Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 PM

270 posts, read 387,926 times

Advertisements

Is it normal to think about people from you past even if they have hurt you? Been feeling a little nostalgic about a certain someone even though it was hurtful experience but sometimes wonder what if... is this ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 PM

52,376 posts, read 52,844,834 times
I think so, I sometimes think fondly of the past or of people from that past.

I think sometimes time colors our perceptions.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 PM

428 posts, read 901,496 times
I think so. There are songs that come on that make instantly think of one person or another from my past even the ones that were jerks to me.. Were human just dont let if affect whats going on in your life now.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 PM

10,181 posts, read 20,813,606 times
It's normal to think back and remember only the good times. But while you're skipping down memory lane take a moment to remind yourself that there were some bad times that went hand in hand with the good. It'll all start to come back to you.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:48 PM

733 posts, read 1,665,660 times
I think so. Even though I often feel nostalgic about a simpler time in the past. Unfortunate events don't seem so bad in retrospect. Therefore I would understand that people feel nostalgic from time to time.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,027,680 times
It's no secret that people tend to view the past through rose-tinted glasses sometimes. When times are gone, they're gone. And your memory is what you make of it.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,027,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
I think so. Even though I often feel nostalgic about a simpler time in the past. Unfortunate events don't seem so bad in retrospect. Therefore I would understand that people feel nostalgic from time to time.
I hear a lot of people say that their past was a "simpler" time. One wonders if, though times were complex, it's just that we forget the complexities, which leads us to think it's simpler than it actually was?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:25 PM

733 posts, read 1,665,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I hear a lot of people say that their past was a "simpler" time. One wonders if, though times were complex, it's just that we forget the complexities, which leads us to think it's simpler than it actually was?
Exactly. It's due to difference in perspective.

My take is that: The past wasn't necessarily "simpler" than the present. But as people grow up and mature, the particular problems and complexities they faced in the past seem rather trivial in comparison to what they have to deal with presently and the consequences of the latter more severe (ex: gaining popularity in high school vs. struggling to pass a test vs. getting a job vs. struggling to pay off mortgage).

I welcome other suggestions.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:14 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,689,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
I think so. There are songs that come on that make instantly think of one person or another from my past even the ones that were jerks to me.. Were human just dont let if affect whats going on in your life now.
Music is very powerful that way. I can hear an old song and go back in time, remembering people, places, even what I was wearing. I think whenever we get a little down, we think about the past and what could have been and that things were more fun, easier and better.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,759,049 times
Ahhh memory lane, where everything was sweeter and more innocent than it is today.

Ding ding, time to wake up, it's reality time.

I let my mind take a wander every now and again but I always do it with the understanding my memories often retain the good while subduing the bad things. And life should be lived in the now, the past has gone and we don't know what the future holds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships