Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times

Advertisements

Yes, because we all know we cant live without reciprocal love. How can we all not want the same thing. There sure must be something wrong with those that dont. Maybe they are gay or have aids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yeah... We are just going to have to agree to disagree on that. I still don't see how a video game is capable of loving you back since a video game isn't capable of emotions. But if you think otherwise - that's fine with me.
Yes, I think its best that we agree to disagree. Because not only can one find love through video games or any other hobby that one is passionate about, they may even be more passionate about that than they are in any relationship theyve had. Extensively, I dont see how someone is capable of loving a cheating wife or husband, but somehow even the best of them find love in unconventional relationships.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:16 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Yes, I think its best that we agree to disagree. Because not only can one find love in video games or any hobby that one is passionate about, it may be they may even be more passionate about that than they are in any relationship theyve had. I dont see how someone is capable of loving a cheating wife or husband, but somehow even the best of them find love in unconventional relationships.
The confusion is over your use of the word "reciprocal". Reciprocal means mutual, i.e. I like you and you like me back. How does a hobby like you back?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Yes, I think its best that we agree to disagree. Because not only can one find love in video games or any hobby that one is passionate about, it may be they may even be more passionate about that than they are in any relationship theyve had. I dont see how someone is capable of loving a cheating wife or husband, but somehow even the best of them find love in unconventional relationships.
I'm not saying that you can't be passionate about a video game or a hobby - I'm saying that the video game or hobby can't love you back - hence it cannot be reciprocal love. I love reading and traveling and singing - but my books, songs, and trips do not love me back. That doesn't mean that I don't get great enjoyment from them. Singing is my passion and I love it - not as much as I love my family - but it means a great deal to me. Singing, however, does not love me back. It is not capable of human emotions.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The confusion is over your use of the word "reciprocal". Reciprocal means mutual, eg. I like you and you like me back. How does a hobby like you back?
If it relaxes me, or gets my mind off of for a few hours, that is enough like and love for me.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Yes, because we all know we cant live without reciprocal love. How can we all not want the same thing. There sure must be something wrong with those that dont. Maybe they are gay or have aids?
I'm not saying that you can't live with out reciprocal love - I'm saying that you can't find reciprocal love with a video game.

For me - I could not live with out reciprocal love. I get this from my mom, my husband, my son, my dog, my friends, my family, etc. I am a loving person and I need love in return. Not everyone is like me. But I know myself and I know my path to happiness. I'm not friends with anyone in real life that doesn't need or want reciprocal love - I don't think I attract those kind of people - but Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory comes to mind. I'm sure there are people in real life similar to him. He seems perfectly happy by himself.

I've never said or thought that we all want the same thing. Ever.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
You make a good point. I noticed, many people have a hard time wrapping their minds around this reality: There are people out their who just dont need love. Society has elevated love and sex to some paradigmatic status that everyone is supposed to pursue, regardless of their desire for it, when in reality, not everyone needs to be cajoled and prodded into career success by their spouse, or validated, or loved, or to have sex with anyone, or to be emotionally supported by anyone. They just dont.

Its fine to have and need all those things, but not everyone needs them. There are people who come in from a hard days work, who dont have a pity party about the fact that no one has cooked them dinner, or who dont have a pity party about the fact that that no one is throwing confetti and streamers when they say "honey Im home"...they are perfectly fine without those accoutrements. And they may not even desire them at all. They may have enough drive and initiative that they dont need to be prodded until they become successful in life.

And I will repeat, there is nothing wrong with needing or wanting all of those things. Those things are lovely for some people, but for others, they are just unnecessary and undesirable.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I'm not saying that you can't be passionate about a video game or a hobby - I'm saying that the video game or hobby can't love you back - hence it cannot be reciprocal love. I love reading and traveling and singing - but my books, songs, and trips do not love me back. That doesn't mean that I don't get great enjoyment from them. Singing is my passion and I love it - not as much as I love my family - but it means a great deal to me. Singing, however, does not love me back. It is not capable of human emotions.
Of course it can love you back. Thats why I said: its all in how you view your relationships. If one doesnt think his/her passion delivers any kind of love to them, then they are with a passion that isnt completely fulfilling.

As you said earlier though, we have differing meanings of love, so Ill agree to disagree on this point.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If it relaxes me, or gets my mind of for a few hours, that is enough like and love for me.
That's how I feel about singing or reading. There were times in high school where I would just sit at the piano and play and sing for hours to cheer myself up.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
You make a good point. I noticed, many people have a hard time wrapping their minds around this reality: There are people out their who just dont need love. Society has elevated love and sex to some paradigmatic status that everyone is supposed to pursue, regardless of their desire for it, when in reality, not everyone needs to be cajoled and prodded into career success by their spouse, or validated, or loved, or to have sex with anyone, or to be emotionally supported by anyone. They just dont.

Its fine to have and need all those things, but not everyone needs them. There are people who come in from a hard days work, who dont have a pity party about the fact that no one has cooked them dinner, or who dont have a pity party about the fact that that no one is throwing confetti and streamers when they say "honey Im home"...they are perfectly fine without those accoutrements. And they may not even desire them at all. They may have enough drive and initiative that they dont need to be prodded until they become successful in life.

And I will repeat, there is nothing wrong with needing or wanting all of those things. Those things are lovely for some people, but for others, they are just unnecessary and undesirable.
Do you believe it is possible for a person to support his/her partner without it being "prodding" or "cajoling" and that this extra support can contribute towards success in areas? Do you believe that people may be very independent with a high level of drive and initiative and still greatly benefit from the support of a partner?

While I understand/respect your perspective as I have had similar sentiments before meeting my SO, I think people also sometimes underestimate the great power of 2 people ("the power couple") happily striving towards the the same success goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships