Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:36 AM

766 posts, read 1,659,570 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am still trying this whole dating online thing. I got a message from a guy recently and we exchanged #s. He sent me some recent pics of himself. The first pic was okay and then second pic was just awful. I am not all wrapped up in looks, but he's completely just not my type. He looks so different from the pics on the dating site.

I posted candid recent pics of myself and I can say I look like myself in all the pics.

This is the second time, really third this has happened recently. Well the other two times we were still on the computer. I don't want to not respond back that seems silly, but at the same time I don't want to hurt his feeling. If this has ever happened to you, do you just tell them they aren't your type? It would be so much easier if people would keep up recent honest pics.

Last edited by caesarsgirl79; 05-13-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 11:56 AM

819 posts, read 1,130,556 times
What I’ve learned pretending to be a man | Sofiastry

That blog post is beyond accurate...

Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,480,856 times
It's a common problem, OP. Everyone wants to look their best, of course, and there are no enforced requirements about photos on most sites. All too often, women's photos are deliberately misleading when it comes to hiding their weight, so while accurate photos would be great for both men and women, you simply have to learn to interpret and sometimes take a chance on meeting. Some people really do look better in person, and sometimes modest flaws are more than compensated for by a great personality.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Unless I planned on never meeting someone I would be too scared to post an inaccurate or misleading photo. I guess someone just don't care, but that's just silly. I understand posting a good pic, b/c it wouldn't make sense do do otherwise. I just think it should still look like you. Some people I notice look like completely different people in every pic.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:22 PM

620 posts, read 1,301,515 times
And those people most likely have accumulated pics of other people who they *think* look alike. There are many people who post pictures of celebrities, friends/relatives, or random images for their profile pics. Some do it knowing that they will never meet someone off the site, and others do it because they truly believe that they will have such a winning personality that the other person will overcome their shallowness. But, they fail to realize that a deception at this stage of the game usually means more deception to come.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
And those people most likely have accumulated pics of other people who they *think* look alike. There are many people who post pictures of celebrities, friends/relatives, or random images for their profile pics. Some do it knowing that they will never meet someone off the site, and others do it because they truly believe that they will have such a winning personality that the other person will overcome their shallowness. But, they fail to realize that a deception at this stage of the game usually means more deception to come.
Exactly!!

There was this guy who was a model on the t.v. show, The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency and I saw someone with him posted as their pic. Most people probably wouldn't know who he is, but I remembered him from watching the show...

Just ridiculous!!

Old 05-13-2012, 01:15 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,115,057 times
I'd say you're pretty shallow. Even celebs have bad pics. Go google 'celebs without makeup.

Every single woman I have dated has several bad pics floating around. And every woman I have dated has had days where I see them and think, "God, they're hot. I'm so damn lucky" and other days where it's "She don't look so great." But ... it didn't matter 'cuz that ain't why I was dating 'em.

We're human beings, not wax statues. We're going to look bad some of the time. Imagine him on the other end, dealing with a person who was initially attracted his one pic and then all of a sudden from another pic saying, "Ugh. Not my type."

If I were him, I would have no further interest in you on that alone.

That said ... my advice to you is "Get the best you can get". It's what everybody else is doing anyway. If you can do better, by all means, on to the next dating profile.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:00 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,156,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Lol, this is one of the reasons why I would probably never do online dating.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:19 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,176,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
Hi,

I am still trying this whole dating online thing. I got a message from a guy recently and we exchanged #s. He sent me some recent pics of himself. The first pic was okay and then second pic was just awful. I am not all wrapped up in looks, but he's completely just not my type. He looks so different from the pics on the dating site.

I posted candid recent pics of myself and I can say I look like myself in all the pics.

This is the second time, really third this has happened recently. Well the other two times we were still on the computer. I don't want to not respond back that seems silly, but at the same time I don't want to hurt his feeling. If this has ever happened to you, do you just tell them they aren't your type? It would be so much easier if people would keep up recent honest pics.
lmao! I hate that! And yes I can relate, this has happened to me as well.I am very honest and tell them, maybe next time they will be honest!

Old 05-13-2012, 02:32 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,629,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
Hi,
That really sucks. Did he look older or fatter in the recent pics he sent than he did in his profile pics or was it something else? Sometimes when a guy only has one pic posted on his profile or they're just low quality pics and I can't really tell what he looks like, I'll ask for additional pics. If I don't like them, I just don't respond anymore. I think that's better than saying, "Sorry, on closer inspection it turns out that I'm actually not attracted to you, but best of luck."

Yes, anyone can take the occasional bad pic, but if someone has simply posted misleading photos and they just don't look like that at all, then that's their fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships