Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:06 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
why can't people get it through their thick heads that marriage is a SYMBOL of commitment to a person. No, nothing is different from living together. No, it doesn't guarantee you'll be together forever. It does however tell the other person that you are COMMITTED to them to such a degree that you are willing to 1.) spend a nice chunk of change on a beautiful piece of jewelry TO SYMBOLIZE THIS, 2.) get up in front of everyone you know and announce it, 3.) do all this knowing full well that if you want out, it will be a big mess.

"it's just a piece of paper" = nonsense!!
Because to some people love and commitment is enough of a symbol. It's what you know you feel, not what everyone else sees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 09:10 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Just so you know, "playing house" involves things like appointing health care proxies, setting up a will, sharing finances, etc. It's not just having sex.
Again, who said that?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Very simple, how long would you Be in a relationship with a man before you start to get anxious of him not proposing(married women can chime in also)

Does it matter? Would you stay with a man for 10+ years and be ok just essentially "Playing house"?

I ask because I've seen this scenario a lot of times where the women is in a happy relationship for years then start to get nervous that he'll never propose, often giving him an ultimatum

It happened to a friend of mine who ended up proposing to his GF at 26(wasn't really ready, But he didn't really want to lose her so he bit the bullet)
2 years, tops.

And no shacking up.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
There a difference between getting married and WANTING to be married

I honestly don't believe the majority of men(especially today) WANT to get married, or have an urge to get married, especially like most women

Are there guys who want to get married, of course, but I don't think as much as women.

Here's the thing, if u asked most men would you be cool with one of these scenarios
A. Playing the field with different women forever
B. Being with one woman long term, but not officially married

Most guys would take one of those, but they just can't live that lifestyle for a multitude of reasons. So they kindoff settle for marriage
On the other hand, most women don't want to play the field forever(even though they can much easier) or want be just the girlfriend forever, I think that's the difference IMO.
So what you are saying is men are weak and feeble minded. That men will not only marry even though they don’t want to be married, but they will propose, buy a ring and suffer thru the ceremony just to get what they are already getting.

Last edited by 2mares; 05-17-2012 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 09:39 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I got married at 24. Divorced at 26...I'm 28 now and I'd like to get married again. Mostly because I want to have kids and I'd like to be married when I have kids (just call me old fashioned ).

I'd wait awhile, but not years and years.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I'm seeing a lot of posts from women who have already been married before. What about women in their 20's who have never been married. Would they still be willing to play house?

That's the main group I want answers from

Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
What is "playing house", exactly?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:53 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Lol thanks for the response, but to clarify...

You wouldn't settle down long term with that man in particular unless you got your ring?

Is that right? Because the ring is important to you
Yes I would. We were already settled down. I told him we didn't need to get married, but I wanted a ring...a big sparkly one at that!

He's the one that insisted on the wedding. Only he can be blamed for unleashing the monster.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
When I was in my 20's - I was engaged 2 times officially and one time kinda sorta. The first guy and I were high school sweethearts and we were supposed to get married a year after I graduated from college. We would have been together for a little over 5 years at that point in time but we broke up right around that time. The next guy and I were together for about 3 1/2 years and we got engaged after we had been together for 3 years. I probably would have liked it to be sooner but he was scared. In the end - we just weren't right for each other. My husband and I got engaged after being together for a little over 2 years. We started dating when I was 25. I told him that I wasn't in a hurry or anything - but if I was 30 and still not engaged or married - I wouldn't be happy. It didn't have anything to do with being 30 per se, but the fact that we would have been together for 5 years. I wanted a marriage. I've always made that clear with everyone that I've been with. My first boyfriend and I were on the same page - we just weren't right for each other. My ex-fiance, I think, had a fear of marriage and I doubt he'll ever get married. He's been with someone for awhile now but I think they are happy just being together with out a marriage or children. My husband made it very clear to me that marriage and children were very important to him. For that reason - if we had been together for over 5 years and we still weren't married - I would have felt that he just didn't want to marry ME. But he was eager to get married, too (once he met me ) so we were married a little over 3 years after we started dating.

I think the answer to this question depends so much on age and also just the person in question. I have friends that were with their husbands for 10 years before they got married. I have friends that were with their husbands for less than a year before they got engaged. I have friends that never plan on marrying their partners. For me - I can't imagine being with someone for 4 or 5 years with out getting engaged or married - but that's just me and how I wanted to live my life.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Another thing to clairfy,There's a difference between living with a man, for awhile until you get married, and living with a man and NEVER getting married.

Are you cool with being his Girlfriend forever?
I personally know a couple like this which is why I'd be extremely hesitant to live with a man before marriage. They've been together for over 30 years and he never married her and she's always resented him for it, but she's been with him for so long that she doesn't want to start all over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships