Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 12:21 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,781,510 times

Advertisements

Good for you. Grieve the loss of the relationship and move forward. He will be an alcoholic all his life, there is no cure for his disease, it is just a matter of whether he is sober or not...that's it.

It will take time for you to recover from codependency and understanding that you are worth so much more in a relationship than he will ever be able to offer you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,748,762 times
[quote=blondiel;23051223]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
you shouldn't go back to him he is obviously no good like the rest. you give him another chance and he will just run all over you like he did before. anytime you try and give them a chance they prove you wrong and crap all over you again.

Exactly! Been there, done that, made stupid mistake.
in the end it's not worth it, i learned a long time ago, they just do the same things over and over again. keep crapping all over you until you learn to know better.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,266,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel06 View Post
... I am on my own now, and I am so lonely. I miss the jerk. And I still love him, although I know I can never trust him and I need to move on. I just don't know how to get over the hurt and disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
... realize while you can love someone, you are grieving what should have been, what you hoped he might have been if things were the way they should have been in a healthy mutually supportive relationship. The man you left wasn't the person you wanted....
Jan nailed it with this.

You miss and love what you once had with him, what you thought you had or what you'd hoped for. I doubt you really love what he's become.

I went through these feelings with my ex years ago. I hated what our relationship had become for years, but I loved her. Then I asked myself what it was about her that I loved. Very little. What I loved about her had changed. I loved who she was when we were married, but she was no longer that person. Once I realized that, it was very easy to let go.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,077,641 times
Dry drunk, wet drunk, they are both a PITA.

Congratulations! You will soon know that you have given yourself a great gift. A do-over! You have done a wonderful thing.

Now learn about co-dependency so you won't be tempted to make the same mistakes over again. And stay on your own for a while and work on you.

Best of luck!

Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,417,540 times
Big hug to you! Now, I recommend starting to get busy with some yoga classes, or any type of social activity that gets you busy. I also think you should spend at least six months or more taking a break from looking for another relationship, and just get comfortable with being alone. Once you are okay with that, then you are ready to have a relationship.

You deserve better. Kudos for the first painful step to self love. Many of us have been there, and experienced the pain, heartbreak, lonliness... Thanks for the update. Sending you positive energy, and love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships