Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 02:55 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,655,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Yeah I'd probably go on a cruise too.
Would you leave your kid behind while you went on the cruise yourself?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:02 PM

19,779 posts, read 20,368,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Would you leave your kid behind while you went on the cruise yourself?

Oh, I don't have any children. But this cruise sounds like a great idea...

Old 07-21-2011, 03:04 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,655,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Oh, I don't have any children. But this cruise sounds like a great idea...
Yep. I was just making a point that a woman was spending her CS money on a cruise for herself while leaving her child behind. But if you don't have kids then by all means, take a cruise.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 PM

406 posts, read 581,898 times
The link has to do with the United Kingdom, not the United States.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,051,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And IF there were no wife at all, the guy would either be paying through the nose buying gifts for his trophy girlfriend to do at least some of it, or would be paying it 100% himself without the girlfriend, or would be living in absolute sh*t and filth and without sex, BTW...because he works soooooo hard, who's got the energy for cleaning the house afterward? (smacking forehead) Oh yeah...wives who work outside the home and retain the majority of the housework anyway. The UNPAID housework, as the added insult, and as certain members like to drive home like salt into a jagged wound.

Hmmmmm.
I'm a single dad with 3 kids and my life is nothing like what you describe

makes me think you have an ax to grind

Old 07-21-2011, 04:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,113,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
LOL Ohhh, yea, my husband mentioned something like that to me in the beginning. He just got off work and it's his time to relax. No way. He comes home and works. The weekend comes and he works. Period. It's either kosher living or there's going to be a problem. There simply isn't enough time in the day to get all the inside and outside work done, especially with 4 kids. To add, not that 4-5 hours of heavy toil are needed, but an hour or two a night consistently does wonders.

That's good he's being a great dad. But, when exactly is it your time to relax?
Oh I get plenty of that!

They are home for the summer now so it's harder, but I play tennis (okay, not really play, but take lessons), I go out with my friends in the evening maybe once a week/once every other week and I did go away for a night all by myself last week...it was heavenly!

They are all in school so when Sept comes I'll have more time. I volunteer at the schools, do a stint at the animal shelter, clean the house, get dinner going and then whatever time is left is mine. I DO have to learn to say "NO"...last year I took on way too much and left no time for myself.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:05 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,295,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Alimony is tax deductable to the giver and taxable on the receiver. So, if a man pays alimony he gets it as a tax deduction, whereas he wouldn't by staying married, she would have to pay taxes on it as income. SURPRISE!
But a man does not get tax deduction for paying child support, right? Like it has been said, paying taxes or not, it's money you receive, so what? Do you rather be the one paying alimony?

Last edited by onihC; 07-21-2011 at 05:15 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 05:08 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,241,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Oh I get plenty of that!

They are home for the summer now so it's harder, but I play tennis (okay, not really play, but take lessons), I go out with my friends in the evening maybe once a week/once every other week and I did go away for a night all by myself last week...it was heavenly!

They are all in school so when Sept comes I'll have more time. I volunteer at the schools, do a stint at the animal shelter, clean the house, get dinner going and then whatever time is left is mine. I DO have to learn to say "NO"...last year I took on way too much and left no time for myself.
Sounds like you have it pretty good, then.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,295,413 times
Quote:
I'm sure if I got divorced, I'd be instantly neater. The house would instantly smell better, too. Oh, and dishes would instantly make their way to the sink rather than sitting there waiting for flies, crust-over and/or the maid, I mean the wife.
But you wouldn't have a handy man around to fix a leak, take your car to the mechanic, kill that spider you ran away from, set a mousetrap, work on the backyard, work on the garage, move around the furniture, etc. oh, and your personal ATM.

Quote:
Did the typical husband DESERVE having his gross socks washed for him (and every other piece of his laundry that, during marriage to the "at-home" woman, he never had to think about), his dishes washed, his food cooked, HIS careless **** washed off the outside of the bowl, his children brought back and forth to school and to doctor's appointments and their homework overseen and their school and scout projects labored over, her income in addition to all this (frequently...many couples are two-income), his Christmas cards written out for him, his phone conversations with Mom pawned off on the wife, his children carried for him, etc. "for marrying him"?
People forget that while she fixed a few meals and washed a pair of dishes in less than 5 minutes and so on he worked to have that roof over her head, the house furnished, cars paid, phones paid, utilities, her clothes, etc. Divorce law rewards women for a few house chores here and there but makes it seem as if the things I mentioned appeared out of nowhere.

How much does a maid cost compared to what a wife snatches from the exhusband?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:15 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,241,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
People forget that while she fixed a few meals and washed a pair of dishes in less than 5 minutes and so on he worked to have that roof over her head, the house furnished, cars paid, phones paid, utilities, her clothes, etc. Divorce law rewards women for a few house chores here and there but makes it seem as if the things I mentioned appeared out of nowhere.

How much does a maid cost compared to what a wife snatches from the exhusband?
Between housekeeping and childcare? The house keeping would probably be deemed as part time work, but if it's also done on the weekends, along with yard work, it just might go F/T. Out here is mass it's more expensive around $30-50/hr. Child care is around 3/k mo for during the day. So, if that's coupled with nights I guess it would be doubled. That's all dependent on if the man isn't doing anything, which seems to be the case for many. I'd never put up with that.

eta: Anyhow, if the work is done F/T and she owned her own business, I'd guess between $5-7k/mo. This is based on what I hear at work from colleagues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships