Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date a vegetarian
I would prefer it / I am vegetarian 22 19.82%
I would consider it / I don't really care 60 54.05%
I would not consider it (due to moral/social opposition) 9 8.11%
I would not consider it (due to convenience/economic reasons) 20 18.02%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,171 times

Advertisements

I think what is most important that two people who have differences of this kind be tolerant of each other's preferences. If there's going to be judgment, name calling or snide remarks in an attempt to "recruit" their partner to "the other side" it's probably just best leave that dating prospect alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM

44 posts, read 46,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Why does it have to be a matter of more concern? I am curious. What exactly do you do on a regular basis to help human lives?
Well, none so far. But it just irritates me to read how much money, time, effort these vegans/vegetarians give to animals when there are EQUALLY more starving children that needed their help too.

Also the one that makes me shake my head like Linda Blair in exorcist is when I read some animal lover doofus that is soooooooooooo concern with the animal crossing the road that they rather lose their life by avoiding their beloved animal and hitting a tree or much worse fall off a cliff just so the animal's life is spared but not their own. REALLY?!!

If I'm in the same situation, I will chose my life over an animal's anyday!

Sometimes I wonder what kind of brain they have.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
effort these vegans/vegetarians give to animals when there are EQUALLY more starving children that needed their help too.
Not all vegetarians are animal rights activists--they may not be involved with animal rights at all. Plenty of people don't eat meat because of health or financial or religious or environmental reasons.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:09 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imapro View Post
Well, none so far. But it just irritates me to read how much money, time, effort these vegans/vegetarians give to animals when there are EQUALLY more starving children that needed their help too.

Also the one that makes me shake my head like Linda Blair in exorcist is when I read some animal lover doofus that is soooooooooooo concern with the animal crossing the road that they rather lose their life by avoiding their beloved animal and hitting a tree or much worse fall off a cliff just so the animal's life is spared but not their own. REALLY?!!

If I'm in the same situation, I will chose my life over an animal's anyday!

Sometimes I wonder what kind of brain they have.
Ok, but I find this pov to be confusing. You don't do anything to help human lives on a regular basis, which is quite common since, in the US at least, only 25% of the population volunteers, but you're going to chastise other people who may or may not help human lives on a regular basis? And lets be honest. Humans use and abuse animals. You may or many not care, and which ever is fine, but it's good that at least some people care.

Further, as a former 20 year vegetarian with many veg friends the lot of us have never answered "well, none so far" to that question. I think compassion is compassion. It easily lends from human to animal and vice versa.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:39 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,368 times
I might date a vegan/whatever, but I wouldn't consider a serious relationship with one. I didn't crawl my way to the top of the food chain to eat lettuce.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:23 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Just thought I'd ask this here, since there's a pretty good cross section of people in terms of age, economic status, gender, etc.

I started messaging and talking back and forth with a girl I met online about a week ago (she messaged me), and we seemed to get along pretty well. Similar sense of humor and whatnot. We'd had tentative plans about dinner next week, and she invited me over; I agreed. Then, she asks me how I like my chicken prepared.

I answer, "Oh, I'm a vegetarian, actually " note: I clearly state in my profile that I have been a vegetarian for twelve years

Along comes a torrent of mocking, which I can't tell is joking or sincere. No, it's sincere - she then states that she "doesn't want to date a hippie," "thinks tofu is gross," and "now i feel like im the man and your the girl."

I handled it with grace - after all, I really have no desire to be in a relationship with someone so freakin' petty - and inasmuch as I am a man, I don't need to justify my beliefs or opinions to someone who's going to be so overboard on their reaction for any sense of validation.

She finally texted me that she was sorry but couldn't date someone who "didn't eat like her," and I told her that was fine, and wished her the best of luck. She's texted me back a couple times, apologetically trying to elaborate on her comments. I really don't care, stated that I thought it was funny since it's really just a personal choice that I don't push on people, and again I wished her all the best.

I find the whole situation amusing, really... but, it got me thinking: how common is this attitude? I've never really found it a hindrance to dating; if anything, the fact that I'm lean, athletic, and have good skin seems to be a boon. I've never actually dated a girl who was vegetarian from the gate, though I've had a few later decide to try it out themselves after seeing my lifestyle and trying my cooking I've never pushed it on anyone and view it as a personal choice as opposed to being an activist.

So, where do you stand on the issue?
WOW! She was very immature about it. I wouldn't care if a guy is a vegetarian. I think being a vegetarian is great and wish that I could do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships