Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times

Advertisements

a women who did not want to take your name and who wanted to sign a prenup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Name? No problem. MrsCPG kept her name, at least professionally, for a few years. No big deal.

Prenup? I'm not sure how I feel about signing a legal agreement that assumes we're going to eventually split up.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:01 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
I don’t really see the big deal of not sharing the same last name and it is another tradition I find a bit sexist. Is there really a benefit to it? No big deal for me.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:02 PM

2,472 posts, read 4,214,431 times
Yes and yes.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM

155 posts, read 252,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Depends on the person I am marrying, her background, and exactly how much money we are talking about.

Say for example, I was to marry someone famouse like a Kim Kardashian or Heidi Klum. I wouldnt mind if she keeps her name, and I wouldnt mind if she wanted me to sign a pre-nupt. After all, she built her fortune prior to me and I understand her not wanting me to try to take it.

Now if we are just talking about regular run-of-the-mill every day type folks then I would want her to take my name. Still, the pre-nupt will depend on where we both are financially.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
I would not blame a girl for not wanting to take my last name, it is that crazy and commonly mispelled. I would have no problem signing a pre-nup.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Depends on the situation, the prenup wouldn't bother me but the name change thing might a little bit.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:10 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Prenup? I'm not sure how I feel about signing a legal agreement that assumes we're going to eventually split up.
That’s how I feel about the prenup as well. It’s assuming failure already. Sure, men with money get raped in court when this happens and end up handing the ex half of his hard work (investments, benefits, alimony, properties, etc.) and a prenup might have helped at least a little. But then again you can see prenup as wearing a seatbelt. You don’t wear a seatbelt every morning you drive to work thinking you will go hit the first tree you see. You wear it just in case, for safety, as a precaution and if you never hit a tree or whatever, then how nice. But if you ever do, you’ll be glad you had that seat belt.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:11 PM

178 posts, read 376,244 times
I think taking last names these days is usually for the benefit of kids, so the family unit is identified with one name. In latin american cultures, many kids use the last name of mom and dad, so four names: first, middle, dad last name, mom last name. And despite some believing it's a sexist tradition, many women still want to take on their husbands last name.

The prenup decision should be based on your assets and earning potential prior to the marriage. Talk to any guy whose been through a divorce with lots of assets and you will find that a vast majority would advise you to get a prenup, even if its a deall breaker. IMO and experience, men often end up with a raw deal in property division and child custody arrangments since the courts favor women who don't have the same economic means or who are the presumed better caretakers of the children. Never mind she later marries and you are still left with the same deal. Yeah, another sexist tradition engrained in the law and legal system.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:15 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Sure... why not?? Is the marriage a contract to give up references to a previous life? There are many reasons why women want to keep their maiden name: because a professional carrier is associated with their name, or they like to preserve the family tree or maybe they just don't like the husband's name.

As to prenuptial agreement: women who are wealthy in their own right, having acquired it in their businesses or professions, want to insure that the property is not subject to a division in the event of a divorce. Sometimes they want to protect assets for children and grandchildren, from a previous marriage. Very smart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships