Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the matter?
Good looks will get a great social life with no difficulty wherever 6 22.22%
Good looking people will have great social lives but may be limited by environment 8 29.63%
Good looks help but environment plays a much factor in social life and relationships 10 37.04%
Not even good looks can help in a limiting environment 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:02 PM

125 posts, read 268,799 times

Advertisements

So my friends and I were chatting today. Apparently the word was that if you are an attractive guy (talking about guys specifically), you should be able to have an active social life and dating life in the most unfavorable circumstances. In our circumstances, we go to a local 4 year college, most kids stick with their high school friends and rarely venture out, you have to join a frat to have anything close to a social life, and so forth.

Not a lot of people here enjoy an active social life, not at least at school that is. Thing is, my friends put up an argument that good looking guys can

1. Get an active social life going no matter where they are whether it be small town Alabama or NYC
2. Should not have a reason to worry about their success in the dating world and will usually not be found on places like these and other dating forums unless they are the ones giving advice
3. Will always have people keeping them company no matter where they are

My friends used two examples of guys we know in real life. Both guys have agreed to let us post their pics but we will only do so by request. Guy 1 manages to make it into beautifulpeople.com, has a very active social life, manages to get a lot of smiles and respect from girls, and usually girls are warm to him. Guy 2 is average looking, also applied to beautifulpeople.com but was quickly rejected, girls are also nice to him but generally there are girls who are mean to him too, his social life is not as active. Now guy 2 did go to a more urban and small high school while guy 1 went to a big high school.

Share your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 01:03 PM

3,936 posts, read 6,851,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahman21 View Post
So my friends and I were chatting today. Apparently the word was that if you are an attractive guy (talking about guys specifically), you should be able to have an active social life and dating life in the most unfavorable circumstances. In our circumstances, we go to a local 4 year college, most kids stick with their high school friends and rarely venture out, you have to join a frat to have anything close to a social life, and so forth.

Not a lot of people here enjoy an active social life, not at least at school that is. Thing is, my friends put up an argument that good looking guys can

1. Get an active social life going no matter where they are whether it be small town Alabama or NYC
2. Should not have a reason to worry about their success in the dating world and will usually not be found on places like these and other dating forums unless they are the ones giving advice
3. Will always have people keeping them company no matter where they are

My friends used two examples of guys we know in real life. Both guys have agreed to let us post their pics but we will only do so by request. Guy 1 manages to make it into beautifulpeople.com, has a very active social life, manages to get a lot of smiles and respect from girls, and usually girls are warm to him. Guy 2 is average looking, also applied to beautifulpeople.com but was quickly rejected, girls are also nice to him but generally there are girls who are mean to him too, his social life is not as active. Now guy 2 did go to a more urban and small high school while guy 1 went to a big high school.

Share your thoughts.
Dude, pretty and beautiful people have it easier in all aspects of life... It really is that simple.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,201,225 times
Obviously. This is nothing new.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:26 PM

a lot of you picked option 3, hope you did not ignore me leaving out bigger

so you admit environment matters, correct?

Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,136,894 times
Self confidence plays a huge role. Some good looking people don't see themselves as such and their insecurities stand in the way of them getting somewhere.

And some not as good looking people, but those with great confidence, get better results.

But if you have good looks AND confidence, then you'll be a winner for sure

People are always nicer to good looking people (with a few exceptions)

Old 03-08-2012, 02:17 PM

3,936 posts, read 6,851,282 times
Quote:

They are probably thinking that in some incredibly small towns people dont pay attention to that kind of stuff. They do. Its just that because the town is so small, there is less to obtain from being pretty/handsome.

Everybody is judgemental. Much like a beautiful car gets treated the best, same applies to humans. We take care of beautiful people, thats the way it SHOULD be. Our definition of beautiful is what keeps our species alive. Before humans became the dominating species, we had to select our mates based on who would be most fit to survive. The same applies today by choosing beautiful people.

Now a days, this has changed and looks have nothing to do with survival qualities. But our brains are still wired that way.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:57 PM

951 posts, read 1,812,461 times
Quote:

What the F is environment. Sometimes personality will work against good looking people, among a small group, but in modern society, this is seldom a problem. Selfish, narcissistic women in particular, do very well for themselves.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
the good looks game is played very differently than the rest of us.
the beautiful people dont have to be nice, there is a line outside the door.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 PM

I see I see I see

so when you say good looking guy, would you say that high cheekbones and prominent jaw line are are a must?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
Quote:
I see I see I see

so when you say good looking guy, would you say that high cheekbones and prominent jaw line are are a must?
i am telling u that i am sick and tired of being a pedestal object of beauty. i just want to be like ordinary people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships