Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 02:56 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2012 View Post
You sound a lot like me, man (based on some of the posts I've read....haven't read the whole thing though).

I'm 25, just getting out of a dysfunctional home life, and I get girls without really trying and with 0 confidence.

The only difference is that I'm actively seeking a relationship and getting destroyed. Well, I also did have one relationship that ended 5 years ago (and ended badly). Until very recently, I was running away from commitment, but, like I said, now I'm not and I'm getting my sh*t destroyed by girls.

Thus, I have no advice. Just letting you know that you have a brother in arms
I hear ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Good advice, common sense too.

I'm self employed right now...

I know all about Awkward moments.

SHERYL: Who the F*** is Rosie!!!

T. JENKINS: Uhhhh...
well they say friendship behaviors is what lands guys in the friend-zone, and once your in the friend-zone, usually there is no way out of it

Old 09-12-2012, 04:59 PM

In many cases, they were never interested to begin with. Friend zone is basically their way of saying, "Ewwwwww, don't touch me, don't even look at me."

What you want to do is be assertive. But don't be pushy.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
I would probably say...

You know this is a good question. I think the best thing I would do is talk with her. If she has a boyfriend, she will eventually refer to him. Otherwise, don't ask right away. There is a way to work it in. I probably wouldn't ask her the first time I meet her.

You probably could ask for her number. They might give the information at that point.

There really are no guarantees. Some women with boyfriends would still not let you know. (That would mean that there is something wrong either with her, the boyfriend or both).

All I can say is take it really slow.
During your initial conversation she will probably bring it up, if your unsure then simply ask her. Be clever about it though. Say something like "Your boyfriend doesn't mind you talking to other guys?" or you can say "hurry up and give me your number before your boyfriend comes back." Do it in a joking matter though.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
During your initial conversation she will probably bring it up, if your unsure then simply ask her. Be clever about it though. Say something like "Your boyfriend doesn't mind you talking to other guys?" or you can say "hurry up and give me your number before your boyfriend comes back." Do it in a joking matter though.
That sounds good. You can be playful about the matter.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:09 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Quote:
In many cases, they were never interested to begin with. Friend zone is basically their way of saying, "Ewwwwww, don't touch me, don't even look at me."

What you want to do is be assertive. But don't be pushy.
really, do you think that is how it is most of the time, the friend-zone is a gentle way of rejection?

Old 09-14-2012, 03:56 PM

Pretty much. At least 51% of the time. Especially to men who overplay their niceness. (Act too nice to the point of bringing out discomfort.

Of course, there are other reasons why women friend zone. (Not ready for a closer relationship). But typically, they are just letting the "friend" off easily.

A woman saying "Let's just be friends" is a lot like a guy saying "It's not you, it's me."

Old 09-14-2012, 04:06 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Can anyone relate, or am I a weirdo? (Please tell me that I'm a weirdo)
T, I believe anyone that is honest with themselves can and does relate. You are not a weirdo (sorry), but actually quite normal. The human psyche is very complex and has all sorts of pits to fall into if you allow it.

I once read a quote that I loved: (paraphrased)"My mind is a very scary place; I try not to go there alone." I cannot remember the author, but I could certainly relate.

As for relating... have you never had a friend? Whether you have, or not, a GF is just a friend, if she's worth calling a GF. If you cannot be a friend first, it's just wasting time. Don't be one of those callous, insensitives that use a woman only for her body. That would make my sincere effort here a sham, and I would be disappointed.

I am 100% certain that somewhere within eye contact distance from you right now, if you could see through walls or whatever, there is a woman that needs a friend. Why don't you try making a friend, first. That person might not ultimately become a GF, but it's a start and gives you more practice.

Keep making friends. Somewhere along the way, if you are sincere in your friendships and genuine in your caring, you will find yourself in the midst of caring women.

Then your problem will be in liking too many. We can have that conversation later.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:14 PM

Thank you for your response.

I do have quite a few friends actually...

I'm with you on insensitivity and callousness. I couldn't be that if I tried.

I agree with the quote that you paraphrased. My mind is a scary place. I did go there alone. I came back much more developed and mature.

The funny thing about liking too many women, is that it almost never is one woman that likes me, in a lot of cases I end up with at least 3 women that have some kind of interest in me.

It's a double edged sword. On one hand I like all of them, and at the same time, I only have room for one.

I suppose I could try to set them up with my friends.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 AM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
well they say friendship behaviors is what lands guys in the friend-zone, and once your in the friend-zone, usually there is no way out of it
Sure, there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships