Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:22 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times

Advertisements

I haad a reading that I felt was fake and one with a women a friend went to as well. I left feeling pretty skepitcal and disappointed but a lot of what she said happened for both my friend and I, and not all of it were things either of us could control, like her "oh, btw" parting comment to my friend she'd be getting a raise, which happened 3 months later.

The person she predicted would come into my life did exactly like she said he would. She just failed to mention the part where the "love of my life" would only see me as a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:33 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
nothing i did not already know.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:30 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,166,444 times
I don't believe in this shyte.....

Friend went to a tarot reading.. They told her she'd never get married, nor have kids...

She got married and had 6 kids... I think she should of asked for a refund.....

Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I sometimes think about this, because I know ALOT of women are into this type of nonsense (just my opinion) and i have this gut feeling that some make major life and relationship decisions based on card readings, horoscopes or what have you. I havent done any research on this, but if I were betting man, Id bet that many of these types of fortune telling stories are so suggestive in nature that a person who takes them seriously may take actions to allign with whatever future was fortold. So as an example, if a woman has a card reading that tells her that her current relationship is only going to work out for a short while and then fall apart, and she truly believes this made up nonsense, she may very well sabotage the relationship and sub-sunsciously carry out actions that would lead to quick demise of said relationship. It is really not that much different than most succesful olympic gold medalists, visualizing and imagining themselves winning the gold, before the event even begins, to actualy be able to win at all. Human mind is very powerful and at times i get the feeling that many who dabble with tarrot cards, horoscopes, "magic" or mysticism - have no clue at all how they're impacting their lives. I have performed out of body experiences in my younger years, and was deeply involved in practicing them, but as soon as i understood the true dark nature of what i was doing, i got rid of all my materials and books and never looked back. It has ompacted me for life, but i steepped away just in time.
I see some of why you have the opinion your do. And the bit about self-fulfilling the future is quite valid. Weak people make those kinds of moves. Yes, the mind is powerful in that way, weak or strong.
I'd like to hear more of why you have this opinion, because as you say, you have not done any research.

Many genuine and skilled readers DO NOT predict a definable future.
Those readers who do venture into the 'future' are not doing so with a 'fortune teller' approch.
Readers will say to the client, 'this is just one of many possible futures.' The future (or 'outcome' as we call it, I personally call it 'potential direction') is what is -most likely- to happen if the client keeps doing what they are doing. Be it good or bad. In your story maybe the reader was right, and the clients belief in it perpetuated the end of the relationship sooner, which is actually better in the long run. The reading proved to be a benefit, saving the client from many days of emotional drama. If the client did not want the relationship to end, then they would take the extra steps needed to avoid that.

Readers all over will often use the same 'punch line' - "your future is not set in stone"
The advice and information presented by the cards is often things people already know, but are ignoring it. It can be info and a perspective from a totally different direction than what the client is seeing. This gives the client something new about their situation to think about. What they do is up to them.

It's unfortunate for the true tarot translators to have tarot fortune tellers running around. It is these people who continue to leave others with the impression that tarot is 'nonsense'.
I am a 'betting man' and I would wager that just about every person here has, at least once, listened to a song and found some enlightenment, guidance, inspiration, validation....
In it's genuine form, this is exactly what Tarot does.
Tarot does not tell fortunes....tarot is a best friend's feedback, a counselor that does not cost $75 an hour.

Now let me confuse you a little bit...in the right hands, tarot can predict the future, but its not really the cards, it's the reader.
Some parts of our futures are things we have NO control over. How a relationship works out, we sort of do, but the out come of a murder...not at all.
A man came up missing in Sept of 1998. The client knew that he had to be dead.
12 cards where used for the reading with the final 3 being 'the future'. The future said that it would be a long time before anything would happen, that among those involved there would be arguments, that the 'over-lord' would suffer. The actual reading was more in depth, but this was what it boiled down to.
5 and a half years later, the killer and his GF had an argument, he beat her and put her in the hospital. She had been the one that stole the money, it was the dead man who got punished for it. She squeals and tells law enforcement everything. And the 'over-lord' that would be the killers father, who was also involved, his medication reacted with his drinking and his insides exploded, he died from it.

Not trying to prove anything to those who doubt, just sharing a moment of 'fortune telling' as food for thought.
But if you want to research, I can provide lots of material.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I see some of why you have the opinion your do. And the bit about self-fulfilling the future is quite valid. Weak people make those kinds of moves. Yes, the mind is powerful in that way, weak or strong.
I'd like to hear more of why you have this opinion, because as you say, you have not done any research.

Many genuine and skilled readers DO NOT predict a definable future.
Those readers who do venture into the 'future' are not doing so with a 'fortune teller' approch.
Readers will say to the client, 'this is just one of many possible futures.' The future (or 'outcome' as we call it, I personally call it 'potential direction') is what is -most likely- to happen if the client keeps doing what they are doing. Be it good or bad. In your story maybe the reader was right, and the clients belief in it perpetuated the end of the relationship sooner, which is actually better in the long run. The reading proved to be a benefit, saving the client from many days of emotional drama. If the client did not want the relationship to end, then they would take the extra steps needed to avoid that.

Readers all over will often use the same 'punch line' - "your future is not set in stone"
The advice and information presented by the cards is often things people already know, but are ignoring it. It can be info and a perspective from a totally different direction than what the client is seeing. This gives the client something new about their situation to think about. What they do is up to them.

It's unfortunate for the true tarot translators to have tarot fortune tellers running around. It is these people who continue to leave others with the impression that tarot is 'nonsense'.
I am a 'betting man' and I would wager that just about every person here has, at least once, listened to a song and found some enlightenment, guidance, inspiration, validation....
In it's genuine form, this is exactly what Tarot does.
Tarot does not tell fortunes....tarot is a best friend's feedback, a counselor that does not cost $75 an hour.

Now let me confuse you a little bit...in the right hands, tarot can predict the future, but its not really the cards, it's the reader.
Some parts of our futures are things we have NO control over. How a relationship works out, we sort of do, but the out come of a murder...not at all.
A man came up missing in Sept of 1998. The client knew that he had to be dead.
12 cards where used for the reading with the final 3 being 'the future'. The future said that it would be a long time before anything would happen, that among those involved there would be arguments, that the 'over-lord' would suffer. The actual reading was more in depth, but this was what it boiled down to.
5 and a half years later, the killer and his GF had an argument, he beat her and put her in the hospital. She had been the one that stole the money, it was the dead man who got punished for it. She squeals and tells law enforcement everything. And the 'over-lord' that would be the killers father, who was also involved, his medication reacted with his drinking and his insides exploded, he died from it.

Not trying to prove anything to those who doubt, just sharing a moment of 'fortune telling' as food for thought.
But if you want to research, I can provide lots of material.
I havent done any research per se, but have dedicated alot of thought to this subject because quite a few women I have dated, seemed somehwat involved and believed in horoscopes, tarot cards. Like I said, some even based major decisions in their life on it (although none would admit to it), which i personaly found to be quite disturbing. You expand on the example i provided, of someone ending a relationship sooner due to subconscious action based on a reading, and you say perhaps its good because they are saving time this way. I fiond that to be false, since no one will ever know or prove otherwise that if not for the subconscious sabotage of the relationship, if it would stand a test of time or not. As far as Tarot cards themselves versus the reader or medium, my assumption would be that the reader has alot more to do with it than the cards themselves, would never think otherwise. I dont really know enough about Tarot cards themselves, to really be able discuss them in detail or to even hold a strong opinion on the subject, but i have a gut feeling that majority of tarot card readers are complete phonies, and when you hear a part of the reading wher ethe reader says things like "you will meet someone important in your life" or "you will have problems in your future relationship" than its hard to take any of it seriously - as those statements could be substituted by "you will need oxygen to breathe" or anything else thats granted in life.

But, im willing to give it a benefit of the doubt, and perhaps give consideration to a thought that indeed there may be real tarot card readers who provide real results and real insight. If you have time, point me in the direction of some good material or a reader themselves, because im a little interested in the subject. If i were to guess, id say that the real readers stand for extreme minority of all. Same goes for magic, which i believe is absoilutely true, but all of it comes from dark source, and there is an extremely small amount of people who practice real magic, and even a smaller anumber of people who understand that David Blaine or Kiris Angel are simply illusionists and not magicians in the least. Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:23 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
I with you when it comes to information that is presented too generally. Those are the types of readers, and opinion of readers I have a problem with.
And true, we will never know the 'natural' out come of the given scenario. But I think that everyone really deep down knows, instinctually, if something is lasting or temporary. Could be one feels it's lasting and 'fights' for the cause, making the relationship better, or they realize 'geeze, how boring this has become' and cuts it off.
Rather than telling a future, it's a tool for reflection. Those who do not reflect and go blindly on the information given....are fools.

Here is a website that I would say is the original tarot forum on the web.
Unfortunately you need a subscription to view the reading exchange area where people swap readings for practice. One can see all the different styles of presentation as well as the feedback showing how accurate or inaccurate or general they can be.
However, there are other areas where you can still get a real feel for things.

Aeclectic Tarot Forum
If you have the $ to spare, it is worth it for an investigation into understanding the cards and the people who read them.

I read cards, I am generally a skeptic from a scientific stand point. Dad was a scientist.
I often have readings that I do for complete strangers, with only a question, through the Internet (no face to face to read body language as it is said that's what readers do) that are so specific and accurate, it spooks even me...

Old 08-02-2012, 01:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I haad a reading that I felt was fake and one with a women a friend went to as well. I left feeling pretty skepitcal and disappointed but a lot of what she said happened for both my friend and I, and not all of it were things either of us could control, like her "oh, btw" parting comment to my friend she'd be getting a raise, which happened 3 months later.

The person she predicted would come into my life did exactly like she said he would. She just failed to mention the part where the "love of my life" would only see me as a friend.
Sometimes, you never really know about readings until months later, or years later. True psychics only use the cards as a stimulus for their intuitive gift. They could use anything; a crystal ball, a jar of water, an astrological chart, rune stones. Some people don't need the crutch, they can just look at you and pick up info from your energy field, and intuit future events.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:19 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I with you when it comes to information that is presented too generally. Those are the types of readers, and opinion of readers I have a problem with.
And true, we will never know the 'natural' out come of the given scenario. But I think that everyone really deep down knows, instinctually, if something is lasting or temporary. Could be one feels it's lasting and 'fights' for the cause, making the relationship better, or they realize 'geeze, how boring this has become' and cuts it off.
Rather than telling a future, it's a tool for reflection. Those who do not reflect and go blindly on the information given....are fools.

Here is a website that I would say is the original tarot forum on the web.
Unfortunately you need a subscription to view the reading exchange area where people swap readings for practice. One can see all the different styles of presentation as well as the feedback showing how accurate or inaccurate or general they can be.
However, there are other areas where you can still get a real feel for things.

Aeclectic Tarot Forum
If you have the $ to spare, it is worth it for an investigation into understanding the cards and the people who read them.

I read cards, I am generally a skeptic from a scientific stand point. Dad was a scientist.
I often have readings that I do for complete strangers, with only a question, through the Internet (no face to face to read body language as it is said that's what readers do) that are so specific and accurate, it spooks even me...
Thanks, i have bookmarked the site and will give it a read, once i have a little time. I am normaly a skeoptic as well, but i have experinced things in the realm of supernatural before that changed my stance, so i try to stay open minded. I doubt i will be shelling out any money for a subscription, but will try to get the feel for the forums and the content. If I were convinced of a true tarot reading with some validity to it, i think it would be well worth a price of admission - i just simly deont believe that calling a 1-900 will ever get you that. Thanks for the info, i may bounce some thoughts off of you, once i do a lil reading and familiarizing myself with the subject.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:41 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
True psychics

I am hoping that people who think that there is such a thing as a true psychic don't vote.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:23 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am hoping that people who think that there is such a thing as a true psychic don't vote.
I've done a lot of investigating, testing, research, and experimenting myself. You have no idea. We all have psi abilities, but in most Western cultures they've been repressed (Inquisitions, witch burnings, etc.) It's like having perfect pitch, which seems magical to people who are tone deaf. It's a gift. People have different gifts to greater and lesser degrees. There are outright fake psychics, highly gifted psychics, and all ranges in-between. Most don't advertise. I wouldn't go to one that advertised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships