Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:05 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times

Advertisements

Rejection stings. Period. I always appreciate someone being honest whether it's been 2 dates, 2 months, or 20 years. Be glad she told you instead of stringing you along or just falling off the face of the earth. It doesn't really matter if the reasons she gave you are true, shallow, or just an excuse...the point is she doesn't want to see you anymore, and you have to accept that and move on. You'll find someone else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 AM

34 posts, read 130,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
1, a lot can happen in 2 months, time doesn't mean you should not respect someone. 2, if people think this way, (You should be grateful she told you at all instead of just not responding to your calls) and think that kind of dissing is ok, no wonder the dating world is a lot of hurt.
The dating world will always be a lot of hurt because being rejected hurts. Personally I don't really care how someone does it, the outcome is it's over and that's all that matters.Toughen up.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwallis View Post
The dating world will always be a lot of hurt because being rejected hurts. Personally I don't really care how someone does it, the outcome is it's over and that's all that matters.Toughen up.
They can always quit. Rather that than get hurt.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
it sounds like she thought you wanted to improve you current way of living and when you showed no signs of ever wanting to she decided it was time to look for someone else closer to what she was looking for.

just say good bye and good luck and watch her go.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
She at 1st said, it was since I wasnt an avid cyclist and she was. However, I never said no towards that and said I'd be willng to do it anytime, at least casually, with the hopes of doing it seriously, like she did.
48 me, 58 her.
I think if you have an excellent start with someone, that should speak volumes, because it could change one's mind on what is really important in their mind, to find that long term happiness and someone special.
She wants a more active man with the same interests as her. Move on.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:02 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think it would be more important at 50. At this point in ones live you cant afford to lose what assests you have. I think its only smart to realize you need to be with someone with more equal financial stability as yourself.

In reality that initial attraction fades somewhat. We are often blinded to or fooled by behaviors and character in the early stages of a relationship. What might be fun or not important for dating becomes important when your looking at till death do us part. given she has two marriages under her belt she is probably more cautious.
So true. I'm 40 and while retirement isn't in my near future, I need to be making decisions now for when that time comes. In your 50s, you're starting to get closer to retirement age and need to have financial plans for how you're going to provide for yourself for the rest of your life. I think it would be crucial to be with someone who also has their finances in order. At 26 you simply aren't in the time of life to be thinking of those things, but it is real and you will notice it as you age. Different stages of life bring different concerns, all of which are magnified if you're in the dating world versus a marriage/LTR.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:20 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
1, a lot can happen in 2 months, time doesn't mean you should not respect someone. 2, if people think this way, (You should be grateful she told you at all instead of just not responding to your calls) and think that kind of dissing is ok, no wonder the dating world is a lot of hurt.
The problem is that when women give men their reasons for "it's not working out", the guys immediately start addressing each point, and arguing with it. Like you're doing here. Some guys just can't accept "it's not working out" and move on. They have to stay and argue, as if those points are up for discussion, which they're not. So women may invent reasons that can't be argued against, or they may avoid any confrontation at all, as someone posted earlier. They just fade out of your life.

Sorry it didn't work out, but if she felt it wasn't a good match at some point, then wouldn't you prefer she told you, rather than possibly dragging it out over months, when you'd be even more emotionally involved, or worse yet, getting into a marriage that wouldn't have lasted?

Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
All people have their own checklist of what they are looking for and are comfortable with. Obviously even your checklist didn't match up with her's, shallow or not. If you are looking for someone with more soul and character than what you see her as having then it's time for you to move on and find someone who does have those characteristics that you deem as attractive qualities to you.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:45 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I think on some level people in their 50's and above have to be sorta pragmatic about certain things. For her, having "things" is perceived as being stable. I can understand this thinking to a degree. You ain't getting any younger and people have a right to feel the way she does.

I personally think it's shallow, and for me, the older I get, the more those types of things don't matter. I mean, as long as you have the basics and can take care of yourself...... I'm sorta thinking about selling my house when I retire and traveling the country in an RV.... LOL, but that's for another thread.....

IDK, to each their own.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:58 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The problem is that when women give men their reasons for "it's not working out", the guys immediately start addressing each point, and arguing with it. Like you're doing here. Some guys just can't accept "it's not working out" and move on. They have to stay and argue, as if those points are up for discussion, which they're not. So women may invent reasons that can't be argued against, or they may avoid any confrontation at all, as someone posted earlier. They just fade out of your life.

Sorry it didn't work out, but if she felt it wasn't a good match at some point, then wouldn't you prefer she told you, rather than possibly dragging it out over months, when you'd be even more emotionally involved, or worse yet, getting into a marriage that wouldn't have lasted?
You make an excellent point, which might explain why some people break up by text, or just disappear altogether, because the "dumpee" can't accept it gracefully and move on and is trying to fight the inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships