Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:45 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times

Advertisements

I tried salsa lessons a long time ago as a way to meet women, but I already knew that I loved to dance in general, even if I had never especially liked salsa music (and had positively dislike it at one point). I soon found that I absolutely loved it, and it's stuck with me for many years now.

I'm not a particularly hot, stud-like guy (well, even less so now than when I first started taking dance lessons), but I have generally felt very welcomed by women in every dance class I've taken (which includes some other styles, including non-partner dancing like a jazz samba class I took repeatedly which was about 95% female).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 02:35 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,637,781 times
It's not strange for a guy to take a dance class as some guys are interested in dancing either as exercise, a hobby, or a competitive sport.

In my experiences it has been strange for a single guy to take a dance class to learn how to dance rather than to meet gals as in all my and my gal pals classes every single guy has been there to meet gals. Hence why I don't speak to the guys at the dance class and bring a guy friend who enjoys dancing to my classes informing the dance instructor he'll be my only dance partner.

I think it's probably best suited to if you haven't already realize that you may meet more gals however that doesn't mean they'll be interested in you as a friend or partner. It's probably better suited to question yourself why you think dancing would be a nice confidence booster as in needing external validation/attention from gals for confidence or learning a skill.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Default No.

Women love a guy who can move I think. Dance is an art form.

I don't dance though, i did once after sticking a fork into a wall outlet though.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeland121 View Post
Hello. I was wondering if salsa dancing or dancing in general is a good place for a guy to meet women. I’m interested in getting to know more women (not looking to hook-up) and I think a dance class might give me that opportunity. I’m 19 and very active so the cardio aspect alone interests me along with the incentives of talking to women. I haven’t danced since junior high when the PE teachers made us, so I’m not sure how often guys attend these things. My concern would be I might be considered a creep the moment I show up and then be looked down upon. This would also be a nice confidence booster. Anyways, let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

As long as your first goal is to learn to dance. It is awkward when a guy tries to hit girls up during dance classes. Rather try to learn to dance and use those skills on the dance floors outside of dance classes to getting to know girls.

On my dance class there is one couple which met during classes but that is rare.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:38 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeland121 View Post
Hello. I was wondering if salsa dancing or dancing in general is a good place for a guy to meet women. I’m interested in getting to know more women (not looking to hook-up) and I think a dance class might give me that opportunity. I’m 19 and very active so the cardio aspect alone interests me along with the incentives of talking to women. I haven’t danced since junior high when the PE teachers made us, so I’m not sure how often guys attend these things. My concern would be I might be considered a creep the moment I show up and then be looked down upon. This would also be a nice confidence booster. Anyways, let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
It's not strange. I know a man who took dance classes and he's pretty popular with women. Go for it and enjoy!

Old 07-04-2012, 04:04 PM

545 posts, read 908,420 times
Lots of single men at Midsummer Night's Swing in NYC. I personally ignore any advances, am just there to learn some dance moves. But lots of connections appear to be in the making. Bollywood night tomorrow, can't wait!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Didn't read a single post on here, but I hope my advice is the same that everyone else's has been. Do exactly what you want to do , and if you want to learn to dance .. just go for it and enjoy it.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:43 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
I would rather skip the dance lessons and just meet women when they are dancing. . . . . .

erotically of course.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
Personally I love to dance, and I think a dance class is a good idea, if not to just meet women but to build your confidence. I don't think you would be looked down on if you seriously want to learn to dance and weren't just trying to pickup women. One thing to remember, if you don't have rhythm you will have a hard time learning to dance, if you can in fact, learn at all. Dancing looks easy, but is not for everyone.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:39 AM

522 posts, read 342,612 times
nah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships