Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,555,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
How much effort did it take for you to purposefully skip over the point I was making?
Not one single ounce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,366,175 times
Not everyone can afford to take an international vacation. There are plenty of places to visit without leaving the United States.

She sounds high maintenance.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,197,805 times
Default "you must have a passport!"..........

I'm not surprised and she was probably dead serious. I doubt it was for "Shyt's and giggles" like some of you seem to think or want to belive.

I've noticed both men and women have som many things that they "require" for a potentil mate, I'm not surprised why many are single and are in and out of relationships.

I'm the kind of guy that can work with a gal. I don't "require" much. I always say, give me a 7 and we can work on becoming a perfect 10 together. Most people go in looking for a perfect 10.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,226,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Not everyone can afford to take an international vacation. There are plenty of places to visit without leaving the United States.

You see here's the thing. You and I would not be a compatible match which is fine, not everyone is/ can be. I would not be happy living without international travel - it's one of the great joys of life for me... and thankfully for my DH too.
You would not have answered that girl's profile.... which is good because you probably wouldn't have been a match. So what's wrong with that? I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I'm not surprised and she was probably dead serious. I doubt it was for "Shyt's and giggles" like some of you seem to think or want to belive.

I've noticed both men and women have som many things that they "require" for a potentil mate, I'm not surprised why many are single and are in and out of relationships.

I'm the kind of guy that can work with a gal. I don't "require" much. I always say, give me a 7 and we can work on becoming a perfect 10 together. Most people go in looking for a perfect 10.
Meh, I would agree with you over a lot of things, but not something like this. If you were an avid sailer, you probably wouldn't be ideally suited to someone who couldn't swim and had a pathological fear of water and suffered from chronic sea sickness.
Would MUST HAVE SEA LEGS!! be seen as a weird requirement? I think it's the same thing and no big deal.
I wouldn't answer the above person's ad because I don't really like sailing - we wouldn't be as compatible as I would be with someone who enjoyed other things.

You can't date EVERYONE, so you have to narrow down in some way surely?

Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
"YOU MUST HAVE A PASSPORT!"

I would not even try to date. I really do understand why people give up on dating and say F**K IT! I went to Chipotle today and had more fun by myself than I've had a many dates.
This is deja-vu. I once saw an ad that said "must have a well-worn passport." She was very well traveled and was in investment banking. Every last damn line about her and her requirements was pretentious. I hope she has a good collection of d***os...she was something less than human, though very attractive.

This is probably why you've got more people dining and traveling alone. Other than not being able to split some expenses, it can be real peaceful.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,430,312 times
People like to have all these inane "requirements" to make it seem like they are such a hod commodity. It's like McDonald's asking for a full set of references and 18 months kitchen experience.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I always say, give me a 7 and we can work on becoming a perfect 10 together.
OMG. Catch a lot of fish with that line, Cassanova?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
You see here's the thing. You and I would not be a compatible match which is fine, not everyone is/ can be. I would not be happy living without international travel - it's one of the great joys of life for me... and thankfully for my DH too.
You would not have answered that girl's profile.... which is good because you probably wouldn't have been a match. So what's wrong with that? I don't get it.
'K, stop making sense over there, Hobokenkitchen.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,817,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
If I was dating, I could totally see myself saying something like this. I don't see it as demanding at all. It's a fun way of saying - I love to travel and I hope you want to come too!

This kind of thing is how you end up with someone you are compatible with rather than someone like my husband's Dad who has never left the country. Someone who doesn't want to travel would literally e a deal breaker for me, so why not be upfront in a cute way?

I don't get the issue with this at all.
I agree with this. Well maybe I wouldn't put it in all caps and maybe I wouldn't literally require him to have a PP at this very moment, but if he's not willing to take foreign trips then we're not going to be a good match, so why waste time? It has nothing to do with arrogance--I just want to date someone who shares my passion for traveling. And I agree with you about Longtimebravesfan not being a match--nothing against him--I'm sure he's perfect for someone else, but I'm totally bored by sports and I have the feeling that it's something that's important to him so I wouldn't be a good match either.

Once I read in a dating profile that anyone with a chihauhau (he spelled it that way) need not apply. Well I sent him a pic of my chihauhau and we did write quite a lot for awhile but the distance was too great so we gave it up, but I just thought it was funny. Someone else would probably have complained about what the dating world is coming to.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,921,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post

I disagree somewhat. Obviously people living from paycheck to paycheck won't have the chance to travel. If you take the average working stiff and take away the plasma tv then a trip becomes within reach. And the type of people on dating sites tend to be reasonably affluent. But then some people would prefer to collect nice things-different strokes!

To some people (myself for example) traveling abroad is a priority, so I look for stuff like that in common when I'm meeting girls. Is that the only thing? Of course not, with no chemistry between us it doesn't matter if she wants to go on an expedition to Timbuktu. For those of us who manage to make more than we spend, it's not an issue of being able to afford to travel, it's an issue of priority. People who are passionate about it would see where I'm coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships