Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times

Advertisements

Or does love follow a distant second to money/status and sex?

I constantly hear about 'deal breakers', women wanting this or that, or men being superficial - honestly, it sounds like most people don't follow their 'heart', but choose a partner like they'd choose an appliance, or an insurance policy or, at least, a new car.

There's the 'aesthetic' component, but it seems pretty shallow. Looks, money, status...It seems that 'true love' doesn't really factor into it, maybe just superficial 'crushes' which even now seem to factor into it less and less.

Historically have most partnerships really been held together by 'love' or has it been things like convenience, or family, or monetary gain? Why should it suddenly be any different because Hallmark makes it out to be so?

What's so special about the modern era that we're so 'enlightened' that we 'marry for love' instead of other reasons.

In other words, while marriages aren't arranged, they seem just as driven by money as they ever were. Indeed, the most romantic period of history seems to be over. Less ladies and gentleman, less courtship, less sentimentality, less commitment, more emphasis on physical gratification and selfishness.

What's your take on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,551,091 times
I actually don't think anything has changed in thousands of years on this subject. Some people marry for love and love alone and some with other motives. People haven't changed and society hasn't either. As it states in the Bible, "There is nothing new under the sun".

Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I actually don't think anything has changed in thousands of years on this subject. Some people marry for love and love alone and some with other motives. People haven't changed and society hasn't either. As it states in the Bible, "There is nothing new under the sun".
Pretty much. The whole idea that only now we marry for true love en masse is fairytale BS. I guess maybe I should grow cynical and toss the crock called 'love' out the window. What is love, really, but chemicals in the brain designed for a purpose.

Maybe she doesn't really love me, maybe it's just proteins or amino acids or neurons in her brain. So sex and love are both purely physical. Unless you believe love is in another dimension.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:21 AM

218 posts, read 506,894 times
Love = sexual attraction + friendship.
If that's not the case, then it's not love, it's simply putting up with someone so as not to be lonely (aka what most couples do).
Marriage does not help because of all the legal benefits. Abolish marriage, or eliminate all legal benefits, and things will be better.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:37 AM

727 posts, read 1,534,284 times
I am looking for love. I will admit that I have my own standards and deal breakers, but that's only because I know what I am attracted to.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:44 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,290 times
Capitalism / inflation is really the cause in the change of attitudes... it's more about social status and survial and keeping my standard of living so modern relantionships, especially amoug the youth is more business than anything else.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
Default Love is...

About togetherness, Support, Kindness, future, And as I have learned....Sharing. I was a lone island for FIVE years, With the exception of an occasional visitor that rowed back out to sea after a short visit. This island has 2 residents now.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:09 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Or does love follow a distant second to money/status and sex?

I constantly hear about 'deal breakers', women wanting this or that, or men being superficial - honestly, it sounds like most people don't follow their 'heart', but choose a partner like they'd choose an appliance, or an insurance policy or, at least, a new car.
This doesn't describe romance, it describes a business transaction. "Romance" and "love" are pretty synonymous. I'm thinking your question might be better worded: "Have we lost sight of romance in modern dating?" I haven't heard these terms "deal breaker", "bring to the table", etc. until joining C-D. No one I know, of any age group, thinks in these terms. It's sad that there seems to be so much of this around. Is it really that common, or is it more of a C-D phenomenon?

Old 07-22-2012, 12:25 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This doesn't describe romance, it describes a business transaction. "Romance" and "love" are pretty synonymous. I'm thinking your question might be better worded: "Have we lost sight of romance in modern dating?" I haven't heard these terms "deal breaker", "bring to the table", etc. until joining C-D. No one I know, of any age group, thinks in these terms. It's sad that there seems to be so much of this around. Is it really that common, or is it more of a C-D phenomenon?

It's not. People will disqualify each other for the most mundane reasons-Zip codes, Hairstyle, Taste in music and film and anything that bothers them about the person's past(This comes up a lot) which could include almost anything that makes them feel threatened in the present time.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Me either. If that's how dating is in the States it seems no better than reality TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships