Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a friend and she mentioned she was dating a guy, nothing sexual just dating but she needed to get out and meet more men and not put all her eggs in one basket. Our guy friend said that if the guy she's dating catches wind she's dating other men, its going to lesson his desire to pursue anything serious with her.

So I want to get your thoughts on does a woman dating more than 1 guy at a time send the wrong message to men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Why would it send the "wrong message"? If a man does it, it's just accepted as something that men do........

It sends no more of a message than it would if it were a guy dating multiple women.

I think your guy friend who made the remark is a guy that cannot deal with a woman that DOES date several men at once. There are a lot of guys that cannot deal with that.

I would have no problems with dating a gal that is dating other men. As long as she is respectful when it's our time to date, than I am fine with it.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 PM

420 posts, read 877,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Our guy friend said that if the guy she's dating catches wind she's dating other men, its going to lesson his desire to pursue anything serious with her. ...does a woman dating more than 1 guy at a time send the wrong message?
Well I can see why it would with some guys who might not be as sure of themselves as they could be. But not in my case. I mean, men have shopped this way for eons. So if shes not in a relationship, what really is the difference? Sure, she might have a few more fish in her pond. But then, a confident, fast swimming fellow, well...

Old 03-26-2011, 12:37 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I was talking to a friend and she mentioned she was dating a guy, nothing sexual just dating but she needed to get out and meet more men and not put all her eggs in one basket. Our guy friend said that if the guy she's dating catches wind she's dating other men, its going to lesson his desire to pursue anything serious with her.

So I want to get your thoughts on does a woman dating more than 1 guy at a time send the wrong message to men?
The only "message" any guy who likes a woman should get when other guys want to take her out too is that she's very desirable.

If your guy friend isn't interested in a desirable woman then HE'S the one with the problem, and I certainly wouldn't follow his advice.

Until you are ready to be exclusive with someone you SHOULD date as much as you want.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:41 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,542 times
I think it's true that many guys can't/won't pursue a woman when there are other men in the picture. The real question is whether she should alter her dating strategy to accommodate those men when it is not in her best interest to do so.

My opinion is no, she shouldn't.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:41 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,626 times
it may mean you get around

Old 03-26-2011, 12:44 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I've been out of the game for quite a while, but my take on it would be if she is respectful of our time, like Ron said, and also if we we're moving towards getting more serious, obviously I'd like her to not see other people.

Kinda a grey area.... I suppose.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:45 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
If I wasn't ready to settle down and wanted to date that person and others, I would let them know that I'm not ready to settle down and that I'm dating others so that he knows where he stands and he can date others too.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I think it's true that many guys can't/won't pursue a woman when there are other men in the picture. The real question is whether she should alter her dating strategy to accommodate those men when it is not in her best interest to do so.

My opinion is no, she shouldn't.

Guys like that have issues and are likely not good catches anyway.

She shouldn't make their problem hers, like you said

Old 03-26-2011, 12:52 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,976,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've been out of the game for quite a while, but my take on it would be if she is respectful of our time, like Ron said, and also if we we're moving towards getting more serious, obviously I'd like her to not see other people.

Kinda a grey area.... I suppose.
Yeah this was kind of my stance too which is why I started the thread to get others opinion. She doesn't want to tell the guy she's still "looking" so what if the guy has developed pretty strong feelings for her and he's not aware that she's still "shopping" but under the impression that they're moving toward something serious and if that is how he's feeling, I doubt he would be ok with her still looking. I think she really wants to be more with the guy however she's afraid to voice that to him so she wants to date other men until he says he wants a committed relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships