Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:49 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,060,670 times

Advertisements

How glum.

Divorce makes men - and particularly fathers - significantly richer. When a father separates from the mother of his children, according to new research, his available income increases by around one third. Women, in contrast, suffer severe financial penalties. Regardless of whether she has children, the average woman's income falls by more than a fifth and remains low for many years.

Men become richer after divorce | Life and style | The Observer

Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Men become POORER after divorce, because the low-income woman of so many rich men gets way more than she deserves and steals his money. It's pathetic. The courts totally favor the woman, at the expense of the man who actually worked hard and earned his money. There should be an absolute limit of $1 million for any woman who gets divorced, even if he has $1 billion. It's not like you DESERVE someone else's money for marrying them, how stupid.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:02 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Heard this months back. I think, however, it greatly depends on the divorce. Some men decide to stay married to a sucky relationship because it is cheaper (it'll take years to recover millions paid out in divorce settlements). Think movie stars like pierce brosnan (just look at pics of his wife, yourself and you'll see what I mean). If the marriage is less than a year old then the statistics listed above are more than true. First off, men make more than women and second women marry men who make more money than them.

For successful guys, marriage is a sucker's game. They can afford maids and they can get hot chicks ALWAYS. No woman with a rich guy is going to play any non sense game like, " I am not having sex with you until marriage." Only the poor guys have to play those games.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
How glum.

Divorce makes men - and particularly fathers - significantly richer. When a father separates from the mother of his children, according to new research, his available income increases by around one third. Women, in contrast, suffer severe financial penalties. Regardless of whether she has children, the average woman's income falls by more than a fifth and remains low for many years.

Thats a bunch of malarky!! Maybe in the U.K. but not here in the states. Men get significantly poorer, while the women make out like bandits. That was my only hope for the gay marriage thing to pass. When divorce time comes, it would force the courts to look at things much more correctly than just say okay Man you pay Woman. It would have finally changed the antiquated stupid divorce laws that were written during a time when the man was the only person to earn the income at home. Stupid article, by a stupid writer.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Heard this months back. I think, however, it greatly depends on the divorce. Some men decide to stay married to a sucky relationship because it is cheaper (it'll take years to recover millions paid out in divorce settlements). Think movie stars like pierce brosnan (just look at pics of his wife, yourself and you'll see what I mean). If the marriage is less than a year old then the statistics listed above are more than true. First off, men make more than women and second women marry men who make more money than them.

For successful guys, marriage is a sucker's game. They can afford maids and they can get hot chicks ALWAYS. No woman with a rich guy is going to play any non sense game like, " I am not having sex with you until marriage." Only the poor guys have to play those games.
HAHA, so true! That's exactly right, like Charlie says in Two and a Half Men, "Why do I need to get married? I have a housekeeper, I have the money to eat out, and I can get girls on the side!" Really there's no need to get married unless you're poor.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:33 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I got divorced, and was instantly richer - but only because my ex-husband couldn't live on any kind of budget and he had very expensive hobbies. My credit was a mess by the time we got divorced. I once explained to a credit card representative that marriage was the problem; divorce was the solution!

He took the kids, so I paid him child support. Even when I had to work 1 1/2 jobs, I still paid him. I know he wouldn't have paid me if the situation had been reversed.

I'm not sure why this article says that men get richer. If they have kids, or if they have to pay alimony, they most certainly end up poorer! For example, my brother had to declare bankruptcy after he got divorced.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:41 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
This is BS. I haven't met any men that say they are financially better off after a divorce. They may be happier, but certainly not wealthier. As the saying goes...'its cheaper to keep her'. Divorce and alimony rules in this country really need revisiting.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
How glum.

It's logical that women's incomes drop because most women earn less than men but I'm surprised men's income goes up given the higher wage earner usually pays child support.

Guess that's another nail in the "Men get screwed in divorce" coffin. Apparently, they come out ahead.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
This is BS. I haven't met any men that say they are financially better off after a divorce. They may be happier, but certainly not wealthier. As the saying goes...'its cheaper to keep her'. Divorce and alimony rules in this country really need revisiting.
Depends on what you're counting. Once a divorce is final, 100% of things like the match he may get on a 401K or his pension are his. They're no longer joint assets. It also depends on what type of lifestyle he chooses. I know more than one couple who has a big house because it's what she wanted. An apartment or cheaper house would leave more available income. Also, he may work harder to get through the emotional times caused by a divorce which may lead to better income. My father never had a stable job until my mom left him. My step mother lived a lot better than she did when married to him.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I got divorced, and was instantly richer - but only because my ex-husband couldn't live on any kind of budget and he had very expensive hobbies. My credit was a mess by the time we got divorced. I once explained to a credit card representative that marriage was the problem; divorce was the solution!

He took the kids, so I paid him child support. Even when I had to work 1 1/2 jobs, I still paid him. I know he wouldn't have paid me if the situation had been reversed.

I'm not sure why this article says that men get richer. If they have kids, or if they have to pay alimony, they most certainly end up poorer! For example, my brother had to declare bankruptcy after he got divorced.
I think who has the kids is a big part of it. Usually, the couple agrees she will take the kids so she gets all the expenses of the kids and only what she can collect in child support to offset any of that. Also women often try to keep the house. With a house payment based on his income or both of their incomes. This would lower gross income because of the size of the mortgage. The one who has the kids isn't free to downsize as much as the one who doesn't.

Also, one spouse over spending is a common cause of divorce so the one who is the saver would be, immediately, better off. My husband is the spender in our household. He believes budgets are for people who don't earn enough. When I think of what we should hvae in the bank and look at what we do have in the bank, I want to cry. We, literally, should be set for life. Instead we're wondering if we can ever retire. If I'd divorced him 20 years ago, I'd be in great shape right now even with the bad economy because I only spend what I need to on most things. I have to admit to spending my allowance (less than $80/week) but anything else is thought out. If it were up to me, the house would be paid off by now and we'd have half again what we have in our 401K's.

You know the story about the cobbler's children who have no shoes? Well, my husband has an MBA in finance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships