Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:03 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,965,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
So true. Meeting women in person is so much easier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 PM

766 posts, read 1,659,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
Oooh, I hate this too!! That's the crappy thing about online dating...an average/not great looking guy would have a shot with me out in real life if we met and hit it off. But when I see unattractive pictures of a guy, it just doesn't make me want to go out of my way to meet the guy. I know it's shallow, and I'm sure guys do it to me too, but I generally have to feel really, really good about a guy before I go meet him sooo if he doesn't have many photos, or he has one decent one and the others are crummy, I'm less likely go take the risk...
I don't see it as shallow. I don't people can help what they like, but I understand what you are saying. I have dated guys that weren't the cutest, but had great personalities. Even online I have given guys a shot that I wasn't initially the most attracted too, but at the same time some looks you just don't like.

I remember in high school a guy i liked completely wasn't interested or attracted to me. I was so hurt. As I got older I realized everyone just don't like everyone period. What's funny he tried to holler at me on FB a couple months ago, saying how great I look now. Which I look the same just older and 20 pounds heavier.*sigh*

Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I wouldn't be exchanging numbers w/ anyone that I haven't already exchanged pics w/. I think emailing and or messaging should be the thing to do for a couple weeks, then pics....phone calls are way to personal until you have a sense of the person. imo
I didn't really see the need to exchange pictures when he had several on the dating site. I didn't realize they were so dated. My pics are current, but I have had guys ask me to send them more pics.

I have to disagree. I messed up before I think waiting to long before meeting. I don't want to talk online for weeks. Last time I got too into the person and then met them and it wasn't good. I posted right after the date on here and the advise was pretty much to not wait so long and I have to agree.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
A bit harsh on her. Because to me, he should have put up pics that ACCURATELY represent what he looks like NOW. He is being deceptive by not doing that, so he should have nothing to say about her current reaction.

We all have the right to like what we like. Im assuming he is emailing her because he likes her picture. If he didnt, he too would be saying 'Ugh..not my type'. Believe that.

Oh well. Maybe next time he will put up accurate pics.
Thank you...I agree it is deceptive and there's nothing okay about that.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:12 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,822,700 times
I don't think it's shallow either and there's a safety issue here. I don't know about you guys but when I was OL dating, I would leave a copy of the picture and profile and website with a friend so if anything happened and I disappeared, there would at least be a starting point for a search. Imagine how silly you'd look if you left a profile like that with a friend and she got a bunch of pix of some guy that don't even look like the same person. I know what I would say to my friend: "Are you crazy?"

Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Why?

Is he a woman now? Then, I can understand why he's not her type.

It's not like he gained 100 pounds. She would have said that. He's just not as good looking as she first thought. That's all.

To me, it's shallow. I realize I'm a rare bird though.
Not true, he wasn't that great looking in the first place. If I could I would post the 4 pics, but of course I would never do that.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I don't think it's shallow either and there's a safety issue here. I don't know about you guys but when I was OL dating, I would leave a copy of the picture and profile and website with a friend so if anything happened and I disappeared, there would at least be a starting point for a search. Imagine how silly you'd look if you left a profile like that with a friend and she got a bunch of pix of some guy that don't even look like the same person. I know what I would say to my friend: "Are you crazy?"
I think that's smart. I also sent pics to a friend. Before the date I also sent the first and last name, restaurant, phone #. That may have been a little overboard, lol...

Old 05-13-2012, 10:20 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,822,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
I think that's smart. I also sent pics to a friend. Before the date I also sent the first and last name, restaurant, phone #. That may have been a little overboard, lol...
No, I don't think so and I'm not particularly paranoid.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,965,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

That's why facebook is so important for these situations. Now you can add them, see their pictures and their friends. It gives you a much better sense if they are real or not.

I consider every girl that doesn't have a facebook a scammer or there is something wrong with her.

Although, I remember meeting a girl online once through a non-dating site who was a very nice girl. She didn't have a facebook and I always felt something was wrong about her. I still kind of regret not meeting her but I think there was something wrong.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's why facebook is so important for these situations. Now you can add them, see their pictures and their friends. It gives you a much better sense if they are real or not.

I consider every girl that doesn't have a facebook a scammer or there is something wrong with her.

Although, I remember meeting a girl online once through a non-dating site who was a very nice girl. She didn't have a facebook and I always felt something was wrong about her. I still kind of regret not meeting her but I think there was something wrong.
I kind of agree because I have checked out guys FB pages, but with online dating I don't want them checking out my FB page. They would know where I work, my apartment complex, the names of my family and friends. I just don't like someone I don't know having all that info.

I had a guy ask me if he could check out my FB and I just said I didn't feel comfortable at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships