Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Would you date a non-drinker?
Yes.

[more beer for me]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 PM

545 posts, read 908,766 times
I have dated two non drinkers.... it's doable, but not preferred. BTW both were in 'recovery'. That is basically what I find at my stage of the game...the non drinkers have had issues in the past. Neither judged me. Both weren't upset if I drank in front of them, however I never went past a glass or two of wine at dinner. But, as a person without substance abuse problems...even at my age...every once and awhile I like to let loose and get faced at my favorite haunt... something you can't do with a non drinker. It is fun to date someone who doesn't mind doing that with you ever now and then. Yeah maybe I sound immature...but hey it's me. LOL

Old 06-08-2012, 03:07 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think the real question is, would a non-drinker date a drinker?

If you don't drink, being around drunk people is absolutely no fun.

Drunk people frequently make asses of themselves.
True, but there's a difference between someone having a glass of wine with dinner and someone pounding shots.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
that is all i date.
if i meet a woman in a bar i know 3 things already
she likes to drink
she likes bar people
she likes bar games

Old 06-08-2012, 03:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I've tried it twice...neither time it worked out, but not necessarily because of the drinking, but rather because of the 'holier than thou' judgemental attitudes both of them had about drinking. If I wanted to go to a wine festival, one of them would ***** and moan about how stupid it is to have a festival for alcohol and how all the people who went are wasting their money etc etc. I happen to like wine, and enjoy meeting all of our lovely local wine makers.

The other guy...we'd be sitting at a restaurant and someone else in the place would order alcohol and he would go on a mini rant about how it's stupid to pay money to 'destroy ones braincells' etc. I basically couldn't drink in front of him at all because he would flip out.

So yeah...I'm super hesitant dating someone who flat out doesn't drink. I love microbrews and I go wine tasting and so do most of my friends so it would be a compatibility issue. I'd love to meet a guy who wanted to brew our own beer

Old 06-08-2012, 03:12 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,427,612 times
Why are they a non drinker? Because they are hyper religious? Probably not gonna work out.

Because they are a recovering alcoholic? Probably not gonna work out.

Because they are simply uptight? Probably not gonna work out.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
I don't drink during the week, but i have a few on the weekends. If she doesn't mind me opening a few bottles of Blue Moon or having a rum and coke or 2 on Friday/Saturday then we'll be OK.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:

Uh, not everyone who drinks does it to get drunk.

I can't even remember the last time I got drunk...years, maybe...I don't know.
But I drink a few times a week (glass of scotch after work, etc).

To answer your question, I have dated a non-drinker, and it was never an issue.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:42 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I am with a non-drinker. I was also a non-drinker until I was 37. I don't really know if I am a true drinker or not. I may have a mixed drink every two months or more. I think I was having a little more than that before I met him but now hardly ever.

When I did not ever drink I would rather have not been with a drinker. When I was drinking casually, I would not want to be with someone who drank more than casually.

I am fine with being with a non drinker now, and I would be fine being the same...

Old 06-08-2012, 03:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:

But not all people who drink are drunks. I barely remember the last time I was inebriated, it was so long ago, but I for sure will have a glass of wine of an evening, or a beer at a ball game whenever I like.

Being around perpetually wasted people isn't fun for most people, whether they are teetotalers or people who drink responsibly, whether they drink occasionally, or regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships