Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 05:32 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,295,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
No seriously this one lady was getting $3000 a month in CS and she used it to go on a cruise (which didn't include the child to boot) instead of using it for the essentials to raise the child.
See, this is where I get confused. If men don’t send their paycheck to their ex wife, they get thrown in jail. If the ex wife spends the paycheck on herself, not the children, nothing happens. I totally agree that if men don’t pay they should be sent to the slammers. They have to be responsible, right? But nobody checks on all these women who do what you just described. No wonder marrying a rich man is pretty much a career move for women. A win/win situation to marry a rich man. If things go well, a woman gets to enjoy being with a nice guy and living off his paycheck. If things go sour, she keeps half of what she didn’t even break a sweat for. If she has children with him, she secures part of his riches.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:34 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,655,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
See, this is where I get confused. If men don’t send their paycheck to their ex wife, they get thrown in jail. If the ex wife spends the paycheck on herself, not the children, nothing happens. I totally agree that if men don’t pay they should be sent to the slammers. They have to be responsible, right? But nobody checks on all these women who do what you just described. No wonder marrying a rich man is pretty much a career move for women. A win/win situation to marry a rich man. If things go well, a woman gets to enjoy being with a nice guy and living off his paycheck. If things go sour, she keeps half of what she didn’t even break a sweat for. If she has children with him, she secures part of his riches.
This!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:39 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,241,792 times
Quote:
Not sure if childcare is really THAT expensive

Childcare Prices | Edgemoor Community Center

Besides, it’s not like kids go to child care all their life.
Well, Boston is much more expensive compared to the rest of the country, and the folk I work with tend to put their children in top notch places. Many of them have nannies as well. One colleague has two nannies.

Quote:
As for house work, really, how long does it take to wash a pair of dishes? You want to calculate the time it takes to do your everyday house chores? Remember that not all house chores are done in a daily basis either.
Um, for 6 people? You need to rethink your reasoning here. Having a husband and 4 children must be impossible to keep up with. I have a hard time with just my dh and I and the animals. Kids are messy.

Quote:
Still, people forget how the family got to keep a roof over their heads, cars, furniture, clothing, food, education, some luxuries, etc. Yet, it is the ex wife who gets “rewarded for her contributions to the marriage”, not the husband.
Nobody is forgetting that. Although, people willfully devalue the work done at home, as you did with your few meals vs the 75,000 meals I noted. With that said, I would not be happy at all to have to pay alimony. The more I think of it the stingier it sounds. God willing we will have children and when we do, he'll get a night job and we'll get a part time nanny. Besides, it wouldn't be good for either of our careers to step out for several years. OTOH, a colleague at work just returned to the workforce after 3-5 years. He was a SAHD (with the two nannies and housekeepers!). He didn't have a difficult time getting back in the swing of things, tho, his wife earns ~$300k as an orthodontist to his 90k as a lowly scientist.

eta: btw, I looked at that link for day care. That's ~ what I spend on my dog's day care.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,576,011 times
Divorce laws are really screwed up. Even the good fathers had to suffer while the ho of an ex-wife gets to live off of it.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,790,878 times
Quote:
Probably. Or maybe just some lady who "oopsed" some rich guy.
Therefore, if this woman even exists, it's not a scenario that regular people will encounter. The average child support payment is less than one-tenth that amount. $280 or whatever does not go far. I just shelled out nearly $800 in school fees for next year, and now we've got to get school supplies, clothes, shoes, backpacks and lunch boxes.

Edited: By "I shelled out," I mean that I just wrote all the checks, not that the fees came solely out of my pocket.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:41 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,148,052 times
Quote:

When I went to Old Miss there were chicks there for their MRS Degree.

As in:
"Mrs Dr" or "Mrs Lawyer"

-And more than a couple were pretty up front about it.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
You speak as if it's a norm. The reality is that 99% of you are p*ss poor earners. Why not address reality? I'd like you and cancermoon to tell me how you two think women are spending that $280/mo CS on themselves. C'mon, use your noodles and break it down.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
This!
= irrational.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,113,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You speak as if it's a norm. The reality is that 99% of you are p*ss poor earners. Why not address reality? I'd like you and cancermoon to tell me how you two think women are spending that $280/mo CS on themselves. C'mon, use your noodles and break it down.
Yeah, I'd LOVE to see this itemized.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Therefore, if this woman even exists, it's not a scenario that regular people will encounter.
I would love for all of them to list their occupations and salary ranges. I want to see how many rich guys we have in this thread and on the forum to warrant the concern. Maybe it's a CD anomaly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships