Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date a vegetarian
I would prefer it / I am vegetarian 22 19.82%
I would consider it / I don't really care 60 54.05%
I would not consider it (due to moral/social opposition) 9 8.11%
I would not consider it (due to convenience/economic reasons) 20 18.02%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd ask this here, since there's a pretty good cross section of people in terms of age, economic status, gender, etc.

I started messaging and talking back and forth with a girl I met online about a week ago (she messaged me), and we seemed to get along pretty well. Similar sense of humor and whatnot. We'd had tentative plans about dinner next week, and she invited me over; I agreed. Then, she asks me how I like my chicken prepared.

I answer, "Oh, I'm a vegetarian, actually " note: I clearly state in my profile that I have been a vegetarian for twelve years

Along comes a torrent of mocking, which I can't tell is joking or sincere. No, it's sincere - she then states that she "doesn't want to date a hippie," "thinks tofu is gross," and "now i feel like im the man and your the girl."

I handled it with grace - after all, I really have no desire to be in a relationship with someone so freakin' petty - and inasmuch as I am a man, I don't need to justify my beliefs or opinions to someone who's going to be so overboard on their reaction for any sense of validation.

She finally texted me that she was sorry but couldn't date someone who "didn't eat like her," and I told her that was fine, and wished her the best of luck. She's texted me back a couple times, apologetically trying to elaborate on her comments. I really don't care, stated that I thought it was funny since it's really just a personal choice that I don't push on people, and again I wished her all the best.

I find the whole situation amusing, really... but, it got me thinking: how common is this attitude? I've never really found it a hindrance to dating; if anything, the fact that I'm lean, athletic, and have good skin seems to be a boon. I've never actually dated a girl who was vegetarian from the gate, though I've had a few later decide to try it out themselves after seeing my lifestyle and trying my cooking I've never pushed it on anyone and view it as a personal choice as opposed to being an activist.

So, where do you stand on the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 06:37 PM

943 posts, read 1,845,047 times
I have no problem as long as they are okay with my diet choice.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:38 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Just thought I'd ask this here, since there's a pretty good cross section of people in terms of age, economic status, gender, etc.

I started messaging and talking back and forth with a girl I met online about a week ago (she messaged me), and we seemed to get along pretty well. Similar sense of humor and whatnot. We'd had tentative plans about dinner next week, and she invited me over; I agreed. Then, she asks me how I like my chicken prepared.

I answer, "Oh, I'm a vegetarian, actually " note: I clearly state in my profile that I have been a vegetarian for twelve years

Along comes a torrent of mocking, which I can't tell is joking or sincere. No, it's sincere - she then states that she "doesn't want to date a hippie," "thinks tofu is gross," and "now i feel like im the man and your the girl."

I handled it with grace - after all, I really have no desire to be in a relationship with someone so freakin' petty - and inasmuch as I am a man, I don't need to justify my beliefs or opinions to someone who's going to be so overboard on their reaction for any sense of validation.

She finally texted me that she was sorry but couldn't date someone who "didn't eat like her," and I told her that was fine, and wished her the best of luck. She's texted me back a couple times, apologetically trying to elaborate on her comments. I really don't care, stated that I thought it was funny since it's really just a personal choice that I don't push on people, and again I wished her all the best.

I find the whole situation amusing, really... but, it got me thinking: how common is this attitude? I've never really found it a hindrance to dating; if anything, the fact that I'm lean, athletic, and have good skin seems to be a boon. I've never actually dated a girl who was vegetarian from the gate, though I've had a few later decide to try it out themselves after seeing my lifestyle and trying my cooking I've never pushed it on anyone and view it as a personal choice as opposed to being an activist.

Honestly, I would not. My family on both sides are Southern Country people who are big on bbq's and reunions in the summer. No way I would take a vegetarian, for her AND my sake.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:42 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Honestly, I would not. My family on both sides are Southern Country people who are big on bbq's and reunions in the summer. No way I would take a vegetarian, for her AND my sake.
I can understand that; my dad's from the South, my mom's family is from rural Washington State, and I grew up mostly in the country and on military bases... whenever I go to family events, I end up not hearing the end of it. Most of it is in good fun though, and although it gets a bit old after awhile, none of it is mean-spirited, so I don't really care much.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:

Lame! I wouldn't date a squeamish eater, because I like to try all kinds of stuff. I like to cook too, so I wouldn't want to date someone who picked at what I prepared or made fun of it. I made tofu, faro, and kale for lunch. Who'd want to date someone who goes, "Ew, yuck?" Now, I know some people don't like tofu, but it sounds like this chick had never tried it. And the disparaging comments were just immature and dumb. And they show a lack of imagination, if she doesn't know what to eat that's not meat or tofu.

If you have no problem dating a meat-eater, and it sounds like you don't and that you don't try to convert people, then you're golden.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:47 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:

I was a vegetarian for almost two decades and recently went selectively pesci. That was all of my adult life. I only dated other vegetarians until I met my husband who went pesci. If you're an ethical veg I think it's easier to stick with your own, personally. If it's for health then any intelligent meat eater should understand and value it.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
I think that if I dated a vegan, my family as a whole would probably do a lot of ribbing on her, but my dad and step mom would be OK with it.

There's going to be meat in my fridge. There's room for bean burgers too, but I'm not about to completely embrace that diet.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:52 PM

8 posts, read 8,626 times
I wouldnt mind I would change my diet to theirs. I'm not a big meatlover

Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as he was open to the fact that I eat meat.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:04 PM

349 posts, read 459,881 times
Yes, I would date a vegetarian because I have eaten vegetarian meals/foods. It shouldn't be that big of a deal for meat eaters and non-meat eaters to date. As long as vegetarians don't force it down the throat of meat eaters by saying: " do you know what happens to chicken before it ends up on your plate?" Or the meat eaters don't say "I don't know how you are able to eat soy foods because that stuff tastes discusting", everything should be ok.

I used to work with a girl who is a hardcore vegetarian. She didn't look favorably at those who ate meat and acted like a person is morally wrong for doing so. So yeah, I know what you mean about vegetarian/animal activists.

I know a married couple where one is a vegetarian and the other is not. It is no big deal and they don't put each other down or try to convince the other that their way of eating is the best. They just cook their own meals.

In every relationship someone is going to have their own food preferences whether it is not eating red meat or eating: healthy food, fast food, vegetarian,southern food, spanish food, etc etc.

Last edited by Kaffegal05; 05-12-2012 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: redundant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships