Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:24 PM

64 posts, read 243,629 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. This is a topic that fascinates me.

Is there someone who is our best match hanging out somewhere in the world (notice I didn't say "perfect match". Best match. Best possible match.)

What are the chances of running into that person, recognizing them as the best match AND having the timing and availability right?

If you travel a lot, are you more likely to meet your best match?

Is your best match from your same cultural background or language group? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 02:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
I think there's multiple people out there for each person, for the most part. I don't buy into the concept of "The One."

But it's gonna be different for each person.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:30 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
I'm not sure there's a "best match". I think there are a variety of good matches. We shouldn't think there's just one magical person out there who's the perfect match. The relationship is only as good as the qualities each person (including us) brings to it. To think there's only one person out there most suited for us, and that we have to find that person (good luck!), is to operate from a view of scarcity. To know that there is a variety of people out there that suit us each in unique ways (and we--them) is to approach the issue from a view of abundance. Which do you prefer, scarcity or abundance? Your odds are better if you go with abundance. But it's your call.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:38 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Hmmm...

I consider myself a pretty weird person. I don't like the things that most people around me like, and I dislike things that everyone around me likes. (Did that make sense? LOL). So, I disagree that there are many people for me. I was lucky to have found the person who "gets" me. He gets the fact that I abhor crowds, parties, attention of any kind (even though he is the opposite). He gets the fact that I can't name the latest hip hop artist but I know the name of many British actors/actresses. He gets the fact that I wouldn't know a professional football player if I stumbled across him - but I can name several pro bodybuilders.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my husband knows (and tolerates) all of my quirks that makes me "me". Many boyfriends in the past just didn't get me.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Agreed. Culturally, we are conditioned to think that there is a monogamous partner who best fulfills us. In actuality, probably not.

I do a lot of statistical analyses at work, and got to thinking about compatibility. Perhaps there are five or ten people out there who would rate 83% compatible with me, but one who rates 85%. That is my idea of "best match": though that 2% margin is small, this individual is the most compatible person I could possibly be with. Then I started to think about what that means-- is cultural background a big component? Where would that person be? How probable would it be that our paths would cross? If we were compatible, we may like a lot of the same places, but life events might cause is to live far apart from one another. There I digress into more of the romantic stereotype about meeting "the one". But it really comes from ideas about how likely we are to be compatible with another person.

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
I do think there is someone for everyone out there. Whether or not we find that someone is a different story. I also think we need to be open to the possibilities.

My sweetie is someone I never even dreamed I would be with. He was not my type at all. I was going to pass him by.

Now? He is the best thing that has ever happened to me in the world and I love him dearly. We compliment each other well.

For me, I had to take a chance, and it paid off.

748 posts, read 1,314,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not sure there's a "best match". I think there are a variety of good matches. We shouldn't think there's just one magical person out there who's the perfect match. The relationship is only as good as the qualities each person (including us) brings to it. To think there's only one person out there most suited for us, and that we have to find that person (good luck!), is to operate from a view of scarcity. To know that there is a variety of people out there that suit us each in unique ways (and we--them) is to approach the issue from a view of abundance. Which do you prefer, scarcity or abundance? Your odds are better if you go with abundance. But it's your call.
I agree with you on this, once the relationship gets started, it will only go as far, and as good, as both people make it. However, I do believe there is that one person who will be your better match, who will get you and you him/her. Who will be your equal partner 100%/100%.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:40 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Hmmm...

I consider myself a pretty weird person. I don't like the things that most people around me like, and I dislike things that everyone around me likes. (Did that make sense? LOL). So, I disagree that there are many people for me. I was lucky to have found the person who "gets" me. He gets the fact that I abhor crowds, parties, attention of any kind (even though he is the opposite). He gets the fact that I can't name the latest hip hop artist but I know the name of many British actors/actresses. He gets the fact that I wouldn't know a professional football player if I stumbled across him - but I can name several pro bodybuilders.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my husband knows (and tolerates) all of my quirks that makes me "me". Many boyfriends in the past just didn't get me.
YOU ARE MY TWIN! I am like you in all the ways you listed above. I know that I am ...weird. And he just happens to get me and can handle my ways...

Old 08-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I do think there is someone for everyone out there. Whether or not we find that someone is a different story. I also think we need to be open to the possibilities.

My sweetie is someone I never even dreamed I would be with. He was not my type at all. I was going to pass him by.

Now? He is the best thing that has ever happened to me in the world and I love him dearly. We compliment each other well.

For me, I had to take a chance, and it paid off.

Haha, that is exactly my situation as well! I wouldl have NEVER in a million years picked the guy I am currently dating on the basis of type alone. But we are so weirdly in tune with one another, its difficult to ignore. Once we got together, I was shocked at how attracted I was to him.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 PM

144 posts, read 201,217 times
Yes. I met him when we were both 10. LOL. I just said he is 'the 1' for me because what i felt that day was the first and looks like the last weird sensation i have ever felt in my life. Noone has made me felt that way again, EVER.

That's why i said in the other thread of a what if - i have no hesitation being a homewrecker for him.

I saw his facebook recently was surprised how it hurts me to see his pic with his wife (lucky biatch) sitting on his lap .

Crazy,,, crazy stupid love for that guy after all these years WTF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships