Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 02:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe this is why you're still single. Marriage is primarily an affair of the heart, not a business exercise in risk-management.
And your heart can mislead you which is why your brain should be in on the action too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 02:13 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
And your heart can mislead you which is why your brain should be in on the action too.
I totally agree.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:22 PM

344 posts, read 396,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am 35, single, no kids and I am really enjoying my life right now, I would say, 90% of my childhood friends are married and have kids.

Last Fri, I drove 3 hours to hook up with a friend in another state, we went to an electronic music concert, and we had a blast, we left the concert at 2 am, we hung out after and I drove back at 4 am, got here at 7 am.

Slept for a couple hours and went to a friends house for lunch and met some awesome people, I was so tired afterwards but this weekend was AMAZING! Essentially, I am doing some of the same "crazy things" I used to when I was 19 and I love it!

If I was married, obviously it would be impossible to do these things, but some of the thoughts that have been crossing my mind lately is that, I love this single lifestyle too much and maybe I don't want it to ever change!

Is it natural to feel this way at 35? I am more than convinced than doing what I want is what makes me happy but I wanted to hear some opinions
My guess is that you are immature, or at least many people will think that. I have a similar mindset to yours but rather than label myself as immature, I consider myself young-at-heart. I think it's the same thing as immaturity, just from a different perspective.

I don't do a lot of "young stuff". I doubt I will go to a Lady GaGa concert, for example. But I went to a car racetrack on Friday night with a friend. And I go out hiking with my camera whenever I have the inclination and the time.

For me, I'll actually have to want to get married before I will. And children are still another mile down the road beyond that. Unlike many, I have dismissed any timetable for such things. Given the rocky road so many people have with marriage, my day for marriage may never come. If not, so be it. I'm not worried about it. Others are worried about it for me, but I'm not concerned. I am enjoying myself and am very conscious of the freedom my lifestyle affords me. I do not take it for granted.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
I honestly don't think most married guys are truly happy with their lives. It seems like many get married just because "it's what you're supposed to do" by a certain age and to make others, such as parents/employers/social circle, happy. I can't tell you how many married/engaged friends of mine are borderline miserable whenever they hear about what I did during the weekend or whatever.

And all this stuff about "you can have just as much fun while married" is hogwash. Most married guys usually have very little freedom to go out without their wives on a regular basis.

Yeah, right. That's why most men who divorce remarry, most men who separate from their wives to "see what's out there" come back asking for a second chance, and married men live longer than single men: Because they hate being married so much and it's so awful for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
Please note that I said "most" married guys, not "all" married guys, so if you let your husband come and go as he pleases, then he must be one of the lucky one's who's not on a leash 24/7. However, you said he's a homebody so he probably doesn't prefer the single life anyway. Most married guys are not allowed to just run around and do whatever like their single counterparts. It just doesn't happen.
On a leash? Allowed?

Oh, please. A man will not do what a man doesn't want to do, and if a man really, truly wants to do something, no one will be able to stop him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I still don't understand why people are so focused on the lives of other people.
Not to cherry-pick, but whether it's relationships, sex, careers, money, or even just plain old gossip and trolling (not that Midlantic is trolling, just negative), usually when people focus on what others do or have, it's because they have no lives of their own.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:24 PM

52,272 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I think that the OP has posted similar threads before... or at least posted the same sentiments.

Hey... if you're happy, they don't like your lifestyle, tell them to hit the f ing bricks....

I get the same sorta attitude from people when they find out that I'm not married to "Mrs. Chow"

It's none of anyone's business, as long as you aren't hurting others.....

Old 06-03-2012, 04:27 PM

199 posts, read 391,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Yeah, right. That's why most men who divorce remarry, most men who separate from their wives to "see what's out there" come back asking for a second chance, and married men live longer than single men: Because they hate being married so much and it's so awful for them.

On a leash? Allowed?

Oh, please. A man will not do what a man doesn't want to do, and if a man really, truly wants to do something, no one will be able to stop him.

Not to cherry-pick, but whether it's relationships, sex, careers, money, or even just plain old gossip and trolling (not that Midlantic is trolling, just negative), usually when people focus on what others do or have, it's because they have no lives of their own.
Good point.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think that the OP has posted similar threads before... or at least posted the same sentiments.

Hey... if you're happy, they don't like your lifestyle, tell them to hit the f ing bricks....

I get the same sorta attitude from people when they find out that I'm not married to "Mrs. Chow"

You're not married *gasp*

LOL...I kid, I kid!

Old 06-03-2012, 04:34 PM

52,272 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
You're not married *gasp*

LOL...I kid, I kid!
LOL, yeah, and next month is our 20th "anniversary"

Old 06-03-2012, 04:34 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:

Wwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa???????!!!!

I never knew that. But hey love is love.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
LOL, yeah, and next month is our 20th "anniversary"

Awwww!!!! Congratulations. And Anniversary does not need to be in quotes.

My husband and I started dating 20yrs ago this past May.

I swear I haven't aged a bit though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships