Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

I really hope I don't end up with a woman who is moody, grumpy or otherwise angry. My sister is like this and I can't stand confrontation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:23 AM

11,796 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You and I are the same, though if I am given a little time, I can just get over it and move on without the blow-up, etc. I just don't care for the negative energy.

I would be resentful, too, if I were you. Being in a bad mood is no justification for taking the entire family hostage with it. It's completely inconsiderate to continually mope around for days on end. Or, if you are sad or stressed, at least don't make it worse by taking it out on the wrong people. Cuz then you'll feel crappier later when the guilt hits you. Not to mention, I don't feel sorry for your damn bad mood when you are bludgeoning me over the head with it. It makes me a lot LESS sympathetic and inclined to help. And yes...you CAN help it.

You need to talk to him about this. Because you really will grow to resent this more and more until something bad happens.

Something to consider if this is new...is he depressed?

In my opinion, a bad mood should last just as long as it takes to count your blessings. Anything after that is drama and immaturity.
Couldn't rep you so I quoted you.

That's how I would feel...wouldn't tolerate a bad mood for more than a day, although I don't know what I'd actually "do". Usually a good night's sleep helps improve someone's mood.

The fact that her husband can continue for days and weeks indicates a bigger problem than just a bad mood, IMO, and yes it is overly dramatic and not necessary. I'm not sure how to live with a person like that.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM

25 posts, read 40,990 times
In my experience...most men want/need lots of attention...and to feel that they are your priority. This moodiness thing usually occurs when needs aren't met. I usually let the mood level out a bit...then I feel things out. Observe the mojo in the room. I'll go into his domain and attempt to engage in conversation...benign of course and offer up some food he loves in a casual easy-going way. Then...when that starts to mellow him out and soften his mood..i simply sit on his lap...and......for some reason, he's all good and things are fine.

First and foremost is...you must want him to be happy and content. If it's a power struggle...you're screwed. But if it's happiness as a couple...find out what he needs and deliver it. Old School...possibly...but it works...for both parties.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia13 View Post
In my experience...most men want/need lots of attention...and to feel that they are your priority. This moodiness thing usually occurs when needs aren't met. I usually let the mood level out a bit...then I feel things out. Observe the mojo in the room. I'll go into his domain and attempt to engage in conversation...benign of course and offer up some food he loves in a casual easy-going way. Then...when that starts to mellow him out and soften his mood..i simply sit on his lap...and......for some reason, he's all good and things are fine.

First and foremost is...you must want him to be happy and content. If it's a power struggle...you're screwed. But if it's happiness as a couple...find out what he needs and deliver it. Old School...possibly...but it works...for both parties.
This was an awesome post. LOL

Old 01-18-2012, 06:28 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
<Turns to wife> "There's a topic on CD about dealing with spouse /SO mood swings. Care to comment?"

Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia13 View Post
In my experience...most men want/need lots of attention...and to feel that they are your priority..
Men, schmen. Women are like this, too. I know I am. I don't think it's unreasonable to feel like any spouse should feel prioritized.

I mean, really...life is short. What is the most important thing? Work? Hobbies? A tv show? Friends? Or your family?

Old 01-19-2012, 01:19 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Addicted,

This is my philosophy on how I function in relationships. I say "yes" whenever I can but not without limitations. It is this combination that defines who I am.

Sometimes it is these limitations that upset people. I don't allow their disappointment to have a big impact on my behavior because I am who I am, not who I should be. There are effective ways in dealing with moody behavior. For me, it was a skill I had to learn.

So if it is in my nature to include people in my activities, I would do the same for my moody loved one. I would ask like I normally do, with a big smile and like I wanted him to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
When starting a relationship I get the woman mad about something as soon as possible so I can see the real her..If I don't like what I see it's over real quick.. I've seen nagging and evil women and it's not pretty or fun..
Interesting. I don't get mad easily but if you pushed me to the point of getting mad because you ignored my early cues, I would know that you were testing me.

Last edited by crisan; 01-19-2012 at 01:33 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
How do you handle your spouse's or SO's bad moods?

I call up Mr. Samuel Adams and Mr. Johnny Walker and the three of us sit around the fire and commiserate over the joys of marriage.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Everybody has bad moods. I'm okay with that. I'm not okay with people behaving abusively, though, be it emotionally, verbally, physically, whatever. You can have a bad day. But you need to recognize it and not take it out on me.

I also realize that people are human, and bad days DO get taken out on our loved ones from time to time. So, when that happens, I will bring it to your attention, and expect you to change how you are acting toward me accordingly once I've pointed it out. I would expect you would do the same to me on the occasions when I screw up and take a bad day out on you unfairly.

This pretty much sums up my understanding with my SO. He is of the blow his stack and get over it variety, whereas I am of the slow, simmering, sniping little by little variety. I feel that if you commit to somebody, you commit to working out how you communicate. Everyone's got a slightly different style, and it's good to be understanding of that, but it's also important to draw lines on what's unacceptable behavior. It doesn't matter if somebody's in a bad mood...if that person is in a mutually respectful relationship, that needs to be kept in mind. You can't hold people hostage over your bad moods.

Quote:
I do have a tendency to get bogged down by my responsibilities and have a hard time relaxing and enjoying the process. I am results oriented, so until my list of things for the day is marked off, I have trouble just BEING. I try to work on this attitude, but apparently haven't mastered it yet.
This is my boyfriend. I imagine it will be an ongoing struggle for him to remember that it's just as important to focus on the process and living life in the spaces that stretch out in between meeting your personal goals and benchmarks. It can't always be about eye on the next prize, and saying, "I'll be happy when I've met blahblahblah goal," because what happens then is you meet that goal, and instead of being happy, you just set a new one further out. Appreciating what you have as much as what you are working toward is something a lot of people have trouble with.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
How do you handle your spouse's or SO's bad moods?

I call up Mr. Samuel Adams and Mr. Johnny Walker and the three of us sit around the fire and commiserate over the joys of marriage.

A solid solution to all of life's problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships