Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 02:04 PM

583 posts, read 714,737 times

Advertisements

Some say if your partner doesn't "get bent out of shape" if someone else shows interest in them then that means they are not interested in the person they're with or they have a side relationship with someone else to even care.

Others say jealousy is a bad thing and that it has no bearing on whether or not that person is interested the relationship or their faithfulness.

So which one is it? Which one is correct? Should jealousy be something "normal" in a relationship to show you still care and interested in the person you're with or is that shouldn't that shouldn't happen in a relationship?? Should that be a cause for alarm?

If someone wrote a thread about this already, I do apologize. It has been a while since I've written in here. Thanks for understanding!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 02:10 PM

6,465 posts, read 7,811,020 times
Jealousy is ok. Being upset because of something having to do with power or possession is not.

Not being jealous is also ok. Can mean there is much trust in the relationship.

Love isn't black and white.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:00 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,082,918 times
If someone likes me, or someone likes my partner, neither of us have no control over that.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,545,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Some say if your partner doesn't "get bent out of shape" if someone else shows interest in them then that means they are not interested in the person they're with or they have a side relationship with someone else to even care.

Others say jealousy is a bad thing and that it has no bearing on whether or not that person is interested the relationship or their faithfulness.

So which one is it? Which one is correct? Should jealousy be something "normal" in a relationship to show you still care and interested in the person you're with or is that shouldn't that shouldn't happen in a relationship?? Should that be a cause for alarm?

If someone wrote a thread about this already, I do apologize. It has been a while since I've written in here. Thanks for understanding!!
How do you prevent someone from showing interest?...... It WILL happen and your partner WILL get attention and all you can do is trust that they don't respond to it with the other said person that has shown the interest

On the whole if honest I've not really got the time for jealousy as it's just not for me and if by being loving, attentive and affectionate is NOT showing that you love and cherish them then I don't know what is?

Personally I think it's quite sad for people that require a 3rd party to validate and confirm THEIR interest and feelings in THEIR partner

Welcome back Cinna

Old 05-20-2017, 07:45 PM

52,317 posts, read 52,784,279 times
Mrs. Chow doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

IDK, I think it depends on how much and how aggressive someone is. A simple appreciative glance is fine, but some dude straight out macking isn't going to work in my world. I'm not a jealous guy for the most part, but we all have our limits.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,030,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
A simple appreciative glance is fine, but some dude straight out macking isn't going to work in my world..
Right?

Old 05-20-2017, 07:50 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Some say ...
Some... are idiots.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:58 PM

3,304 posts, read 3,037,155 times
Quote:

IMO and that of my DH, jealousy is a juvenile, self defeating and useless emotion. Both of us have had the experience of having others hit on us, and we just laugh about it. I still tease him about three separate instances where a woman hit on him right in front of me. We both thought it was highly amusing at the time, and I still do.

Actual jealousy is unattractive, boring and offputting. If he really wants to go off with someone else, my being jealous won't stop him, so what's the point?

Old 05-20-2017, 09:15 PM

4,854 posts, read 3,655,564 times
I'm 61 and I've literally had men hit on me when I was WITH MY HUSBAND.

I do not care, am not interested, and am pretty uninterested if whether or not the flirts are serious.

My husband will say stuff like "did you not see that he was hitting on you" and I say, uh, no.

I'm old, no one cares about me, I could be their friggin mother.

After my husband, I'm DONE with relationships.

Give me instead privacy and peace and quiet.

My husband is a very fit and handsome 71, sort of a Paul Newman type. I see women look at him all the time. I figure you want him, wear yourself out.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:32 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,464,654 times
The only reason I would have to get bent out of shape at the idea of someone else being in to my wife is if my wife herself accepted and pursued it.

That said, most people project a hell of a lot on the subject of jealousy. its rarely a rational or logical discussion when the j word gets thrown around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships