Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,682 times

Advertisements

I am 35, single, no kids and I am really enjoying my life right now, I would say, 90% of my childhood friends are married and have kids.

Last Fri, I drove 3 hours to hook up with a friend in another state, we went to an electronic music concert, and we had a blast, we left the concert at 2 am, we hung out after and I drove back at 4 am, got here at 7 am.

Slept for a couple hours and went to a friends house for lunch and met some awesome people, I was so tired afterwards but this weekend was AMAZING! Essentially, I am doing some of the same "crazy things" I used to when I was 19 and I love it!

If I was married, obviously it would be impossible to do these things, but some of the thoughts that have been crossing my mind lately is that, I love this single lifestyle too much and maybe I don't want it to ever change!

Is it natural to feel this way at 35? I am more than convinced than doing what I want is what makes me happy but I wanted to hear some opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,714,689 times
I'm 31. It gets old.....fast.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:54 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
Not if you're married to the right person.

If you're married, and it's impossible to do these things, then you're doing it wrong.

You're married, not dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
If I was married, obviously it would be impossible to do these things

Old 06-03-2012, 10:01 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
I am 35, single, no kids and I am really enjoying my life right now, I would say, 90% of my childhood friends are married and have kids.

Last Fri, I drove 3 hours to hook up with a friend in another state, we went to an electronic music concert, and we had a blast, we left the concert at 2 am, we hung out after and I drove back at 4 am, got here at 7 am.

Slept for a couple hours and went to a friends house for lunch and met some awesome people, I was so tired afterwards but this weekend was AMAZING! Essentially, I am doing some of the same "crazy things" I used to when I was 19 and I love it!

If I was married, obviously it would be impossible to do these things, but some of the thoughts that have been crossing my mind lately is that, I love this single lifestyle too much and maybe I don't want it to ever change!

Is it natural to feel this way at 35? I am more than convinced than doing what I want is what makes me happy but I wanted to hear some opinions
Yeah, it is. Everyone loves freedom!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post

If you're married, and it's impossible to do these things, then you're doing it wrong.

Totally agree here.

Marriage doesn't have to be the "ball and chain" as some think. If one doesn't feel like they have freedom within their marriage, maybe they are married to the wrong person?

Old 06-03-2012, 10:06 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Back again for another round of this?

Let me guess: You met someone you liked, briefly dated, and then it didn't work out, so now you will come here and proclaim yet again that you love being single and don't need anyone.

Methinks though dost protest too much. It's like you're trying to convince yourself. You're 35. You shouldn't need anyone's input on this at this point. You should know yourself well enough to know what you want. If you were secure in your path, you wouldn't seek validation every few months.

Good grief. Admit that you are lonely and want love and a girlfriend already.

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/relationships/1404636-why-not-get-married-50-a.html[/URL]

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/relationships/1426169-alpha-male-mentality.html[/URL]

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/relationships/1405159-how-old-too-old-playboy.html[/URL]

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/relationships/1432968-emotional-push-pulling.html[/URL]

Yet, when you meet someone you like, you get hung up on her in record time.

[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/relationships/1390338-omg-what-hell-wrong-people.html[/URL]

Old 06-03-2012, 10:07 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post

I agree! I'm not sure why some of the single people on here think that they will have no freedom, no fun, no life, etc. once they get married. Who are they planning on marrying that would make their life such a living hell? Why would they want to marry that kind of a person? Don't people realize that they have a CHOICE as to who they have relationships with? I would never have married someone that took away my freedom!

Oh yeah - to the OP - how on earth would WE know if YOU are happy? Can't you figure that out for yourself?

Old 06-03-2012, 10:13 AM

150 posts, read 250,965 times
Quote:
Yep, for a man who "has his act together" being single in your mid 30s can be some of the best years in your life. I was dating like crazy, traveling everywhere, and living life freestyle during those years. You are peaking at that time but you will reach a point where you want share those great times with someone besides your buds. So be careful not to slide into your 40s too far without having the experience of getting married or having children. Because life is just better when you can create great memories with people who you love.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,714,689 times
I think we need to be careful and not hide in denial when we say that we enjoy this kind of lifestyle. I was of the same mindset until I turned 31. I don't know what happened, but literally overnight I could not be single anymore. The other issue I had was lack of confidence. I needed to turn all that around, so I began to listen to talks from motivational speakers and finally got it in my head that things WILL change if you change the way you look at them. The important thing to know is that it's not where you are coming from that matters....but it's where you are going. Remember Waldo Ralph Emerson said..."Do the things you fear....and the death of fear is certain." If you fear rejection from women, then keep going up and getting rejected! The more you fail, the closer you get to succeeding. Eventually one will say Yes. The problem is that people stop at the first rejection and never get back up. A good baseball player can make it into the hall of fame if he gets a minimum of 2 hits out of 10 at bats in his lifetime. The law of averages...it's a numbers game. Not everyone can say no to you.

Now get out there and start talking to people. That's IF you don't want to be single forever...hehe.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:49 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,682 times
I am not looking for validation, I was just wondering what other people think of people who don't conform to the norms, honestly, this is absolutely the lifestyle I have chosen and I don't see any logical reason to change it(yet)

Most single women my age, here in Iowa are desperate to get married and have kids, actually I broke up with my last girlfriend because her desire to get married and have another kid was beyond obsessive, a major turn off.

It seems like a lot of people who get married, simply give up on themselves, start to gain weight, don't have any personal goals and ambitions anymore and I could never settle for a life like that.

I am sure I may change my mind in 10-15 years but I just don't see any benefits in getting married at this point in my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships