Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 PM

900 posts, read 1,705,510 times

Advertisements

I want to know why he didn't love me. Please tell me if you are male or female and your age.
We were together 1 yr. Then on and off for 2. He was 33 that year , me 36. He gave me all the usual compliments (including he liked how I was with his child) 3 mos. In we did the I love you. He said however , he didn't want to be in love but he did loveme. This upset me , we talked all night , the 1st of many nagging nights. He almost cried when he asked me not to leave him. I didn't.
A month or 2 later , I found out he'd been texting a girl (he had 5-10 females he kept this level of contact with , this did nothing for my insecurities) he'd had a crush on before we got together. She was now single and she offered herself to him. I don't believe anything happened because we were together all the time. They had stopped texting 10 days before I found out. I think she got frustrated he never came to see her.
So we had trust issues. We ended up moving in together (because I nagged him into it , circumstances helped too) but broke up 2 months later. After that on and off 2 years but it was never the same.
He had maybe 7 or 8 girlfriends before me , 2 of the girls had a child with him. No marriages , though he bought a ring and proposed to to one if the mothers. I think he made it a year with each mother , less than a year with everyone else. Oh and we had an excellent sex life.
Me , only 2 relationships- one long , one short and a long marriage to an alcoholic , so yes I have issues.
From his pov , he used to say I over reacted to things. I would agree.
Was I just too needy that he couldn't love me? I want to note , I strictly mean that in an emotional sense. I am financially independent. Or was it him? Why didn't he fall in love with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 PM

38 posts, read 91,106 times
he probably just stayed in it for the sex if he said he wasn't in love with you

Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgerrabit View Post
he probably just stayed in it for the sex if he said he wasn't in love with you
Right , Id agree that was a big part of it , thank you. However , he could have left for this other woman , and he had options besides. Did tell me he loved me every day. Yes , I realize that is different than in love.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,931,546 times
You are ruminating again.

Seriously honey, you've got to stop this, it's just not healthy.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 PM

727 posts, read 1,537,522 times
To quote the greatest band of all time, 38 Special: hold on loosely and don't let go. If you cling tightly you're going to lose control. I would address your insecurity before I'd even consider a relationship. I had major insecurity issues before I addressed them, and it's made a world of difference.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,441,731 times
maddog1, you come off as waaaaaay smarter than this. This is the kind of relationship disaster I usually get wrapped up in. What about this guy doesn't scream "complete narcissist"? He didn't love you because he is totally wrapped up in himself and his own self-important drama. He liked you being needy and insecure and off your game - it confirmed his own image of himself and made him feel powerful.

You are way better off without him. Just try not to carry the emotional baggage into your future dating life - this is way harder than you'd think. Trust me on that:P

Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You are ruminating again.

Seriously honey, you've got to stop this, it's just not healthy.
I know , I just feel I can get past it if I can understand. I know Im going to be ok , great even without him. Thank you.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
maddog1, you come off as waaaaaay smarter than this. This is the kind of relationship disaster I usually get wrapped up in. What about this guy doesn't scream "complete narcissist"? He didn't love you because he is totally wrapped up in himself and his own self-important drama. He liked you being needy and insecure and off your game - it confirmed his own image of himself and made him feel powerful.

You are way better off without him. Just try not to carry the emotional baggage into your future dating life - this is way harder than you'd think. Trust me on that:P
Thank you for the compliment and the insight. I appreciate this forum so much.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,931,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
I know , I just feel I can get past it if I can understand. I know Im going to be ok , great even without him. Thank you.
Like I know I've said to your before, the reality is, you aren't going to get the answers to what you want to know from anyone but him.

And he sounds about as dumb as a box of rocks, so I'm betting even HE doesn't know why he didn't want you in the end.

You keep wanting something senseless to make sense - it never will.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrandall View Post
To quote the greatest band of all time, 38 Special: hold on loosely and don't let go. If you cling tightly you're going to lose control. I would address your insecurity before I'd even consider a relationship. I had major insecurity issues before I addressed them, and it's made a world of difference.
Great song true , too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships