Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2012, 07:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
Well, I did text my friend from the grocery store earlier to ask what a girl has to do in this town to turn a head since the short skirt wasn't doing it. So much for the myths about meeting someone in the produce aisle!
Oh sweetie...didn't anyone ever tell you??? It's the BEER aisle!

No man is going to buy himself fruits and veggies...hang out by the steaks, sausage, beer and chips

Old 08-17-2012, 07:27 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Um yes it is. While I'm looking at phone I can still answer people's questions, keep the conversation flowing, ask questions as well. I'm not saying "huh", "repeat that" or "excuse me". People can do more than one thing at a time, you know?
That's not "communicating." That's answering a question. You can answer questions with out being fully present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
It's called "face-to-face" communication for a reason, people. Eye contact is the only way for the other person to firmly establish you're listening to them, especially if they barely know you. Plus, noting the other person's body language and facial expressions really helps to make your conversation more effective.
And not just when you are meeting someone - face to face communication helps in all conversations.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
Quote:
Um yes it is. While I'm looking at phone I can still answer people's questions, keep the conversation flowing, ask questions as well. I'm not saying "huh", "repeat that" or "excuse me". People can do more than one thing at a time, you know?
This is just tragic.

You don't even know what you're losing.

Basic conversation skills and human interaction is pretty much vital to a successful life. You and your "multi tasking" buddies will all come to a point in life where you will wish you had listened properly.

Last edited by MsAnnThrope; 08-17-2012 at 08:04 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Oh sweetie...didn't anyone ever tell you??? It's the BEER aisle!

No man is going to buy himself fruits and veggies...hang out by the steaks, sausage, beer and chips
Sigh. I can't keep it all straight! (Is there an app for that?)

Old 08-17-2012, 08:09 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,507,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
This is just tragic.

You don't even know what you're losing.

Basic conversation skills and human interaction is pretty much vital to a successful life. You and your "multi tasking" buddies will all come to a point in life where you will wish you had listened properly.
I would agree if we were at a library or somebody's house. We're at a bar. It's loud, people are drinking. Trust me there is no meaningful conversation going on lol. I betcha know one can remember what we were talking about after the 2nd shot of patron. It's not that serious.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
I would agree if we were at a library or somebody's house. We're at a bar. It's loud, people are drinking. Trust me there is no meaningful conversation going on lol. I betcha know one can remember what we were talking about after the 2nd shot of patron. It's not that serious.
Even better - it doesn't matter because you guys are too drunk! LOL!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:15 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
If you don't want to be social and converse with the people in your presence remove yourself. Work the room and find someone else you may click with but don't stand there and whip out your phone as a display of how much you are not into them or the conversation rather than having the stones to tactfully tell them and move on. That's nothing more than a b*tch move (males or female) .
I fail to see how being on your phone is any different than spacing out but people don't get all worked up about that. Group situation, multiple conversations going on in a bar setting, nothing wrong with being on your phone. Also, as an introvert, sometimes you can't escape the table if it's too cold outside or there's really nowhere else since it's too crowded, and being on the phone be it texting or surfing the net is my escape from too much conversation and stimulation.

People, it's all about context and situation.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:18 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Super annoying. So unattractive. Way to let the girl know you're crazy.

Unbelievably this has happened to me several times. The last time was at a pub style place a couple of blocks from my home, out with my roommate. These dudes were sending us over rounds of drinks. As I got up to go the bathroom, I thanked them, whatever. Came back and one of the dudes was actually really interesting, cute and non-creepy so when they stopped me I started talking to them. Eventually one of them grabbed my roommate too to join us. We're having a good time, getting tipsy. One of them starts dominating the conversation with me, which I found annoying but whatever he seemed ok. Muscular, guido-ish, attitude. I notice he is slowly getting more obnoxious and he's kind of giving me some attitude as I'm getting a little colder. Meanwhile I'm texting several people as usual.

Then he tries to grab my phone, basically demands to know who I'm speaking to, and accuses me of being a b****. How can you just meet someone and try to grab their phone??? How ridiculous. Crazy alert. So I basically continue ignoring him. Eventually he leaves, but not without throwing rolled up napkins on me on his way out.

I wish I could say this is the first time I just met someone out and they demand to know who I'm speaking to or why I'm on the phone. None of your business! I really cannot understand male behavior.
he called you a B?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:34 PM

33 posts, read 119,387 times
OP, that guy did you a favor by telling you that within the first thirty minutes.

You quickly realized this guy is a deuchebag and not worth investing any time into. Think about if he played nice and polite for a long time and gradually let the real him come out. That would have been a much more heartfelt disappointment and a waste of your youth and time with him.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:01 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
There! Right there is why people have a problem with all the texting. Getting on your phone while someone's talking to you indicates exactly what I put in bold, that you don't consider what they have to say or the conversation in general important.

In the moment, at least, I would say that anyone who is speaking believes that what they're saying is meaningful. If they didn't, they wouldn't waste their breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.