Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,570,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
How glum.

Divorce makes men - and particularly fathers - significantly richer. When a father separates from the mother of his children, according to new research, his available income increases by around one third. Women, in contrast, suffer severe financial penalties. Regardless of whether she has children, the average woman's income falls by more than a fifth and remains low for many years.

Men become richer after divorce | Life and style | The Observer
Probably the case with 1 or 2 kids but if my ss, who has 5, were to divorce, she'd get child support for 5 kids plus alimony and he'd be sleeping in his car.

They should look at women who remarry. I had a neighbor who did quite well collecting child support from her ex husband while she and her current husband worked full time.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,039,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I think, from what I have gathered from this thread, JerZ just went balls-mahoney all over this b*tch.
LOL ((Prince_Frog)) I do have a personal experience with this, and a personal situation with this. And I will never in a million years deny that it is emotional for me. However, I do have stats to back up my claims...I'm not just shouting out any stuff I feel like and telling people it's a fact. Yanno?

By the way, I heart ya, Prince_Frog!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,014,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
LOL ((Prince_Frog)) I do have a personal experience with this, and a personal situation with this. And I will never in a million years deny that it is emotional for me. However, I do have stats to back up my claims...I'm not just shouting out any stuff I feel like and telling people it's a fact. Yanno?

By the way, I heart ya, Prince_Frog!
I don't have any experience with any of this, which is why I made the wise-ass remark! That and when I clicked on the last post of this thread and scrolled up you were giving some people a tongue-lashing!

Aw. It's nice to know that other people have some love for this frog!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:35 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,867,445 times
That article lol, man I needed a good laugh.

I'll admit it scares me a little that internet articles really go out of their way to lie to us like this rubbish.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:37 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,212,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post

Well, not all people put their children in top notch places. So saying childcare costs all this money is a bit far from reality.
I disagree. The reason these places are expensive is because the kids are in educational activities all day. They're teaching the kids, stimulating the kids, etc, exactly what a good stay at home parent should be doing. So, yes, it's right on the mark money wise.

Quote:
An average family does not have 6 people in the house. Also, the children are out by age 18 anyways.
Did you not see me use 18 years? Whether it's 75,000 meals or 40,000 meals you are simply wrong to call it a few, which is 3. But, you have such bias that addressing reality is not an option. Keep in mind that doesn't change the facts.

Quote:
On average, lunch is eaten outside the house and the breakfast can be a bowl of cereal or some scramble eggs. It’s not like the whole family has a big gourmet skillet breakfast like the ones they serve at family restaurants in the USA. Besides, people are on a rush normally to go to work and school so no time for that anyways. So to say “women cook 3 complete meals everyday” is a bit off. Dinner? Maybe and it shouldn’t take hours unless its Thanksgiving or something. You can leave some things to boil while you go back to watch tv, check email, etc.
Every mother I know preps three meals a day plus snacks. Most dinners take more than an hour to prepare in my experience, but I tend to eat healthy. None of this includes time for shopping, getting the kids ready for school, checking homework, etc. That you want to devalue it is irrelevant. Keep in mind that the same could be done for what you do every day.

Quote:
It seems people do forget what men contribute at home, which I already mentioned. It is the wife who gets all the praise, rewards, and protection when it comes to divorce.
Are you kidding? SAHM/D's are not respected for their work. Not by a long shot. To even suggest it is ludicrous. What is valued by family members, extended family, and society is work done outside the home.

Just got a call, I'll finish the post later.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 07-21-2011 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 06:42 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeD Ten-Foured View Post
The data in all these studies uses tax return information to collect the data.
This OP is over TWO and a half years old! And the study was of British couples, no less. Why?? WHY do people drag up these old threads???

Old 07-21-2011, 06:46 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
On average, lunch is eaten outside the house and the breakfast can be a bowl of cereal or some scramble eggs. It’s not like the whole family has a big gourmet skillet breakfast like the ones they serve at family restaurants in the USA. Besides, people are on a rush normally to go to work and school so no time for that anyways. So to say “women cook 3 complete meals everyday” is a bit off. Dinner? Maybe and it shouldn’t take hours unless its Thanksgiving or something. You can leave some things to boil while you go back to watch tv, check email, etc.
Your post shows how little you really know about that which you harp on so much. For 18 years, I made breakfast, lunch (yep...for school too) and dinner. Damn straight I did. Stop running off at the mouth about things which you clearly have no knowledge of.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
It does sound like that. I’m with you. But as a woman, you are less likely to pay alimony so don’t worry and if you do, you’ll be an exception. Do some women pay it? Sure, but we’re still far from saying that women pay alimony as common as men.
If my dh were to be a SAHD for 10 years, and then we divorced, I have no doubt that I would be paying alimony. That's a decision couples make together, tho. I wouldn't, you wouldn't, but clearly a number of people do.

Quote:
That’s how you decided to take care of your dog, go for it. But childcare is not a gazillion expense as many make it sound.
As noted above, the quality of care will be reflected in the price as most things are. It also depends on the parents. There isn't a demanded rubric. I'm sure for some it's based on what folk can afford. For others it's a simple matter of choice. My best friend, for example (she's a teacher), has devoted so much time to teaching her daughter. It really goes above and beyond anything I've seen before. This kid will be attending a Montessori type school; the best in her area and only the brightest are admitted. Her kid is bright and ahead of the game due to her.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Your post shows how little you really know about that which you harp on so much. For 18 years, I made breakfast, lunch (yep...for school too) and dinner. Damn straight I did. Stop running off at the mouth about things which you clearly have no knowledge of.
My mom did the same. One thing we always had in our house was healthy food and home cooked meals. She just house-sat for me and I got to come home to a stocked fridge and pasta fagioli waiting for me.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:32 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,667,650 times
My mother worked full time and ran the majority of household chores with respect to the two of us children. Never she suggested to monetize the effort she put in pursuing the raising of her children. We turned out alright. Gainfully employed tax paying members of society. No drug use or alcoholism, general regard for others, ability to empathize. Yeah, pretty much alright. She didn't get a NICKLE for that "job". SOooooo.... SAHMs have hit their royal head with such indignant banter about the salaried (and the "righteous" remuneration of such, in divorce) equivalent of being a household busy bee. hit. their. heads.

As it became apparent to me growing up in my catholic household, as I came home with my As in math and science, to no Nintendo in the living room, like my friends with their Bs and Cs....you're SUPPOSED to be good. You're supposed to take of your kids, not pawn off some jacked up sense of monetary compensation for what you OPTED to undercarry. You don't wanna work? Fine. But don't be acting like the homeless guy who wipes your windshield without your consent or inquiry, then demand some self-assessed value for an action that you undertook voluntarily. Sounds like a RICCO statute racket to me, this SAHM business: "I'm gonna do it, you don't need it, it's completely extraneous, and Im gonna make you pay through the nose for it too anyways." Reason #424 I ain't ever marrying without a prenup [or a SAHM for that matter].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships