Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:21 PM

143 posts, read 540,591 times

Advertisements

Paternity tests are becoming more popular for men to find out if their child is really their biological child.

My question is for the fathers here: What would you do if you found out that your child was not biologically yours? Would you abandon the child and write them off for good? Would it matter if the child were a baby or school aged? Would it matter if it was a boy or a girl?

I don't have kids and I never will (medical issues) but I find it fascinating as to what men will actually do with this information if they find out that their child is not really theirs.

Vitals - Paternity questions plague 1 in 10, DNA test firm says

Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
The national registry database that's set up in the U.S. practically begging men to pay something toward the livelihood of their bastard children or ELSE tells me this isn't an issue majority of you will have to worry about....The likelihood they will have a child and not take care of it, is more realistic than the opposite that happens to a few trash bags on Maury Povich. Maury Povich is the sole reason this 'He's NOT the father!' paternity testing phenomenon has kicked off in the past few years. Anything to get out of paying I suspect. Just saying. Oh -- most of them will abandon the child, highly doubt they'll continue paying for something that's not theirs & not legally obligated to at that.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 02-07-2012 at 08:55 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,066,507 times
I guess if you question the paternity of the children it can be a good thing that this test is affordable.

However, there was one comment that stood out to me:

I've had paternity done on all my children. I'm in a good marriage, never divorced, but you never know. I'm not going to be a sucker raising some other dudes kid. No harm in double checking and keeping her honest.

If my husband EVER suggested a paternity test for our children as this guy did, I'd go along with it and then when it came back that they were all 100% his I'd divorce his ass and OWN him.

Obviously his marriage isn't that good if he even has to question the paternity of his children.
The "harm" in double checking is that he is showing he doesn't trust her or their marriage. I really hope his wife wasn't a sucker to stay married to that loser!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM

663 posts, read 1,081,708 times
I'm not a guy so I can only imagine/guess about this scenario. If it were me, it would depend on how long the relationship with the child had been established. If the child was older and the bond long established, I would likely hang in there for the long haul. In the case of a newborn, I would likely not stick around.

I know a guy in that very situation. He found out his daughter was not really his when she was a toddler or thereabouts. His daughter is now an adult in her 20's. He stuck around and was dad to the fullest extent; they are very close. He says he doesn't regret a single day of being her dad and she is very much a daddy's girl. I am pretty sure she knows the truth but can't remember for sure.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug11768 View Post
Paternity tests are becoming more popular for men to find out if their child is really their biological child.

My question is for the fathers here: What would you do if you found out that your child was not biologically yours? Would you abandon the child and write them off for good? Would it matter if the child were a baby or school aged? Would it matter if it was a boy or a girl?

I don't have kids and I never will (medical issues) but I find it fascinating as to what men will actually do with this information if they find out that their child is not really theirs.

Vitals - Paternity questions plague 1 in 10, DNA test firm says
I'm not exactly sure what I would do. I can't honestly say I would check out and write the kid off, I can't say whether the gender of the kid would make any difference, I can't say what I would do if the kid was a baby or school aged.
I *would* probably be extremely angry at being lied to, because this would only make me assume that there was some BIG infidelity going on. Furthermore, I would be angry that I was led to believe that the kid is mine.
I think that I would react to it differently for different situations. I may be tempted to raise the kid as my own, BUT that would assume that I was staying with wife/gf.
In most cases, though, I'd definitely have a hard time dealing with it, and wouldn't rule out lawyering up and investigating potential consequences of the situation.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
I'd get a paternity test if it was a girl I didn't wanna have the kid with in hopes that it wasn't mine.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 PM

62 posts, read 133,332 times
Is it not possible to get one done at birth? Just have doc pluck a few hairs from the newborn while mom is still hopped up on the painkillers and send it off to a lab? A week later and you get the results right ?

Pardon my naivety but how do guys end up finding out so late that a baby isn't theirs. I'd want to verify right away...18 years is a long time.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:16 PM

663 posts, read 1,081,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscillatory;
Is it not possible to get one done at birth? Just have doc pluck a few hairs from the newborn while mom is still hopped up on the painkillers and send it off to a lab? A week later and you get the results right ?

Pardon my naivety but how do guys end up finding out so late that a baby isn't theirs. I'd want to verify right away...18 years is a long time.
Maybe some suspect but don't really want to know and stick their head in the sand? Most people in an established relationship; I'm guessing their first thought isn't, "I wonder if someone else got her pregnant." Especially if he hasn't been given a reason to think so.

It probably depends on the people and circumstances, hard to say.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,066,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscillatory View Post

If you are married to someone, why would you assume the baby isn't yours? Sometimes it doesn't come out until years later that the wife had an affair.

It's also costly (a few thousand) and health insurance doesn't cover it.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:11 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,689,590 times
not a father but I'm bored so I'll answer anyway

if I found out at birth I'd find the scumbag who got the mother pregnant and force him to support his child

if I found out like ten years down the road I don't think I could up and leave. biological father or not, I would still be the kid's father figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships