Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:56 PM

228 posts, read 422,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Don't fear it, embrace it!

One of the best things about life is that you get to make your own choices. If you don't want to become your parents, don't. You don't have to follow their path....it's all up to you.

But you do have to MAKE those choices or life will make the decisions for you. Growing up/older is inevitable. If you don't like the way it's going, give yourself an intervention and re-invent yourself.

Self determination is a great thing. But you do have to exercise your option to make your life your own.
Excellent words of wisdom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 PM

85 posts, read 139,111 times
You don't say if you're male of female but maybe that doesn't matter. I am a 37 year old woman with two wonderful sons and a husband I adore that treats me like a queen (2nd husband, the boys' father felt women were beneath him). I would NEVER go back to being 21 or any age in my 20's; I like myself and my life so much more now. I'm in better physical shape, I don't take so much crap, I am much more in control of my life, and am in general a much more rounded person that knows who I am and what I offer. I am also quite happy with my job and it pays really well; I think how much the years will bother you depends on what you do with your life. At your age you still feel like you have your whole life ahead of you; if you don't accomplish anything eventually it will pass you buy. If you do accomplish things you will get to actually live a full life and that is priceless! You are not living your life yet, you are preparing for it. And please make sure you have something to offer besides the looks of a 20 something; I am a long distance runner and probably have a better body then many 20 year olds, and while I look pretty good for my age I certainly don't look like I did 15 years ago so make sure when your youth is gone you have something else to offer so you can age with grace. And fear not, because life is a series of adventures that you must put behind you before you can move on to the next. And if you don't like getting older, consider the alternative! Good luck

Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,400,659 times
Why waste your youth on suffering from an obsessive fear of getting older? Are you afraid of losing your looks or dying young, or both?

What a waste. Enjoy your life NOW.

Here's something else for to to obsess over: the older you get, the faster time goes. Believe me, it happens. You'll be 30 before you know it and 40 is just around the corner.

Deal with it.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,515,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I guess this is the right forum..

I'm 23 and I have this obsessive fear of getting older, and moving into to later adulthood.. I don't want to be my parents.. and it scares me? Like the part when you have a job you hate, and kids and marriage, and then you have to be this person.. does anyone ever feel like this?
Nope. I always felt young and in control of my life and I am 10+ years older then you.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:16 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,974,901 times
Look at it this way. The sun is going to come up tomorrow and there's nothing you can do about it so why worry? Same with aging.. The great thing about aging is in most cases you gain wisdom and experiences. What you may see within your parents life is memories being made.. At older ages most people don't dwell on the journey as a struggle it's more of a building of a life...

Here's a test. Break out the family album when your mother is nearby and just watch her.. What you may see as a life of grief will bring a smile to her face when she taps into her memory... Then again you could be right..

Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,696,258 times
i want to have fun, i just am not able to have fun or live my life because of obligation and circumstances, so that is why i am stuck, and i just dont want to loose this point of my life ...i feel trapped because as hard as im' trying to get out i can't.

if i'm going to die young i wouldn't care if i didnt live life to the fullest because i'm dead and it wont matter.. but if i'm going to grow old i dont want to regret it.

i dont want to end of being like michael jackson, stuck at one age because i never got to be that age.
i just dont want to be an old woman full of regret , waiting to die alone

Old 02-22-2012, 11:11 AM

86 posts, read 222,458 times
I'm a 28 year old guy and I'm happy just to be alive. I had 2 close friends who died of cancer while in college. One died at 21, the other at 22. Then at 25 another friend was diagnosed with a brain tumor and luckily he found it early enough that it could be treated. When I was 26, I jumped off of a sea cliff because I'd never jumped off of a cliff before and almost got swept out to sea. When I was 23, it seemed like my friends were dying left and right. I didn't know if I'm going to be next, I definitely do not miss that. I'm happy to have made it past the young and stupid stage alive.

I think our culture worships youth too much. It is not always fun being young. Regret is a choice, you can always find things to regret about your life if you look hard enough. The best way to not regret the past is to just live in the present. You can have fun at any age. My grandmother spent her youth during WWII dodging bombs, but now she loves playing with her new iPad 2.

You can always have fun as long as you are alive. The only thing that isn't fun is dying.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,155,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
I guess this is the right forum..

I'm 23 and I have this obsessive fear of getting older, and moving into to later adulthood.. I don't want to be my parents.. and it scares me? Like the part when you have a job you hate, and kids and marriage, and then you have to be this person.. does anyone ever feel like this?
don't sweat the small stuff....you FEAR should be of the opposite.....NOT getting older.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,311,370 times
dynimagelv is right L'Artiste....You seem to have a bit of a skewed idea of what getting and being older is....there are MANY of us who although we may not enjoy going to work each day...it's a job... the reward at the end of the day IS our "kids and marriage"....You can never be your parents...you're not them....you're you, and if you feel that you're "destined" to walk the same path in life as your parents, you can still choose to tailor that path to be how-ever pleasant you do or don't want it to be......

Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,754,913 times
I am in my 50's and life is great...We have so many choices in life..and we can be happy or miserable.
I have been married to the same guy since I was 21...our big plan was to grow old together and it is working. Marriage and growing old can be a lot of fun or you can be miserable until the day you die.

Your choice. Don't count on someone else to give you happiness...that is within

Good Luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships