Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:23 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,183 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking online dating is full of losers and players.

Unfortunately, I can be painfully shy when approached by men IRL and don't do well, unless they are the aggressive Type A personality like that MIA guy. So real life interraction with men will continue to be a challenge.

So after that whole saga, I decided to go back on Match this past weekend, after a really long time. My first impression; about 50% of the guys are the very same guys from three years ago! No kidding. They are still there. Still looking for "the one".

Some even had the nerve to say "welcome back!".

The profiles are even more disturbing. Someone is standing between his Mercedes sports and BMW X5 with a big smile on his face. First of all, why the need for two expensive cars if you're single as you claim? Big red flag. And I really don't get where these people come from with all this flashy business. Is that meant to impress women? Do they realize that on the other hand, they are flashing how much debts they have for all to see? I don't believe these people are rich. Can't speak for other women but to me it's a HUGE turn off. I love mystery. Reading between the lines. For example, why not just say what you do for a living, and let people figure out the rest? Or have pictures you took in different destinations around the world and let us figure out the rest? Another interesting profile didn't even have a profile picture, just pictures of his mansion, pool, boat, and cars. Really weird.

Another profile; "you must love my dog Coco first if you want me to love you!!" Sheesh, okay!

Another has a profile picture of his dog, lol! Not sure who is more ridiculous between the one with a profile picture of his dog or the one who put (I assume) his house. Some have pictures of themselves hugging some women

I mean, are men really that clueless?

Anyhow, I still believe underneath all that garbage, there must be some real gems, so I'm hopeful. I just started exchanging few emails with a seemingly nice Jewish guy and hopefully things will move in the right direction.

I would like to hear from the ladies and their experiences on this website, but all comments are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 03:31 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,441 times
LOL @ "welcome back" I dont have any experience with the online dating scene and quite frankly, i am a huge critic of meeting people via that method BUT tons of the people i work with admit to meeting their SO via match.com. So it works (I think) you just have to be patient....kiss a few frogs .......type deal!

Old 01-30-2012, 03:34 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,510,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post

And many men feel that online dating is full of women with unreal expectations, looking for the perfect package. Now that we got that out of the way, carry on...

Quote:
Unfortunately, I can be painfully shy when approached by men IRL and don't do well, unless they are the aggressive Type A personality like that MIA guy. So real life interraction with men will continue to be a challenge.

That obviously is something you're going to have to work on. It's one thing to be reserved, but it's something else to be shy. Men hate that just as much as women.

Quote:
So after that whole saga, I decided to go back on Match this past weekend, after a really long time. My first impression; about 50% of the guys are the very same guys from three years ago! No kidding. They are still there. Still looking for "the one".

We can speculate on the reasons, but anyway...

Quote:

Hey, at least they remembered you!

Quote:
The profiles are even more disturbing. Someone is standing between his Mercedes sports and BMW X5 with a big smile on his face. First of all, why the need for two expensive cars if you're single as you claim? Big red flag. And I really don't get where these people come from with all this flashy business. Is that meant to impress women? Do they realize that on the other hand, they are flashing how much debts they have for all to see? I don't believe these people are rich. Can't speak for other women but to me it's a HUGE turn off. I love mystery. Reading between the lines. For example, why not just say what you do for a living, and let people figure out the rest? Or have pictures you took in different destinations around the world and let us figure out the rest? Another interesting profile didn't even have a profile picture, just pictures of his mansion, pool, boat, and cars. Really weird.

The reason men do it is because it works. Women are attracted to status. Status can derive from good looks, money, fame, popularity, and yes...material items. And to be perfectly honest, I can read through the average female profile on Match, POF, or OKC and find at least 1 or 2 red flags myself.

Quote:
Another profile; "you must love my dog Coco first if you want me to love you!!" Sheesh, okay!

I've seen far worse on female profiles. And I'm an animal lover myself. I would also rule out anyone that dislikes animals.

Quote:
Another has a profile picture of his dog, lol! Not sure who is more ridiculous between the one with a profile picture of his dog or the one who put (I assume) his house. Some have pictures of themselves hugging some women

Is it a picture of only a dog, or a picture of them with their dog? The latter is perfectly reasonable. The former, not so much. As for the last part, women are attracted to men that are desired by other women. When seen with other women, a woman is more attracted to him. It shows he is a pre-selected male. It's subconcious and you have no control over it, no matter how much you choose to tell yourself otherwise. As I said earlier, they do it because it works. They know how the female mind works.

Quote:

I could say the same about many women.

Quote:
Anyhow, I still believe underneath all that garbage, there must be some real gems, so I'm hopeful. I just started exchanging few emails with a seemingly nice Jewish guy and hopefully things will move in the right direction.

There most certainly are some real gems, male and female. Finding them is the hard part.

Quote:
I would like to hear from the ladies and their experiences on this website, but all comments are appreciated.

Your thread is also appreciated.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
My first impression; about 50% of the guys are the very same guys from three years ago! No kidding. They are still there. Still looking for "the one".
Same here and in all locations, I'd imagine. To be fair, we still look, too, so...

Quote:
Yes, they are.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:18 PM

11,373 posts, read 9,288,232 times
What is this thread going to be a war between the sexes?

Women are just as bad. I've had it with online dating.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,474,130 times
I found that 90% of the people on these sites weren't even remotely a match and not worth my time, 5% may be worth checking, and another 5% at most are worth meeting, of which a few may be worth dating. I'm not sure what you expect OP, but only a few in a hundred are viable candidates, based on my experience.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM

526 posts, read 955,543 times
Quote:
There are many of those, but I refuse to believe there aren't good men in there. I mean, you and I are there, right? Just be patient.

Quote:
I guess that kind of men you are looking for will initiate contact with you online.

Quote:

Same here. I went back in on New Years, after a three-month self-imposed dating hiatus and some of the men I went on dates with the first time around would email me and send me winks. They are definetely loyal customers to Match.com, lol.

Quote:
Just ignore them. It might work for some women, but it does not work for me. I find traveling pictures more interesting than "flashing" ones.

Quote:

I understand the guy. I have a dog and I couldn't date someone who dislike pets. My spoiled little brat isn't going anywhere

I once read a profile of a guy saying not to email him if you disliked horses. He also said that no woman will ever come in between him and his horse. He said the ones who tried, fell off the wagon. I was like, wtf? So there are plenty of extreme pet lovers out there.

Now, I have a question, was the picture with the dog or the dog alone? Usually women are the ones to post pictures with pets, I have yet to see men doing that in my area.

Quote:
Keep the hope alive MissLucky! I believe there are great guys out there. It just takes time to find them. But do not rely on online dating alone, go out and stay active on your social circle. You never know where your match will be.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:55 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
As a reminder.. no gender bashing..

Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,686,293 times
Miss Lucky, I once saw a profile pic that was an alien! It got a laugh from me I must say

Old 01-30-2012, 04:57 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
misslucky dont sound too lucky to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships