Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 PM

4,418 posts, read 9,165,422 times

Advertisements

While I do not support Santorum and other similar Christian Right goons, I still have some socially conservative views. The difference is I have no interest in legislating or passing laws that regulate behavior. I can still comment on behavior I do not agree with. Here goes, I am not a cohabitation person. Some guy who just was released from jail meets up with a woman and moves in with her. I understand he knew her before, but even so this is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is a dude who met some woman online from across the country and within weeks they are moving in together. What is the rush? Why do people just jump the gun and start shacking up. I will never do it. Even if I am in a serious relationship, you have your place, and I have mine. Of course I'll have sex, but no permanent living arrangement will be agreed upon until there is an actual commitment leading to marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:43 PM

48,636 posts, read 35,109,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
While I do not support Santorum and other similar Christian Right goons, I still have some socially conservative views. The difference is I have no interest in legislating or passing laws that regulate behavior. I can still comment on behavior I do not agree with. Here goes, I am not a cohabitation person. Some guy who just was released from jail meets up with a woman and moves in with her. I understand he knew her before, but even so this is ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is a dude who met some woman online from across the country and within weeks they are moving in together. What is the rush? Why do people just jump the gun and start shacking up. I will never do it. Even if I am in a serious relationship, you have your place, and I have mine. Of course I'll have sex, but no permanent living arrangement will be agreed upon until there is an actual commitment leading to marriage.
Carry on.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,047,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Carry on.
Carry on my wayward son?

There is peace when you are done?

Lay your weary head to rest?

Don't you cry no more?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 PM

11,413 posts, read 9,339,070 times
I'm open to the possibility of "shacking up."

Marriage - no. I made that mistake once already.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,760,036 times
most of these people out there are into 'playing house,' 'shacking up,' or however you want to call it. It really is the 'in' thing to do today. Men have discovered they can more easily weasel their way out of this situation as opposed to marriage, which would really take a lot more effort on their part to cut loose from. Any woman OK with this living arrangement is a braver woman then I. I know a woman whose bf kicked her out when he found a new gf, she had given up her apartment the year before and everything. Had to move in with her mother temporarily. Stupid! A lot of these people end up living with this one for 4 years then moving on and living with that one for 8 years. Revolving door, no stability for them or the kids (if they have them). Sometimes I know a woman will live with a guy for 10 years and hope he is going to marry her. LOL. My mom used to say: Why buy the cow...yea, you know. Unlikely I'll get married at this point, but I would never agree to that kind of arrangement, I'm with the OP, without a marriage certificate. I've had guys actually LOL at this idea about not living together for years before marriage. It's a joke to them. I don't care. I'll keep a roof over my head instead of playing those odds.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,240,420 times
I lived with my husband before we got married. To each their own.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:46 PM

461 posts, read 784,209 times
I'm just thankful to live in a country with lifestyle options without the threat of being beheaded or killed for 'honor'.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:29 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,379,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
most of these people out there are into 'playing house,' 'shacking up,' or however you want to call it. It really is the 'in' thing to do today. Men have discovered they can more easily weasel their way out of this situation as opposed to marriage, which would really take a lot more effort on their part to cut loose from. Any woman OK with this living arrangement is a braver woman then I. I know a woman whose bf kicked her out when he found a new gf, she had given up her apartment the year before and everything. Had to move in with her mother temporarily. Stupid! A lot of these people end up living with this one for 4 years then moving on and living with that one for 8 years. Revolving door, no stability for them or the kids (if they have them). Sometimes I know a woman will live with a guy for 10 years and hope he is going to marry her. LOL. My mom used to say: Why buy the cow...yea, you know. Unlikely I'll get married at this point, but I would never agree to that kind of arrangement, I'm with the OP, without a marriage certificate. I've had guys actually LOL at this idea about not living together for years before marriage. It's a joke to them. I don't care. I'll keep a roof over my head instead of playing those odds.
My daughter and her boyfriend shared an apartment for a year, but they were engaged (they are now married and bought a house). She says she would not have had that arrangement if they hadn't been serious about getting married. Her boyfriend's (now husband's) mother? She would have disowned him if he had planned on "shacking up" with my daughter for ten years or more. We (DH and I) were far more accepting of the year's arrangement than she was.

Marriage is a big step, though, as is divorce (I worked for an attorney for ten years). We've had clients who after 20 years of marriage thought they could just get it "annulled" (which doesn't work in this state, unless the parties are blood relatives, certified insane, etc.) Some thought it would just involve preparing an order, taking it to the courthouse for a judge's signature, and voila, you're divorced. Asset and debt division and settlement negotiations can be brutal (and costly). In some divorce cases, the parties racked up thousands of dollars in additional attorney's fees on top of the initial retainer (a no-fault divorce retainer was $850.00, and they were RARELY no-fault), to the tune of $150.00 per hour (and the attorney I worked for was adept at padding the hours).

Old 03-03-2012, 03:06 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,522,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
[shrug]

Old 03-03-2012, 04:31 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,870,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I'm open to the possibility of "shacking up."

Marriage - no. I made that mistake once already.
I agree.

I'd also check the laws on cohabitation in your state, because knowing how liberal Maryland is they may have some type of common law marriage configuration that kicks in after a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships