Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 04:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times

Advertisements

We always talk about how people won't change...But if I really think back about myself...I sure have in a lot of ways. Especially with relationships.

So when we have these situations where it is said "They won't change" I have to ask myself :"Well why not? I have. Why won't they or why will they?"

I know most people do keep doing the same thing...But then I think of people who were totally crazy party heads through teens and 20 and in the 40's they own a business, stopped the skanking, stopped with drugs etc....

I know I can't be the only changer! LOL

But what do you think makes a person change or stay stuck in current operations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 04:23 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,929,519 times
we may change our habits, but we're still the same person inside.

it takes about two years to unlearn a habit, but your personality is unlikely to change, it's largely set by your upbringing.

we appear to change in a relationship because we all try " just that little bit harder" in the start, then we gradually relax into our true selves.

i guess we all mess about with sex 'n drugs ' rock 'n roll, but, as we get older, somehow it loses some of it's shine, and other things become dear to us.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:39 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,674,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

But what do you think makes a person change or stay stuck in current operations?
I was a mess, when I met my ex husband. I was young, and already been through alot.
I changed because of him, and for that, I am very thankful!
I changed because he made me believe that I was a much better person on the inside, than what I was showing on the outside. It took me awhile, but I finally believed it!

Old 10-08-2009, 04:41 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
We always talk about how people won't change...But if I really think back about myself...I sure have in a lot of ways.

what do you think makes a person change or stay stuck?
things that can be a catalyst for change are some kind of "hitting bottom" or crisis: divorce, getting arrested, going to jail, serious illness, losing a job, tragic death, car accident, drug problems, alcohol problems, financial problems

because these can be severe enough to cause a person to take a look at how they are living life and thus perhaps try and make some changes.

but unless and until a person is willing to do something like therapy, counseling, a 12-step program for addictive behavior, and actually use the tools they are given, they are not going to change.

the things that keep a person stuck are refusal to seek help, arrogance that they don't need help, misconception they can fix themselves, denial that they have a problem, blaming someone else for their problems

Nothing changes until something changes. That usually means a person being willing to get help.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:47 PM

820 posts, read 2,869,360 times
What prompts change in a person?

Maturity. Happens to most.... thankfully!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:45 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,577,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgirl View Post
What prompts change in a person?

Maturity. Happens to most.... thankfully!
Very true statement!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 PM

105 posts, read 250,327 times
Great post! I agree with this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
things that can be a catalyst for change are some kind of "hitting bottom" or crisis: divorce, getting arrested, going to jail, serious illness, losing a job, tragic death, car accident, drug problems, alcohol problems, financial problems

because these can be severe enough to cause a person to take a look at how they are living life and thus perhaps try and make some changes.

but unless and until a person is willing to do something like therapy, counseling, a 12-step program for addictive behavior, and actually use the tools they are given, they are not going to change.

the things that keep a person stuck are refusal to seek help, arrogance that they don't need help, misconception they can fix themselves, denial that they have a problem, blaming someone else for their problems

Nothing changes until something changes. That usually means a person being willing to get help.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:56 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Kinda makes me want to avoid anyone who has not been through a crisis yet. LOL

That may be one of the many reasons 20something relationships seem to not always pan out for the best....Maturity I guess could happen at any age...But usually you have to put some time in on this mudball to see some real problems.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:54 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,012,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
we may change our habits, but we're still the same person inside.

it takes about two years to unlearn a habit, but your personality is unlikely to change, it's largely set by your upbringing.
Gotta disagree with you on this one. A lot of research shows that it takes about six weeks to break a habit. People are more successful if they replace a bad habit with a good one to fill the vacuum.

I think it's possible for the essence of a person to change as well. Unusual, but possible. And it generally requires some enormous external catalyst. But people can change. I'm not the same person I used to be.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:11 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times
Changing your essence? I've been on both sides of that debate - not sure where I am with it right now.

What I DO think is that change is constant and unavoidable. Perhaps what occurs when someone is "stuck" is not so much that they refuse to change as they refuse to acknowledge that they ARE changed. Their battle isn't with the external situation; it's within themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships