Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:11 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times

Advertisements

Hi, talking about one of the 5 most popular sites for looking for that SO.
I don't see what's so wrong with it, but, sometimes I wonder. Is it too wimpy (I'm male)? I won't bother putting up a picture but I've been told I look like I'm 35 instead of 47, so that should tell you something right there as far as my looks. It's discouraging, to see all that have looked, but almost none that have answered.My description starts below.

Just moved back here (again) after being in either Portland or Vancouver, BC (close to anyway) most of the time since mid 2005. While I lived here for almost 7 years previously, most people that I know here work opposite hours of me (go figure even though I work 830a to 5p) and/or are attached to an SO. So while I'm trying to better my support system, through things like a UU church and trivia nights (which I like a lot), I can still be on POF as well and perhaps mutually bless someone's life.
Just really looking for a friend who is honest and does not B.S. If it leads to anything more, that would be great. If not, well, as long as you have class and don't act like an ass, that's fine too. I know what I wrote in the rest of my profile, which seems to want something serious and I hope to be lucky to find that out of a friendship (if there's an attraction, I'm not in a rush to "score", but just cross my fingers that if it went that far, it will only feel mutually right), however, I don't need a perfect match, just having a new friend to mutually hang with is usually a positive vibe, I will be glad to reciprocate. While I admit I have some baggage (most of the folks who don't have probably never tried anything to improve their life or sistuation), but not anything related to legal issues, drugs or drinking, (technically, who doesn't have at least a little?) and a lot going on at times, I think I have enough to give, at least to keep a nice, sweet gal around as a friend and maybe more down the road.

Honestly, I'm just a well traveled guy who, one could probably say is a, diamond in the rough. I just really believe in the golden rule. It's pretty simple, I would not (at least intentionally) do something to someone if I would feel negative if the same thing was done to me. I honor loyalty, patience and perseverance.
Please, I'm not interested in a committed relationship (if it went that far, but pals first however) with one who lives more than an hour from me (except maybe Bellingham/Vancouver, BC). Also, I prefer women who are HWP, overweight is something that I may be able to work with. Obesity though is not. I am in above average shape (maybe slightly) compared to most men in their mid 40's and would prefer someone that is not very different from the same body type as me, for any chance for romance.

What you see in the pic is pretty much me, I weigh a little less though.
Love this quote and this is so me......or at least I try to live like this.

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh
uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Lastly, I believe your partner, is, in an ideal sistuation, your best friend and the only difference is the sexual part that comes along with it as a bonus.

If you have lived in NYC, Upstate NY or New England, Iowa or Minnesota or Las Vegas, that may give us a geographical common bond.

Be nice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
At your age, online dating should be a bit easier, so long as you are gainfully employed. I am 42, and can clearly see that men have the upper hand once we are all 40+. Are you messaging women outside of your league? To what types of women are you writing? Looks, age? And I would really like to see your picture. I guarantee you don't look 35 if you are 47 years old. If you did, you would be more successful online. Your friends and family are simply flattering you when they say you look much younger.

As for the text of your profile, there is nothing interesting about it. Don't you have any hobbies or activities to mention? There is nothing in your profile that creates a conversation starter.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
To be honest, it just has an overall feeling of ambivalence. That could be considered wimpy. Maybe you wrote it to sound laid back, but it kind of reads like, "I kind of like this, I kind of like that. Maybe we'll get together, maybe not. I don't really mind. Either way. It's up to you."

It just doesn't excite me to get to know you further. It sounds like you've had a hard time dating and this is a last-ditch effort to meet someone.

You are allowed to express who you are and what kinds of things you like to do. Nobody wants to know why you're trying to meet someone. (The stuff about how everyone works opposite hours etc.) Try taking out the self-editing/self-deprecating comments and just keep the good stuff.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 PM

900 posts, read 1,702,622 times
Maybe the ladies are waiting to hear from you. Are you contacting them?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
At your age, online dating should be a bit easier, so long as you are gainfully employed. I am 42, and can clearly see that men have the upper hand once we are all 40+. Are you messaging women outside of your league? To what types of women are you writing? Looks, age? And I would really like to see your picture. I guarantee you don't look 35 if you are 47 years old. If you did, you would be more successful online. Your friends and family are simply flattering you when they say you look much younger.

As for the text of your profile, there is nothing interesting about it. Don't you have any hobbies or activities to mention? There is nothing in your profile that creates a conversation starter.
There's a different section in the profile that addresses hobbies and activities.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,746 times
You bored me within two sentences. I would have looked at your pics, think he looks attractive, clicked on your profile, got bored, and clicked out.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:33 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
There's a different section in the profile that addresses hobbies and activities.
What types of women are you contacting? What is their age range? And you note you want HWP - which is fine in my opinion - but how good do you look? (I can't stress this enough: you don't look 35.) A lot of men your age contact me and claim to be physically fit, when they in fact have large biceps with a large gut to match. Not saying that is the case with you, but I see a lot of delusional people online.

ETA: I googled. It's your profile picture... it's quite terrible. You look "mentally challenged" in it. Really you need all new pics. This will improve things for you greatly.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
as long as you have class and don't act like an ass,
Off-color language is a turn-off for some women. And classy people don't use the word "ass", so you've betrayed yourself.

I know a guy who's 47 and looks 35. This isn't always a good thing. Sometimes that look evidences immaturity and serious emotional issues.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
What types of women are you contacting? What is their age range? And you note you want HWP - which is fine in my opinion - but how good do you look? (I can't stress this enough: you don't look 35.) A lot of men your age contact me and claim to be physically fit, when they in fact have large biceps with a large gut to match. Not saying that is the case with you, but I see a lot of delusional people online.

ETA: I googled. It's your profile picture... it's quite terrible. You look "mentally challenged" in it. Really you need all new pics. This will improve things for you greatly.
If you send me a PM, I may give out a pic. I don't think CDF will allow me to be specific about my user name and the site I'm talking about or send a link to it.
Other people have said I look 35, honestly, so that's why I said it.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 PM

620 posts, read 1,300,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Off-color language is a turn-off for some women. And classy people don't use the word "ass", so you've betrayed yourself.

I know a guy who's 47 and looks 35. This isn't always a good thing. Sometimes that look evidences immaturity and serious emotional issues.
Agree with this. I know that I've mentioned this guy before, but I will never forget the profile of one guy. He registered on the site with an age 10 years younger than what he was; online sites use this number for search purposes. In his profile text, he admits that he was actually 10 years older than the registered age, but since he looked younger and was attracted to women closer to that age, he lied about his birthday so he would pull into their searches. How manipulative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships