Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I agree completely. I could be the richest, most successful woman in the world and it wouldn't mean squat to me with out my family (that's including my dog!).

Btw, when you get with someone while you are still working and struggling, then you know they aren't with you for the money.

Good luck ever knowing that for real AFTER you start pulling in the big bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
Well it sounds from what you have posted that marriage and family aren't for you. Why care what others do though, or assume that it can't be deeply satisfying for someone else.
Y'all are assuming my choice can't be satisfying for me, I'm just returning the favor.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:07 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
You can't travel on the road with kids?

But if the desire to play video games at all times is what you desire above all else...I'd agree that the single life is what is for you.

You wouldn't want to pesky little one calling out "Daddy, can we go to the park today" while you are hunkered down with video games.
Dissenter is in his early 20s, right? Don't most men that age want to play video games? You act as if he already a father and he's neglecting the child. If this is his idea of fun, so what? He's single and can do what he likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Do you think you will still consider this the epitome of fun when you are in your 40's? 50's? 60's? Just wondering.
Why would he? Again, he's young.

I don't get some of the responses in this thread. I agree that Dissenter has issues, but at least he realizes that having a family is not for him. Much better than people who make someone else suffer due to their own lack of self-awareness.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Dissenter is in his early 20s, right? Don't most men that age want to play video games? You act as if he already a father and he's neglecting the child. If this is his idea of fun, so what? He's single and can do what he likes.
I know it's been 15 years, but most of my male friends didn't really do the whole 'play video games all day' thing once they were out of their teens.

But every decade that goes by, we see childhood extended farther and farther into the 20s.

I do agree that it's good he already knows what he is like and that he would make a crappy parent/partner.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Y'all are assuming my choice can't be satisfying for me, I'm just returning the favor.
Actually, after reading your posts I'm not assuming anything at all. I guess there is some frustration after reading the OP and some of following posts that marriage and family should be considered such a drag.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 AM

652 posts, read 1,052,860 times
Quote:

I don't get some of the responses in this thread. I agree that Dissenter has issues, but at least he realizes that having a family is not for him. Much better than people who make someone else suffer due to their own lack of self-awareness.
Mocha, yeah I clearly get what dissenter wants out of life, and wouldn't want him to at all pursue something he saw as confining. I guess I don't get the contempt though for people who make other choices, or the implication that marriage and family life can't be fun.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know it's been 15 years, but most of my male friends didn't really do the whole 'play video games all day' thing once they were out of their teens.

But every decade that goes by, we see childhood extended farther and farther into the 20s.
I do agree that it's good he already knows what he is like and that he would make a crappy parent/partner.
And this is a problem because?

Look if I ain't out there making babies or misleading girls into thinking I want a marriage or stuff, what is so bad about partying it up and living for me in my 20s?

I didn't get the full college party experience as a commuter student who worked a lot. Now is my chance to have that experience without family responsibilities getting in the way. I'm not hurting anyone else with it? Again what's the matter?

Quote:
Thank you! I'm aware my thinking is out there but I'm at least decent enough to not want to ruin someone else's life because I'm expected to get married and have a family.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
And this is a problem because?

Look if I ain't out there making babies or misleading girls into thinking I want a marriage or stuff, what is so bad about partying it up and living for me in my 20s?

I didn't get the full college party experience as a commuter student who worked a lot. Now is my chance to have that experience without family responsibilities getting in the way. I'm not hurting anyone else with it? Again what's the matter?

Thank you! I'm aware my thinking is out there but I'm at least decent enough to not want to ruin someone else's life because I'm expected to get married and have a family.
It's only a problem if you find yourself angry later about why your life hasn't turned out the way you wanted it to.

Some of us used our 20s to build something. Starting early gives you a head start.
Some people use it as a mini vacation after a long time of schooling. But then don't complain when you're not as far ahead in your career or in life when you hit your 30s and 40s.

Btw, most of us 'successful' folks didn't party in college, either. So don't go thinking you were the only one who worked hard just because you were a commuter who worked.

This whole "I deserve a break' mentality is not the path to riches. Just an FYI is all.

And I do commend you for not getting into relationships when you know you are not ready for it and really have nothing to offer.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:

Who is telling him that he should have a family? Who is telling him to get married? Most people seem to be telling him that he needs therapy and that he is not marriage/father material.

I merely asked if he thought that his idea of fun right now was going to be the same forever. He implied that he couldn't get married or have a family because they would interfere with his fun - by which he said was playing video games, drinking, and staying out until 4am. I can't imagine that those things would still be fun in 20 years so I asked him about it.

Once again - this thread is about why some successful men marry young. We are answering the question as to why some successful men marry young. What don't you get about the responses here?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:23 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's only a problem if you find yourself angry later about why your life hasn't turned out the way you wanted it to.

Some of us used our 20s to build something. Starting early gives you a head start.
Some people use it as a mini vacation after a long time of schooling. But then don't complain when you're not as far ahead in your career or in life when you hit your 30s and 40s.

Btw, most of us 'successful' folks didn't party in college, either. So don't go thinking you were the only one who worked hard just because you were a commuter who worked.

This whole "I deserve a break' mentality is not the path to riches. Just an FYI is all.

And I do commend you for not getting into relationships when you know you are not ready for it and really have nothing to offer.
You can use your 20ies to replace that time, just need to find the correct balance.

You can also use it to be extremely successful. I did.

I can honestly say now that after my twenties, I don't think having a family is for me. I like kids, but just not enough to have one or deal with everything that goes with it. There are already so many people in this world and we are overcrowded as is. With the economic realities we are facing and the potential future, I fully expect to see an event resulting in population decline. Why subject a child to that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships