Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:09 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times

Advertisements

Did mean that figuratively.
Let me rephrase:
When you least expect it. (These are my beliefs & .02.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 PM

61 posts, read 283,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
How do you "find" that?
It can be found on a double blind date (doing a friend a favor) at the age of 28, when you are happily (or unhappily?) single. It can happen in a flash - so fast that 3 months later you are married, moving 3500 miles away from your very well established life to the unknown of an angry city (Miami) and inlaws that don't speak the language. It can be - and is, the hardest, and best thing that I've ever encountered in my life... And it is something that requires work everyday to make even better.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:03 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
I don't think a couple should emulate anyone's marriage; I believe that the couple should create their own "happy place".

Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
be the "right" person..... most people are looking and very few are getting "right".

Old 09-21-2007, 12:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
{disclaimer-I am in no way bashing men...we all know there are happy, good, hard working men out there....so the following post in no way addresses "all" men.}

My thread is inspired by the recent discussions of women who have men not contributing to their relationships emotionally and financially. Are the days sort of clicking by...all the same? Are your men not making the most of this short life?

In my forty-five years, I only know four great marriages. What all four have in common is that the couples have set goals, adhere to them, and don't let any outside influences block their way to achieving them.

1. My parents. My parent's love and goals are anchored hard-work and sweat, followed by immense satisfaction/appreciation in their hard work. Together they turned a neglected homestead into a perfect home & hobby farm. They worked everyday, side by side. My dad was a police officer and my mother was a stay at home wife and mother. They were a team to be reckoned with and they didn't let anyone or any drama stand in their way. Later they did the same thing with an abandoned hunting cabin; turned it into a beautiful retirement home. I'm not talking about a lot of money here. Again, they had goals and they stuck to them. They had foresight into the future and key-stoned all their goals back from their goaled outcome.

2. My best-friend's brother and his wife. Parents of four young children. Again, hard working man and stay at home wife and mother. This man would move mountains for his family, as hard working as he is, he is the most hands on father I have every seen. He and his wife are calm and sweat absolutely nothing. Again. Not rich; they see the resources in each other. Like my parents, they too built their home from the ground up and only as they could afford it.

3. My best-friend and her man. Talk about joy. They mix it up everyday. Nothing sets them back emotionally. Again, we are not talking about rich people. They take what they have and absolutely make the best of it. They turn coal into diamonds everyday in their emotional investment in each other. This couple acts like they are the last two people on the planet and I get pleasure in witnessing them, hearing about their love, right down to a little antidote one gifts the other.

4. My elderly landlord and his wife. You can tell a lot about a man by the woman who loves him. I truly believe their love is a fountain of youth. They are in their 90's, early risers, they still cut their own grass. Again, 70 years of beautiful marriage with the same goal and daily work that they can admire at the end of each day, together.

Do you see a pattern here?
fidelity and vigilance (persistance)
did i get it?
i got all that and it gets rewarded big time, but there is just one of me.
sometimes god does not do it in pairs?
stephen s
san diego ca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships