Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:57 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,650,658 times

Advertisements

Yeah what if someone doesn't have any at all?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,205,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Plenty don't, but the way I figure it, if you know your husband is a loser POS, why add to the burden.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,082,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Why have so many children given the man you married? I don't get it.
I'm sorry? I was just using myself as an example for the impact of what I do around the home. There is nothing wrong with the man I married. We're not getting divorced. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,724,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Then you won't get any child support. Alimony is not frequently given anymore either. If there are no kids, I imagine that both people just split everything and go their separate ways.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,025,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post

We sat down and figured it out once when my kids were little. 4 in daycare would have cost us $5400 a month....the housekeeper would have cost us $500 a month and all that take-out and the restaurant visits would have cost about $700 a month. It was cheaper for me to stay home and do it myself.
That's why I'll be doing part-time...so I can be home before at least one of my kids and therefore we're only paying for after-school care for one child instead of two, and because that way, there will "still be time" for me to CONTINUE with my daily freelance work...after hours (what...3AM? But I'll handle it, obviously). Otherwise, I'd basically be paying to work!

BTW, before this stay-home-and-freelance-and-do-it-all phase, I worked outside the home for 20 years and in fact, before this I made more money than my husband did. (AND took our then-one child to and from daycare AND did all the dishes AND did all the laundry.)

I'm really not atypical, so I'm not tooting my own horn. This is just the standard for wives... "Why do so many more women leave men than vice versa?" WTH...would YOU leave a situation where you "had to" work but all the children's arrangements were taken care of for you, and when you came home you could grab the remote and do d*ck squat because you economically "earned it," meanwhile receiving the spouse's (albeit smaller for the same amount of work) financial income, plus you got the occasional nookie, and meanwhile everyone told you how great you were "for working"? Sh *t, I wouldn't! Personally...*I* need a wife! :grin

I for one am not surprised that men "still" want to get married in this day and age...nor that far more women than men are the ones doing the leaving.

Trust us, all ye whiners. She earned it indeed. She earned it in spades. Unless she was the lazy moron trophy 20-years-younger wife you just had to have and REFUSED to believe she was in it for your money. :rolleyes

Old 07-21-2011, 02:00 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,025,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Then you won't get any child support. Alimony is not frequently given anymore either. If there are no kids, I imagine that both people just split everything and go their separate ways.
Correct. In addition, alimony is often not given until a certain number of years in a marriage, and at that point the alimony usually continues only for those number of years the couple were married; not forever or something.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
OMG. I have had this fantasy SO many times. Luckily for men, society keeps our incomes nice and low, childcare nice and high and difficult to arrange that we pretty much have to stay...at least for a while.

But I have long had the fantasy of having my own little apartment, upstairs somewhere in an old Victorian house, maybe north of here, and just...taking care of myself. Not a billion other people.
We normally agree JerZ, but a lot/some/whatever women need to get control of their lives from the get go. I don't make any less than the men I work with. I'm probably one of the top earners in my college crew. I think I have 40-50k on my husband. Women, in my idealistic world, should stop choosing low paying careers to start. If they get started at all, and if not they should. Scr*w the social worker/elementary school teacher crap. Let the men have those jobs and look to finances, sciences, medical school, etc. That's what really accounts for the wage gap. Professional women do not lose out because they're not taking time off to raise their kids. Non-professionals do that. The very women who earn less to begin with. If men want someone to stay home, then they should stay home.

The real issue, as far as career choice goes among women, is the deep seeded bullsh*t mentality that women simply cannot do it. Despite feminism and modernity, it's permeates women across the globe.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I'm sorry? I was just using myself as an example for the impact of what I do around the home. There is nothing wrong with the man I married. We're not getting divorced. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Oh, sorry! I got the impression that he was seriously lacking on all fronts. Still, I don't think moms should be doing 100% of raising the children and housework. Even if they're SAHMs.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,110,476 times
Default Divorce makes men - and particularly fathers - significantly richer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
How glum.

Divorce makes men - and particularly fathers - significantly richer. When a father separates from the mother of his children, according to new research, his available income increases by around one third. Women, in contrast, suffer severe financial penalties. Regardless of whether she has children, the average woman's income falls by more than a fifth and remains low for many years.

Men become richer after divorce | Life and style | The Observer
Hogwash!!! Sorry to say it, but a divorce doesn't make anyone richer. Somewhere along the line the 'new research' is flawed. Did Rosie O'Donnell do this so called research? The worst part about this, is there are people out there who will actually believe this BS.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,082,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
We normally agree JerZ, but a lot/some/whatever women need to get control of their lives from the get go. I don't make any less than the men I work with. I'm probably one of the top earners in my college crew. I think I have 40-50k on my husband. Women, in my idealistic world, should stop choosing low paying careers to start. If they get started at all, and if not they should. Scr*w the social worker/elementary school teacher crap. Let the men have those jobs and look to finances, sciences, medical school, etc. That's what really accounts for the wage gap. Professional women do not lose out because they're not taking time off to raise their kids. Non-professionals do that. The very women who earn less to begin with. If men want someone to stay home, then they should stay home.

The real issue, as far as career choice goes among women, is the deep seeded bullsh*t mentality that women simply cannot do it. Despite feminism and modernity, it's permeates women across the globe.
I agree with you here to a certain extent. For me, changing our location reduced my pay by $30K a year but it was a better move for his career.

But, we figured while we had young children it wouldn't be that big of a deal because I did have the option of staying home (and took it considering childcare would cost too much).

I don't think I'm going back into teaching. I'm trying to figure out if and how I can get my nursing degree without disrupting everyone elses life in this house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.