Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times

Advertisements

A friend of my parents built a house several years ago and had a sign nailed next to the front door. All it said was "we don't like yours either!". My dad asked him what that was about. People would come up to look at it and tell them it's very nice. But I would have put the door over there, or the window is too short, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:33 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I was thinking that as well but personally I would never spend that kind of money on a remodel. That amount would buy the land I want, build the house I want and pay off my last student loan with enough left over for a small cup of coffee at the local diner.....
$60,000 would buy you land, build a house and pay off a student loan? Wow! Where do you live?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
A friend of my parents built a house several years ago and had a sign nailed next to the front door. All it said was "we don't like yours either!". My dad asked him what that was about. People would come up to look at it and tell them it's very nice. But I would have put the door over there, or the window is too short, etc.
LOL! That's a great idea!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
At least you realize she put some dough into this project. I doubt it's anything short of spectacular.
Actually, by a lot of people's standards, it isn't even "spectacular." When we started, we thought it would maybe run us $30,000 max. Good quality materials and work are expensive, though, and we're really glad we did it. It was a miserable, depressing place to be, and now we're going to love being in it.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,751,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, by a lot of people's standards, it isn't even "spectacular." When we started, we thought it would maybe run us $30,000 max. Good quality materials and work are expensive, though, and we're really glad we did it. It was a miserable, depressing place to be, and now we're going to love being in it.
I know a little bit about the subject. You've earned the right to be proud.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,108,082 times
I think people are going to comment, that is just human nature. I doubt that most of your friends realize that is a touchy subject with you, because it isn't with most people. If you have a smart comeback you may risk loosing a friendship. If you don't care about loosing a friendship, why would you invite people into your basement to look it over and give their approval? I think you need to develop a little thicker skin.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:59 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
"You know we thought about doing that, but our interior designer, Raoul, have you heard of him? well he thought it would be too outdated."

OR

"So, when is it you'll be doing your basement?

OR

"You know that idea would look great in YOUR basement. When was it you said you were going to do it?"

Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
I would say, considering some people are so under priveledged they will never have a finished basement, my husband and I are quite happy and grateful for it.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:41 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBBARK View Post
Losing is not an option. Some people never lose.

^^^^^
THIS!

Although I tend these days to shrug them off more easily than I once did, there are certain people in this world who absolutely LIVE to "win". They will convolute arguments, speak in circles and even pretend a superior position by saying back to you the very things you said before, and if this is pointed out they will argue that you didn't say what you THOUGHT you said, or the old chestnut of "oh, sorry -- I must have missed that, BUT..." because there is more to add which surely means that YOU are still wrong.

These people do not care to listen; they do not care what you have to say. What is important is that THEY speak their piece, and that YOU admire them for their obvious superiority -- if not over everyone then certainly over you.

Upon realizing the sort of person with whom I'm dealing I will often begin to take a "fun" approach to the whole encounter, less baiting them and more just pointing out repeatedly their ravenous desire to argue at all cost.

The kinds of statements one will often hear involve things like "I'm not saying you're wrong, BUT --"

I like to follow that with "You're not saying I'm wrong... but I AM and it galls you. Is that it?"

When they switch to saying back to me what I initially said, merely rearranging the words a smidge or substituting so that a colour isn't "dark grey" anymore, now it's charcoal...

I like to say "So you have to argue with me because it was wrong a moment ago when I said it, and now to argue against it you're saying it back to me, because it's RIGHT when you say it instead of me -- am I getting this?"

Generally however, I just shake it off and although I HATE ending things this way, I say "Fine -- whatever." Truly, I hate that; but I am a strong believer in the adage never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:12 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I don't know, but I don't have catty, mean people come over to my home. If I have to socialize with people like that, I do it away from my home, at a time limited event. I got to a point with my ex husband's sister, to never have her at our home, ever. When we socialized with the "female dog", it was at someone else's home, so I could leave before saying something I would regret. She was a piece of work...mean as a snake, and snarky.
"Oh, you just got a new fridge? I read about that model in consumer reports, that it was over priced, and expensive to run...but I guess when you buy things on sale, you get what you get.".
Whatever. That was the last time she came to our home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships