Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:14 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,854 times

Advertisements

For most of my life, I have not let people get close to me. THat includes friends and women I date, as well as my family.

When I make a new friend or start dating a new person, it freaks me out when I get emotionally close with them, and I usually sabotage the relationship in some way.

I remind myself of a drifter, moving from person to person and keeping a mysterious vibe, because I keep everyone outside of my personal gate. Of course this results in the lack of close friends, and I've never had a relationship longer than 6 months, usually because I bail or the woman is tired of trying to break into my emotional vault that I keep hidden from everyone.

What's up with that? Discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:16 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
It sounds almost like you're romanticizing yourself, TBH.

Lighten up and have some fun. So what if you keep yourself a little distant? There's such a thing as being too open. I think you're thinking of yourself as a sort of "desperado"...IDK, just a feeling I get.

Laugh a little!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Lighten up and have some fun. So what if you keep yourself a little distant? There's such a thing as being too open. I think you're thinking of yourself as a sort of "desperado"...IDK, just a feeling I get.

Laugh a little!
hmmmmmm, interesting. I will have to ponder your words, as there may be some truth there.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:18 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Laugh a little!
Yep.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,735,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
For most of my life, I have not let people get close to me. THat includes friends and women I date, as well as my family.

When I make a new friend or start dating a new person, it freaks me out when I get emotionally close with them, and I usually sabotage the relationship in some way.

I remind myself of a drifter, moving from person to person and keeping a mysterious vibe, because I keep everyone outside of my personal gate. Of course this results in the lack of close friends, and I've never had a relationship longer than 6 months, usually because I bail or the woman is tired of trying to break into my emotional vault that I keep hidden from everyone.

What's up with that? Discuss...
I can relate to you although I am capable of long term relationships with a partner. I have come to accept that this is who I am and there will always be a part of me that is kept hidden. My husband sometimes gets annoyed at me but he understands this reticence on my part to fully reveal myself. I just put it down to being a Scorpio

Old 02-25-2012, 06:52 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I can relate to you although I am capable of long term relationships with a partner. I have come to accept that this is who I am and there will always be a part of me that is kept hidden. My husband sometimes gets annoyed at me but he understands this reticence on my part to fully reveal myself. I just put it down to being a Scorpio
I'm Aquarius and I'm the same way. Then again, Scorpio and Aquarius are supposed to be the oddest, most misunderstood signs.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:11 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
LOL....having a Scorpio Venus, its definately a trait. Not that theres anything secretive to hide. They value their personal privacy in all relationships. Its a vulnerability thing.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:16 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,526 times
I am this way also. My friends tell me everything and I listen. With dating, honestly, sometimes I get so tired of the blah, blah life story, get to know you stuff that I don't talk...just listen. After all, most people like to talk about themselves. The men I've met recently can go on for hours and hours and hours....

Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,990,050 times
Well I know that I'm not a ME monster. lol

People who talk about themselves are the most boring people I can meet. They go on and on about themselves and eventually I fall asleep or I walk away. If I have to go on a date with one like this, I stop the date and leave. Just not my thing.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Well I know that I'm not a ME monster. lol

People who talk about themselves are the most boring people I can meet. They go on and on about themselves and eventually I fall asleep or I walk away. If I have to go on a date with one like this, I stop the date and leave. Just not my thing.
Ever noticed people who can't handle silences in conversation so they never come up for air? Its not always bc they're self centered, just nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships