Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:16 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Brainwashed? Those sentiments come from their home countries in Asia, not white supremacists in the US. First, most Asian countries don't have very many blacks living there. The exception would be those blacks living on American military bases. Otherwise, most pictures coming out of Africa show a very primitive living style. Yes, there are modern cities in Africa, however there are still many Africans who live as simple tribesmen in simple huts. And many African countries have issues and aren't doing well. I'm sure that Asians have similar sentiments about Australian aborigines.
Must not be too primitive for them to be investing so heavily over there. And if they had such astronomical IQ's, why would they let pictures dictate their perception of an entire race of people. Sounds like something a 3 yr old would do.

Quote:
In terms of what the Chinese would find suitable for a marriage partner for their children, is someone who is a well educated career person, preferably a medical doctor. So a potential suitor being Chinese or white isn't acceptable if he's only working at Walmart as a clerk and only made it through high school. So since more AA women have college degrees than the men, it's more likely to see Asian men and black women together as couples.
And who's to say that well-educated person can't be black? Come to think of it, to the average Asian woman, a white man could be less-educated than a black man but still be equal to the black man in terms of suitability.

Your last statement is an arrant falsehood, and an incredible leap of logic to boot.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:31 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
And who's to say that well-educated person can't be black?

I'm educated and a brownie.

I can be black if I stay around the equator for 10 days.

Black, brown, variants, we're no different, actually. College degrees don't differentiate on colour.

Only the uneducated invoke colour.

My grandparents, for instance.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:13 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Must not be too primitive for them to be investing so heavily over there. And if they had such astronomical IQ's, why would they let pictures dictate their perception of an entire race of people. Sounds like something a 3 yr old would do.
The Chinese are investing over in Africa as a source of labour and resources that's cheaper (!) that back home in China. In addition, having factories over in Africa, there is less environmental accountability for them to answer to. They aren't turning to Africa for skilled or high tech workers.
Quote:
And who's to say that well-educated person can't be black? Come to think of it, to the average Asian woman, a white man could be less-educated than a black man but still be equal to the black man in terms of suitability.

Your last statement is an arrant falsehood, and an incredible leap of logic to boot.
I am speaking from a Chinese point of view. The Chinese population is huge, and of course not all of them are college educated. Chinese come in all classes just like any society, however where they differ from blacks is the Chinese culture has valued a good education for thousands of years. The Japanese and the Koreans value academic prowess, but some of the other Asian cultures like the Vietnamese and the Filipinos aren't so driven by a desire for having a higher education.

Of course there are well educated blacks, however percentage-wise, there are more black men in prisons than those with a college degree. And I believe it was Calipoppy that reaffirmed that there are more college educated black women than black men. And that is also backed up with surveys and studies.

So... Mr. Sykes, if you were a brain surgeon, most Chinese families wouldn't object to you marrying their daughter. Otherwise, traditional Chinese families in general are not that keen on casual dating in general. So no matter what colour a man's skin is, they just aren't happy about their daughters dating for fun and being in a relationship that doesn't culminate in marriage. And that's probably why there are so many Chinese women dating and marrying white geeky men. Playboy types just don't interest them, especially guys with baby mommas.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Miu, just out of curiosity, what is your profession?

Old 05-09-2009, 04:47 PM
miu

I am an antiques dealer specializing in silver and art pottery. When I was a teenager, I wanted to be either an archaeologist or a paleontologist. I'm just a treasure hunter at heart. I also have a side job of doing catering work at a university for access to cheap health insurance. $4 a month for health insurance can't be beat. Another perk is getting a great meal with each shift worked, so I save a lot on buying groceries.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I am an antiques dealer specializing in silver and art pottery. When I was a teenager, I wanted to be either an archaeologist or a paleontologist. I'm just a treasure hunter at heart. I also have a side job of doing catering work at a university for access to cheap health insurance. $4 a month for health insurance can't be beat. Another perk is getting a great meal with each shift worked, so I save a lot on buying groceries.
Treasure hunter, huh? Good.

This is called the snake charming effect. The charmer pipes his instrument, the pungi, to get the snake to do the dance. Fangs give me the fright, any day. Now we can talk

I'm compelled to point something out.

The West brands the Asians cheap source of labour. I'm surprised you, with your chinese roots, would call the Africans as such. But then, it's not really a show stopper because this is the very granular framework of Asia's societal fabric - hyper-ancient social divisions and discriminations which take place to this day.

I would think those of us who get to travel around the world would seek to dispel this aura of divisiveness to the outside world.

Africa is not cheap or source of "labour" or devoid of hi-tech workers. The Africans do have their own history and heritage, which was shredded by several centuries of external intervention. Still being shredded. TIA, right?

Let's not kid ourselves with the fancy versions of Asia. China has begun to hold huge hordes of western debt, but so what? Does this matter in the fractured world of today? You manufacture, they buy. They don't buy, you don't sell. The British Empire is not coming back with red dragons.

Asia is the land of immense poverty. People suffer in rice and paddy fields. They live in huts. They earn less than a dollar a day. This is the majority. This is the real deal and the other one's a mere illusion.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:27 PM
miu

I've never said that China was great in all ways. And while there are some things I do like about Chinese culture, there are many aspects that I don't like about it. I like that Chinese people, at least the old school ones like my family and their Chinese friends, tend to be hard working, polite, disciplined and with good morals, and I like that we value academic achievement. Otherwise, China is a huge country with a large population, and having so many people come with many social issues. I do remember a Chinese government official being quoted in the 70's as saying that at that time, while the standard of living was far below the US, at least the average Chinese person was better off than when Mao first took over. Russia has similiar problems with trying to keep so many people functioning with jobs and a decent quality of life over such a large territory.

Basically, I see myself as mainly just an average American who happens to have Chinese parents. Except for being on this message board, most of the time I feel completely colourless and totally accepted by the mostly white people around me. I never feel racially discriminated against, or even discriminated against by sex. I'm 100% American.

As to antique dealers being snake charmers, I only sell to other antique collectors. I am a collector myself, and try to keep a few of the best things for myself. I would never try to sell to someone that isn't going to truly appreciate what I have to sell. Several things I have sold are in important antique collections. But it's like collecting fine art, not everyone is going to enjoy looking at a work by Picasso. Art and antiques don't speak to everyone. Maybe someone like you sees what I have inventory and just sees it as dusty old stuff from an attic. But I love the history and the aesthetics of each and every piece I own. If it doesn't speak to me, I won't buy it, no matter how underpriced it is. There are collectibles like Hummels and Lladro figurines that I can't stand, but many people love to collect them. We just have different tastes in collecting. And I refuse to deal in reproductions.

Otherwise, I do appreciate the fact that as a child, my parents took me to many great art museums. I think that those visits helped tune my eye to appreciate things that are well made and artistically rendered. New things just aren't made as well as most antiques and they have no soul.

Anyway, I am extremely happy and content with what life has given me. I'm not a greedy person. I don't need to have other people looking at me with admiration or treating me as a celebrity, I'm not some narcissistic attention wh*re. Sure, I wouldn't mind having a few million dollars in my bank account, but I really don't need it.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,756 times
Quote:
Some black women are magnificent, some are definitely NOT. Just watch Jerry Springer's shows.

And of course, the same can be said of any race or group of people. Some are magnificent human beings, others are not.
YOu just love to refer to Jerry Springer when it comes to black ppl...why is that?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:52 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Miu can defend her positions all she wants. Her lack of tact and historical perspective - her de facto racism - permeates every one of her posts.

And she complains about white supremacy.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:51 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
You know... when I was shopping Saks Fifth Ave on Michigan Ave in Chicago... I was looking at a really HOT, beautiful, and classy black woman... Yeah... she made me look twice and stare and check out her figure! When black women are as hot as Halle Berry, they a smokin'!

And you all know I'm Asian!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships