Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 AM

6 posts, read 89,591 times

Advertisements

tell me who you are.. (gf/bf/wife/husband)

how much do you spend on gifts for 1 year on your partner ?

how much do they spend on gifts for you?

whats the most expensive gift you gave your partner and whats the most expensive gift your partner gave you?

i know the thought counts and all that.please think of this as a survey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 05:16 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
It depends. Varies hugely. I buy Hubby gifts not just for special occasions like Birthdays or Anniversaries but also simply because I saw something he might like. The cheapest would be something like a chocolate truffle from a good chocolate shop or a second hand book he might enjoy as I see it "just because", the most expensive is probably a holiday. Cheapest would be a couple of dollars , most expensive a thousand or so.

We decided long ago that as we have most things we need we prefer to buy each other "occasions" rather than "stuff" on the whole and though we still buy each other small gifts like non extravagant jewellery for me or a stunt kite for him we prefer to "do" something.

So for the last few years I have combined his Birthday, Wedding Anniversary,Anniversary of the day we met and Christmas presents and bought him a week in Dubrovnik which we are taking in May ( the last few years have been Istanbul, Marrakech, Budapest and Paris for example) . These are not our main vacations and thus are genuine gifts.

We also buy each other Opera/Theatre and Concert tickets for example.

It means we still buy each other little gifts but much smaller ones in value. I would much rather go to Croatia than receive an expensive piece of Jewellery for example....

Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
We aren't extravagant so we don't spend a ton of money on eachother.

It's hard to even ballpark a number because it varies a lot from year to year. The most expensive gift he's given me was my engagement ring but since then most things have been fairly inexpensive (under $100).

Couldn't tell you what the most expensive gift I've given him was, but it was probably one of the many power tools he has in the garage (typically $300 a piece).

We don't really keep tabs on the monetary value of the gifts we give eachother. It's more the thought than anything.

Oh, and we've been together for 20yrs (married 15 of them)

Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 AM

39 posts, read 109,279 times
We (hubby and I) don't spend a lot on gifts. Usually we spend between $20 to $50 for birthday, Christmas and anniversary gifts, so I spend roughly $150 on him per year. The expensive stuff is generally not done as gifts because the person that wants the expensive item should be involved in picking it out.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
My SO spends way more money on gifts than I do (in the hundreds at least).

I like to give homemade gifts so that's the cost of the supplies, which varies. I do spend a lot of time and effort on the gifts, which can take weeks-months to make.

He's happy and I'm happy

Old 01-19-2012, 09:23 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Depends on the occasion and how much money we have in the bank. The most we've spent on each other is probably somewhere between 1,000-2,000. But then there have been some times when money has been tight - so for Valentine's Day we won't get each other anything - we'll just go out to a nice dinner or something. He usually spends more than me because I have a hard time spending large amounts of money. When we bought our dining room table and chairs - I almost hyperventilated! But this year I surprised him for Christmas and spent way more on him than he spent on me!

Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
Both my gf and I are pretty thoughtfull when it comes to gifts. This year for christmas, I bought her lots of clothes, shoes (she loves shoes), perfume, and an automatic car starter. That was her favorite. Now she doesn't ever have to get in a cold car or an overly hot car. Plus, I paid to have her laptop cleaned. She bought me a bunch of clothes, shoes (sneakers really, I like to have a variety of shoes/ sneakers), and two tickets to see my favorite college basketball team. Trust me their not cheap. She's so awesome. That was truly my best gift in years. This time I won't be needing bincoluars. She knows how much I love my sports. She usually leaves the house when any of my teams play. I can't be bothered when I'm watching my games. I am the type of sports fan who don't even like friends with me to watch some of my favorite teams..I yell and scream at the t.v. and sometimes lose my mind..I need help in this area of my life.

Off topic: I once broke a window in my house because one of my teams lost a game. I didn't mean to. I shot a plastic cup into my kitchen sink very hard and it jumped up and cracked the window over the sink. To this day she thinks somebody from outside the house shot a rock at it. It didn't bust through it just cracked. I will go to my grave with that one.. I am not like that with all of my teams. I watch three sports. Basketball, football, and baseball. I can watch football and baseball without losing my mind. But watching my favorite college basketball team sends me over the edge..

Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
My husband and I don't exchange gifts. We go out for a Birthday dinner once in awhile. Other than that we buy things as we need them. We are lucky that we don't have many wants

The most expensive item my husband has bought for me is my diamond ring. It took me years to find the perfect ring because I am very picky and I don't like jewelry. Even at that it was less than $2000.00 and I tried to put it back after I saw the price tag. Hubby said no way....it took too long to find one ring that you like

Our gifts to each other cannot be rated by things you can buy. We spend every day together and do many things together. We prefer a sharing partnership over gifts.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:34 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
tell me who you are.. (gf/bf/wife/husband) girlfriend

how much do you spend on gifts for 1 year on your partner ? It depends

how much do they spend on gifts for you? It depends

whats the most expensive gift you gave your partner and whats the most expensive gift your partner gave you? a Kenneth Cole coat and he gave me 2 custom made bracelets from Pandora

This question varies greatly because it depends on the occasion. My boyfriends will usually just buy me some flowers for Valentine's day. For my birthday, he goes all out, spa package at a resort,a few nice gifts, etc. For his birthday, I would get him a trip somewhere like Myrtle beach or some sports tickets to UNC or Duke football/basketball games. So I would give a ball park figure of $3,000-$4,500. He deploys a lot so we try to make it as special as possible.

Now we were dating 5 years ago, broke up and married other people. At that time we really didn't spend to much because we were just getting to know each other but now we are back together, he tends to go overboard.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 89,591 times
thanks for the great answers so far! very interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships