Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,126 times

Advertisements

I think there are several benefits lOne is that you dont get locked into thinking that the person you just met is the one. The second is that if it doesnt work out with one you
have the possibility of it working out with one of the others. Discuss your personal experiences dating like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
Expensive

If you dating a single gal, you can get away with 1 or 2 night outs a week but when you dating multiple gals, your likely going out nightly.. i guess that could be a positive for some as well.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I think there are several benefits lOne is that you dont get locked into thinking that the person you just met is the one. The second is that if it doesnt work out with one you
have the possibility of it working out with one of the others. Discuss your personal experiences dating like this.
If I were dating for the intention of marriage, which I am, then I believe that one person deserves my full attention and I theirs.
I don't date to just "see if something works out."

This scenario seldom works with people who are really looking for a long-term partner. It takes much effort and time to really learn another person. If we go around diluting our energy and spreading ourselves thin, then no one ever gets the best of us! And we are not able to truly see how another responds, reacts and IS in different occassions.

Overall, dating several people at once is only ok for very casual intentions.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM

773 posts, read 1,260,156 times
The extent to which I've dated "several people at once" was when I was in college and saw a guy a couple of times then another guy a couple of times. Sometimes those dates with the two men were staggered.

But to date several people at the same time, concurrently? Nope. I just don't know of any men who I've dated who would have been down with this kind of thing. In fact, after a certain stage, most have insisted on exclusivity or nothing.

As for dating several people at once, it's OK ... as long as all of your dating partners know they are not the only one. I went out with a guy once who made me think that I was the only woman he was seeing only to find out later that it wasn't true. He was "deciding" between me and another couple of women for the first three months — when I thought we were exclusive. At the time, we were also sexually intimate. I assume that he was also fooling around with the other women, too. Had I known this, I would have given him a pass from the get-go. And in fact, I did once I found out about it.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
In the early stages of dating, I firmly believe in dating several women at once if I have that option. Usually after a date or few, I'll know if they have potential, but very few do (maybe just one in five). Rather than start the whole process over again, having another prospect in the early stages is a huge plus in terms of time and effort. When someone actually does have real potential, I'll raise the question of exclusivity, and if we're in agreement, will stop seeing anyone else and stop looking. When I was actively dating, my intentions were to find a serious relationship.

I really don't think it's any business of theirs to know if I'm dating anyone else, either, except when sex enters the equation. Equally, I don't care if they're dating others. We'll each choose who's the best match for us and if it's mutual, go from there.

If it matters that much to someone, they can ask me, and they can also not date me. I'm okay with that, because we'd probably have other areas where we don't agree so wouldn't be a match.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
cheating
the root of the issue is that one person you want is unwilling or unable to meet your needs. u have given up on them ever even trying. they are content with your 10000 watts out 3 watts back behavior.
u r the one fed up with it not them. they are ok with it. that is why it never occurs to them u r cheating.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
cheating
the root of the issue is that one person you want is unwilling or unable to meet your needs. u have given up on them ever even trying. they are content with your 10000 watts out 3 watts back behavior.
u r the one fed up with it not them. they are ok with it. that is why it never occurs to them u r cheating.
good grief my friend, do you not realize just how jaded you come off in your posts?

Besides, this thread is about DATING, not cheating - though I know all roads lead to cheating in your mind

Old 04-11-2012, 12:03 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Dating as a way of meeting and getting to know as many folks as possible is a good thing. After all, the wider you cast your net the larger variety of fish you'll catch

However, I think it's poor form to date someone more than 3 times once you know you're not feeling it in my opinion.

But there is no reason not to date several people at once as long as have no commitment or understanding with any one person.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times
It's a good idea, but expensive. Then you have to deal with people already thinking they own you by questioning what you're doing.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 PM

733 posts, read 1,664,275 times
You are right, OP. In my experience, the magic number is 3 (guys). My dating experience has definitely reflected that dating multiple people was a good move. Initially I was dating one guy at a time (I'm old-fashioned like that), none of those worked out because I was putting too much pressure on myself. As soon as I began dating 3 eligible guys at once, I was my charming self again.

Although I had a small dilemma at one point: after going on a few dates with all of them, and when it was time to discuss "exclusivity" and "where are we going with this", I didn't know whom to pick. They had different lifestyles, and different personalities, and I clicked with all of them. Silly and clueless me went with the first person who asked. I immediately dropped the other two guys. That relationship didn't work out (he was completely settled in life, while I'm still exploring the world, I needed more spontaneity and excitement). Luckily for me, I was able to get reacquainted with one of the other two guys through texting while I was in another city visiting my parents, he flew to the city where my parents live and we had a blissful 48 hours full of chemistry and fun activities. Not long after that, we became exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships