Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Surgery isn't all it's cracked up to be. I would love to get a nose job because I simply think it overpowers my face, but I've been through surgical procedures so many times (due to medical issues beyond my control) that to go under the knife voluntarily isn't something I'd like to do.

There will always be someone prettier, smarter and more fun than you. Always. You just have to learn to accept that you're not always going to get attention and move on.
I'm not trying to necessarily hog all the attention but I want to get a respectable amount of attention from men.

Quote:
I have one friend who I HATED going out with because she would get all the attention... I lost a few dates to her over the years, and believe me it sucks when you introduce someone you like to a friend and they immediately ignore you and ask your friend out in front of you. It sucks a lot.

After a few years of it I realized that if guys are going to go after her, they will obviously never be interested in me in the same way so why try and force it? Now, when we go out I help her out and support her, even when she gets all the attention. It's just not worth getting irritated over anymore and hopefully one day you'll get to that point as well
Well, how do you find dates ? Did you eventually meet anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:38 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Well since my current "style" is usually a bit (well A LOT) casual, this is what I'm usually wearing, with a smile and a ponytail. I don't care if I'm complemented or not, but usually someone comments on the different t shirts, lol!

http://s7image.ostkcdn.com/is/image/...0&op_sharpen=1

(or other lazy day athletic pants, I like yoga pants, but they are usually too tight and putting it all "out there" so I don't like them)

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-s...ark-angels.png

(or some other weird geeky, gamer related style shirts)

http://www.acquiremag.com/2012/04/02/nikefree.jpg

(I like lightweight shoes, heavy shoes are clunky to me. These aren't the ones I have mine are dark navy colored neoprene with silver and neon green accents, but I couldn't find them)

Old 04-08-2012, 06:41 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
I'm married but I still get dressed and do my hair (and most of the times my make-up).

I like shopping, like purses (okay love purses) and shoes and clothes and when I get dressed it is to make ME happy. I feel better about myself when I'm put together, I have more energy and I feel more positive about myself.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I'm not trying to necessarily hog all the attention but I want to get a respectable amount of attention from men.

Well, how do you find dates ? Did you eventually meet anybody?
And what do you think is respectable? Personally, if I have one guy even say hello to me when I'm out I consider it a great night. I have really attractive friends and I'm the tall tattooed mechanic that guys generally pass over

I don't really date, and I've finally realized that I may never meet anyone, but I'm pretty okay with it at this point. I have great friends and a wonderful career so I'm pretty happy with my life thus far.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Cosmetic surgery usually improves a person appearance. I know in my case it will. Right now, I can't afford a nosejob (I plan on getting one later on down the line) but I want to get skin lightening injections to lighten my skin tone. From my observation, it seems that lighterskin women don't have to try that hard, they can be very average and get attention easily whearas average brown/dark women like me have to try incredibly hard and its never good enough.
I don't know if surgery is the right decision or not, but the most important part of undergoing any physical transformation: weight loss, cosmetic surgery, or even a big hair change is the mental part.

Changing what you don't like about your appearance is no guarantee you'll feel confident and comfortable in your own skin once you have "improved."

The mental issues of anorexics, people with body dysmorphia, exercise addiction, and people addicted to plastic surgery are the same. They all think if they do this "one more thing" life will be great. And then they keep going and going and it is never good enough.

Work on feeling good now, because when you make these changes you'll feel great. Instead of hoping that after you change you'll finally feel "good enough." It is likely you won't without working on the mental part.

Personally, the idea of changing my skin tone has never even occurred to me at all. My skin tone is part of what makes me, me. I know there are things I can do to make myself be "more attractive" to the opposite sex, but frankly I think I am pretty great now. If they don't see that, that's on them. Not me. What I can focus on is being happy with me, and being happy with myself makes me a lot more attractive to other people.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 PM

541 posts, read 941,367 times
Quote:
would you consider it pointless to dress up if no man ever compliments you or asks you out?

No because a woman shouldnt give a rats ass what the guy thinks of what she wears. If she feels hot and hot.....confidence is evidently seen. Obviously he is on high or she doesnt appear confident like she think she is.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:09 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,912 times
Nyanna, no offense but you seem to be a very insecure person...and that in itself is a turn off, you clearly have issues with self confidence, self belief...forget about a man complimenting you, you need to compliment yourself, love yourself.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Well wait a minute. This is contrary to the claim that I have heard so many times from women when questioned about their style or fashion: "I dress for my self. Not for any man's approval." In other words, whether a man aknowleges them or not, it's all about what other women think or like. A man's opinion is irrevelant. Isnt it?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Well wait a minute. This is contrary to the claim that I have heard so many times from women when questioned about their style or fashion: "I dress for my self. Not for any man's approval." In other words, whether a man aknowleges them or not, it's all about what other women think or like. A man's opinion is irrevelant. Isnt it?
Not to her. One woman's feelings is not representative of an entire gender.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
yeah but how are you supposed to know that you look good if men don't tell you?
Woah! That's a loaded statement. Where on earth would I get my self esteem if it wasn't for my looks and men commenting on them...how sad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships