those with OCD and lots of time on their hands? And how do those of you who live in similar mixed marriages reconcile your views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 12:18 PM

429 posts, read 1,151,184 times
I think you're the perfect holiday couple ---one spouse gets the job done, and the other keeps it from getting out of hand. Lucky you!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,097,887 times
I like stringing up lights for Christmas. Otherwise, all the other decorations (including decorating the tree) just seem like tedious work. Why are the lights different? I have no explanation except for the fact that I love the movie Christmas Vacation!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:24 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,817,715 times
MrsCPG has a wonderful husband.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:56 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,053,870 times
I like simplicity. A small tree with a few ornaments and that's about it. The person I am dating has the same take on the holidays as I do, so we're a good match.

I have a friend with a wife like yours. I thought he might lose it when she wanted to go all out for Halloween too.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,984,022 times
MrCPG sounds like one lucky man to have a wife who creates such a festive happy home for him and his children

Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,026,287 times
Is it so hard to try a little harder?

Old 12-21-2011, 12:05 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,798,452 times
Am I Mrs. CPG?

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way...

Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 AM

37,808 posts, read 46,327,156 times
Default Sorry, but the Mrs. sounds like me.

I love Christmas! I take a trip to NYC every year (was there 2 weeks ago) just to see all the lights and decorations. I have so much stuff in the attic, I never can seem to get it all put out! I suggest you continue as you have...it sounds perfectly normal to me!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:49 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,327,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
MrCPG sounds like one lucky man to have a wife who creates such a festive happy home for him and his children
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Blame me. I like Christmas. I just don't like the over-the-top nature of it.

To me, it's the ultimate holiday for those afflicted with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. As in, "Let's gin up even more busywork!"

I mean, when two busy professionals with three kids are up at 1 a.m. on a weeknight stuffing Christmas cards into envelopes because the missus is getting stressed that they might not get out on time, that should tell you everything you need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships