Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 10:41 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,242,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I am not disputing the cost of raising a child. I think the misuse of funds is more prevalent than some are willing to acknowledge.
Again, then break down the misallocation of $280.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Just answer the question. Tell me, how long does it take you to wash a bowl, dish, and glass. I could understand if you washed the chinaware with a q-tip.
It takes me 2-2 1/2 hours from beginning to end for just dinner. Those of us who are not heating food in the microwave, cook in pots and pans. We slice up veggies, and thereby dirty knives and cutting boards; broil in the oven, thereby dirtying baking sheets and pots; we mix a salad, thereby dirtying up a bowl for salad and tongs. Plus the dishes, glasses, utensils. Once done with dinner you simply do not rinse out a bowl. You have to clean the table, whipe down the conters, sweep the floor and mop if necessary. You migh talso need to whipe the cabinets and you certainly clean the stove. Clearly, you don't cook.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 07-22-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM

36,792 posts, read 31,078,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

It takes me 2-1/12 hours from beginning to end for just dinner. Those of us who are not heating food in the microwave, cook in pots and pans. We slice up veggies, and thereby dirty knives and cutting boards; broil in the oven, thereby dirtying baking sheets and pots; we mix a salad, thereby dirtying up a bowl for salad and tongs. Plus the dishes, glasses, utensils. Once done with dinner you simply do not rinse out a bowl. You have to clean the table, whipe down the conters, sweep the floor and mop if necessary. You migh talso need to whipe the cabinets and you certainly clean the stove. Clearly, you don't cook.
But Braunwyn thats just a measly 2 1/2 hours for a meal and breakfast dosent take anytime at all and no one eats lunch at home. That leaves you an entire 5 1/2 hours to do nothing. NOTHING. Really, do women think they should even receive an honorable mention or participant ribbon for that when you expect a man to do EVERYTHING for you! Pay for your meals, pull out your chair and entertain you! Geesh.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,295,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Have you ever had a dishwasher? The dishes don't magically go from the table to the dishwasher all by themselves
Yup, I’ve had one while living in the USA and most households nowadays have one in the USA. You take off the chunks of food off the plates, dishes, bowls, etc. and throw them in there. Put some soap in it, push a button, and off you go to do other chores. Dishes are washed and dried in there. Then you come back to put them back in the cabinets.

Quote:
Also - you still have to rinse them off. Yes, a dishwasher saves time - but it still takes time
Takes time IN the machine. You don’t have to break a sweat, the machine does it for you. All you have to do is take off the chunks. You can do it with a sponge and running water in less than 10-15 seconds per chinaware.

Quote:
Furthermore, you seem to think a marriage has to be so equal that you need to make a spreadsheet
Nope. We didn’t make one when we were all living in the same house. Sometimes we wouldn’t even have to tell each other what to do. If I saw my brother or sister washing the dishes then I knew I had to do something else, do my part and not just sit there. It’s not that complicated.

But like I asked before, why are women so vocal and strong here but can’t even approach their husband and children to tell tem to chip in?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM

36,792 posts, read 31,078,970 times
Quote:
But like I asked before, why are women so vocal and strong here but can’t even approach their husband and children to chip in?
They do. Men call it nag nag nag, bytch, bytch, bytch and it goes in one ear and out the other. And yes it does cause breakups and divorce.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
There you go, 2 hours average at times. A breakfast DOES NOT take 2 hours to prepare, a lunch is generally eaten outside the house. Washing the dishes won’t take more than 20 minutes. Besides, you guys even have dishwashers in the USA where you can just throw them in there, push a button, and go do something else.
I would not be surprised if your mom did the cooking for you while growing up and that you're not doing it for yourself now (save boiling water for Mac n cheese). 2 hours is a chunk of time. Of course it doesn't seem like much to a person who doesn't spend it. Breakfast is easier, but it's still an hour. Lunch depends. Figure in the rest of daily household tasks and you know why working couples prefer to have a house keeper.
Quote:
But then again, in the USA, parents seem to be afraid of their children or something to not tell them to contribute to house chores or even discipline them without being sued by them, right? What holds people here to tell their husband and children to contribute? It’s their house too, right?
I'm with you there. My husband contributes, but clearly many women don't have that. My dad helped my mom, but she would often pull cleaning all nighters when I was a kid. Running a home is a lot of work.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
They do. Men call it nag nag nag, bytch, bytch, bytch and it goes in one ear and out the other. And yes it does cause breakups and divorce.
So you married the wrong guy? That is what men are told when they talk about how women don't contribute to dating expenses and how much they demand, which seems normal. What are these guys told? "Stop complaining and don't date" Does this apply to women who complain about their man not cleaning at home too?

Communication worked just fine when my siblings and parents lived in the same house.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,656,101 times
Quote:
Lol!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
But Braunwyn thats just a measly 2 1/2 hours for a meal and breakfast dosent take anytime at all and no one eats lunch at home. That leaves you an entire 5 1/2 hours to do nothing. NOTHING. Really, do women think they should even receive an honorable mention or participant ribbon for that when you expect a man to do EVERYTHING for you! Pay for your meals, pull out your chair and entertain you! Geesh.
Indeed. The bathroom needs to be, or at least should be, Wiped down every day. The beds are made, crap picked up from the floor, the recycling rinsed and put out, laundry washed, folded, and put away. Weekends are reserved for the bigger cleans, yard work, and the budget. And I don't even have kids!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Indeed. The bathroom needs to be, or at least should be, Wiped down every day. The beds are made, crap picked up from the floor, the recycling rinsed and put out, laundry washed, folded, and put away. Weekends are reserved for the bigger cleans, yard work, and the budget. And I don't even have kids!
What is your husband doing while you do all this?

What is the big fear women have to talk to their husband and child and tell them "Ok guys, you do X and you do X while I do X"? You guys sound so vocal and strong in here, does that change when you are at home?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,232,210 times
Quote:
Yup, I’ve had one while living in the USA and most households nowadays have one in the USA. You take off the chunks of food off the plates, dishes, bowls, etc. and throw them in there. Put some soap in it, push a button, and off you go to do other chores. Dishes are washed and dried in there. Then you come back to put them back in the cabinets.

Takes time IN the machine. You don’t have to break a sweat, the machine does it for you. All you have to do is take off the chunks. You can do it with a sponge and running water in less than 10-15 seconds per chinaware.

Nope. We didn’t make one when we were all living in the same house. Sometimes we wouldn’t even have to tell each other what to do. If I saw my brother or sister washing the dishes then I knew I had to do something else, do my part and not just sit there. It’s not that complicated.

But like I asked before, why are women so vocal and strong here but can’t even approach their husband and children to tell tem to chip in?

So - you understand how a dishwasher works. You still don't understand marriage, relationships, and children.

I do ask my husband to pitch in when I feel like he starts treating me like his maid. Then he apologizes and pitches in. I'm not complaining about doing all the housework, cooking, cleaning, etc. My life is not a living hell. I have a wonderful husband. He actually understands what a marriage is!

You are the one that doesn't seem to understand. My husband doesn't belittle what I do. My husband knows how much effort I put into our house and our life. My husband gets it. You are the one that doesn't but I don't think you ever will until you actually experience it for yourself. And that's fine. Sure - you can talk about it until you are blue in the face - but it is obvious to all of us that are actually married that you have no idea what you are talking about. And to be perfectly honest - I don't expect anyone who hasn't had a real relationship to understand what one is. I guess I just don't expect them to write post after post acting like they do - and like they know how to make them work better than all the people that actually have had relationships and are married. I don't tell other parents how to raise their children and what they are doing wrong and what they should be doing. I don't have children yet.

And by the way - I only put some things in the dishwasher - I still wash all of our pots, pans, cooking utensils, etc. by hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships